PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Roleplaying Forlorn Elves

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-03-17, 03:44 PM
While this is about Pathfinder, it's more about its setting than its rules. One interesting concept Pathfinder introduces is the idea of elves who grew up among non-elves, usually humans. These elves are referred to as "Forlorn" and are supposed to generally by cynical or sad because of watching their friends grow old and die before their eyes.

I thought that a Forlorn would be the best excuse to play an elf paladin, as elves are generally depicted as Chaotic or flighty.

I was just wondering what kind of viewpoint such a character would take. The descriptions are very vague, but I know I don't want this elf to be a whiner or constantly singing morose songs about death. That's not a good attitude for a paladin or any other adventure for that matter. How would they view "normal" elves? What would make them interested in, say, crusading for justice and peace in the world?

The only real idea I've got is that he sees humans as having great drive and ambition because of their relatively short lives, while viewing his own kind as somewhat lazy. He sort of combines the drive of humans with the long view of elves, dedicating himself to long-term projects to help others, that he's got a lot of time to live, so he wants to fill it by dealing out as much justice and doing as many good deeds as time will allow. Am I on a good track here?

Shadowknight12
2012-03-17, 04:13 PM
You have basically three attitudes that make the most sense:

Humans have taught you that life is to be lived to the fullest and embraced because there might not be a tomorrow. This branches off into two directions: Either you became a risk-taker and took up a dangerous life (like adventuring), or you became an elf that makes sure they engrave every moment of joy they share with their shorter-lived friends, because you never know what might happen tomorrow. Maybe they won't die, but they could get married and have a kid, and they won't be your bachelor buddies anymore (or they might get a girlfriend and start doing grown up stuff, so they won't be your playmates anymore). It's all about the carpe diem.
You got attached to someone who died and learnt the lesson the hard way. Now you are not exactly cynical or jaded, but you keep your heart safely tucked away in a box. You joke and have fun and live life like a normal person, but you never, ever get attached. You don't have actual friends, just an endless string of buddies and are more of a one-night-stand kind of elf. You have your own goals and plans for the future, and you tend to focus on that (because that's what you rely upon to be happy, you can't rely on people because they grow old and die too fast, so you're left with your dreams to bring you satisfaction in life).
You are officially cynical. You think the worse of everyone and everything because that's what life taught you. People will NOT be there for you when you need them, you can only rely on yourself, everyone is out for themselves and love is both a lie and a joke. You can also branch off in this one, you can be a smart alec about everything, honing your acidic wit like a rapier, or you can be outwardly bitter and scornful, whichever suits your character best.

All in all, it helps if your character has some overarching goal that fills the place of actual relationships (unless they want to meet fellow elves for that) and something to occupy their time.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-03-17, 04:32 PM
Well, since the character I'm developing is for a game of Kingmaker, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. His goal is initially fulfilling the duties of the charter and once the kingdom is founded, it becomes protecting the interests and people of that kingdom.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-17, 04:32 PM
If elven development is proportional, I wonder who has it worse, the human caregivers or the elven child.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-03-17, 04:34 PM
Considering he's a paladin, I was thinking of having him raised as a temple kid. He didn't have parents so much as he had church leaders.