View Full Version : Immortality?

Hitaro9
2012-03-17, 06:41 PM
Hey, are there any 1 level dips into classes/ or a +0/+1 template that make you immune to aging? Not just the negative effects of aging, but actually being able to live for ever.

Studoku
2012-03-17, 06:45 PM
My first thought would be Necropolitan. You lose a level in the process- slightly better than LA +1 but you get the undead type. This gives you a crapload of immunities and, as an undead, you don't age.

EDIT: It's in Libris Mortis

Hitaro9
2012-03-17, 06:47 PM
I'm playing a saint right now, and I don't think my DM would like a saint that would willinging become Undead. =p

Flickerdart
2012-03-17, 06:47 PM
Fey may or may not age (depending on the DM) so Feytouched (+1) or Unseelie Fey (+0) can get you the type for that.

FearlessGnome
2012-03-17, 06:57 PM
As far as I know, the only ways to become immortal involve taking a prestige class to the end or becoming undead/deathless.

Elans don't age, apparently, but when you undergo the transformation you drop permanently to level 1 and lose all your memories, so that's kind of a background choice.

Cloud Anchorite, from Frostburn, is the only class I know of that makes you truly ageless without changing your type into Fey/Construct/Outsider/Undead. Still have to take all 10 levels, though.

Stick with mortality and just make sure your DM knows you want to achieve some sort of non-aging in the epilogue. Reward from a deity, perhaps. You're a Saint, so making you an Outsider in service of Good wouldn't be that strange if you could prove exceptionally worthy (Like, by defeating the final villain and stuff)

Elfinor
2012-03-17, 07:37 PM
There's a somewhat comprehensive list of ways of obtaining immortality here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1179). Note that it mentions Wedded to History (feat, DR 354) as a method of obtaining immortality: this is based on a serious misinterpretation of the article and should be ignored.

Other (alignment incompatible) methods:
The Athasian Dragon (Dragon 339) is an epic class that gives immortality.
The spell Ensul's Soultheft (Waterdeep) allows you kill people with intelligence drain, thus draining their life force.

EDIT: There's also a 'good lich' template in Libris Mortis (p. 156). It doesn't have a listed LA, so it's either intended purely for DM use or meant to use standard Lich (+4) LA:smallconfused:

Telonius
2012-03-17, 07:56 PM
Not a one-level dip, but Green Star Adept's capstone will do that for you.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe that the "Eternity of Torment" spell from BoVD can basically make the target live forever. (In the context of the spell, this is not a good thing).

Petey7
2012-03-17, 08:56 PM
Races of the Wild has Killorens, which are fey with 0 LA and 0 racial hit dice. The book states that they age, but they never reach the vanerable age catagory and are immortal (pg. 106).

Calanon
2012-03-17, 10:25 PM
There's also a 'good lich' template in Libris Mortis (p. 156). It doesn't have a listed LA, so it's either intended purely for DM use or meant to use standard Lich (+4) LA:smallconfused:

Good Lich is a possibility, Variant Lichs are exactly the same as its main counterpart unless otherwise noted, However the saint template makes him a Native Outside so thats out the window, maybe a Variant of Lichfiend... :smallconfused: I can't imagine why a Saint would become a Lich though... The Saint Template is really screwing your ascension to immortality really... Unfortunately the forces of good really enjoy having there champions die of old age... :smallannoyed:

EDIT: Beloved of Valarian and Swanmay are both in the Book of Exalted deeds and both give immortality.(and HEY they both require you to be female...)

Beloved of Valarian gives it at level one and Swanmay gives it at level 10... imho? They both suck...

Silva Stormrage
2012-03-17, 10:29 PM
Here is a good handbook

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

Raimun
2012-03-17, 10:58 PM
Path to True Immortality:

1) Get to Epic Level.
2) Travel the planes in search of battles and enemies to slay.
3) Fight.
4) Win.
5) Every time you get an Epic Feat, take Extended Life Span (Epic Level Handbook).
6) Repeat ad infinitum.
7) Immortality.

Calanon
2012-03-17, 11:01 PM
Path to True Immortality:

1) Get to Epic Level.
2) Travel the planes in search of battles and enemies to slay.
3) Fight.
4) Win.
5) Every time you get an Epic Feat, take Extended Life Span (Epic Level Handbook).
6) Repeat ad infinitum.
7) Immortality.

You do realize at around level 60 or so you have to start dropping gods just to be able to level up after that right?

Particle_Man
2012-03-17, 11:04 PM
Quick and dirty:

Leadership feat - Druid cohort. When you die, get reincarnated in a nice new young adult body. When the cohort dies, get a new druid cohort.

Jack_Simth
2012-03-17, 11:15 PM
Quick and dirty:

Leadership feat - Druid cohort. When you die, get reincarnated in a nice new young adult body. When the cohort dies, get a new druid cohort.Or take enough levels in Druid, yourself, and get Craft Contingent Spell for Last Breath...

absolmorph
2012-03-17, 11:17 PM
You do realize at around level 60 or so you have to start dropping gods just to be able to level up after that right?
Yeah, you'll probably run out of gods.

MammonAzrael
2012-03-17, 11:43 PM

Then you just start picking fights with things like "Time" and "Death." If they're dead you can't die, right? :smalltongue:

Calanon
2012-03-17, 11:51 PM

Well I was think that the character in question would have become a deity... since they just ya know, killed a god (Which even for a level 200, maybe higher character is impossible for) (of course without a Divine Rank)

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-18, 12:37 AM
Really, read the handbook that someone linked to already! It TOTALLY answers this question.

It also talks about how Extended Life Span is a terrible, terrible, terrible feat, and does not actually get you anything like Immortality. Look elsewhere.

Elfinor
2012-03-18, 04:34 AM
Good Lich is a possibility, Variant Lichs are exactly the same as its main counterpart unless otherwise noted, However the saint template makes him a Native Outside so thats out the window Derp derp derp. You're right. It wouldn't be too unreasonable to houserule for it to go ahead anyway. If it helps convince him (or you), there are a few more examples of good liches in Monsters of Faerun.

Here is a good handbook

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0 Same thing I posted up before. It's probably worth repeating that Wedded to History does not work the way the handbook says it does, by RAW and RAI.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 09:43 AM
Quick and dirty:

Leadership feat - Druid cohort. When you die, get reincarnated in a nice new young adult body. When the cohort dies, get a new druid cohort.
That's my go too method as well. Another fun thing is that you get to keep your untyped mental score bonuses from ageing.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

Raimun
2012-03-18, 10:14 AM
Really, read the handbook that someone linked to already! It TOTALLY answers this question.

It also talks about how Extended Life Span is a terrible, terrible, terrible feat, and does not actually get you anything like Immortality. Look elsewhere.

Sure, it is terrible if you can't keep it up. This is the real man's immortality.

FearlessGnome
2012-03-18, 10:20 AM
That's my go too method as well. Another fun thing is that you get to keep your untyped mental score bonuses from ageing.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

Elves live for centuries. In their nightmares, they remember the cabals of goblin druids that come swarming out of the woods with +12 to all mental stats at an age where elves are not even considered Adult yet.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 11:02 AM
Sure, it is terrible if you can't keep it up. This is the real man's immortality.
If you mean the player archetype, the Real Mans immortality is the story the players still tell years later.
Interestingly enough, this is also the Loonies immortality as well.
They just tend to be different stories.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-18, 11:20 AM
Why doesn't Wedded to History work the way the book says it does?

What about the Kissed by the Ages spell? I especially like using that one.

Also, Last Breath is great at doing the Immortality thing too. Love that spell.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 12:17 PM
Elves live for centuries. In their nightmares, they remember the cabals of goblin druids that come swarming out of the woods with +12 to all mental stats at an age where elves are not even considered Adult yet.
The good news is that will never happen as goblins rarely live to even their old age, let alone more than once. :smallamused:

Hitaro9
2012-03-18, 01:31 PM
Thanks a lot guys! The handbook you guys posted was really helpful. Sorry for the late response, but I appreciate the help. You can consider this thread closed.