PDA

View Full Version : Specific Armor...

SSGoW
2012-03-17, 07:05 PM
I remember being told about a Fullplate set of armor that is essentially made of razors, thus giving damage during a grapple (no matter who starts the grapple).

I know 4e has something like this but I was told back in college that there was a specific hafling barbarian build that wears this type of armor.

I'm making a Totemist and I'm thinking either Sonic the Hedghog or Blanka from street fighter.

Is this a real armor?

And it wasn't armor spikes, well not that I know of since those won't give free attacks during a grapple.

Agent 451
2012-03-17, 09:00 PM
I don't know if there is a specific armour like the one you recall (although there may be), but you can add razors to armour for 50gp. They work exactly like armour spikes, but deal slashing damage. They're in Underdark I believe.

Darrin
2012-03-17, 10:05 PM
I remember being told about a Fullplate set of armor that is essentially made of razors, thus giving damage during a grapple (no matter who starts the grapple).

Well, there's Armor Razors in the FR Underdark book, which are basically armor spikes but they do slashing damage... and they can deal extra damage with a successful grapple check, but I'm not sure if that's on any grapple check, or if that's just if you decide to attack with the razors while in a grapple.

There's also Razor Armor from Book of Vile Darkness. It's +2 scale armor, not full plate, but it does 2d6 slashing damage whenever you make a successful grapple check.

In the Arms & Equipment Guide, there's the Acidic property. It does 2d4 points of acid damage "per round of contact in a grapple", but doesn't really explain how that works. Less damage than the razor armor, but based on how it's worded, it would deal damage in a grapple regardless of whether your make any successful grapple checks or not. (It also provides continuous acid damage whenever you want it... burn through doors, stone walls, create your own tunnels, etc.)

Then there's Hamatula Barbs in the Planar Handbook, but they only add +1d8 damage to an unarmed strike or natural weapon. That could be used in a grapple, but doesn't trigger by itself on any grapple check.