PDA

View Full Version : Use Magic Device Optimization?

imneuromancer
2012-03-17, 07:53 PM
For some reason the Giantitp search isn't working properly, and a Google search didn't turn up anything interesting, so here goes:

So I was thinking about how one would optimize a class that can Use Magic Device. I read the spell "Sign" in the Spell Compendium and did a double take: how awesome would it be for my wizard to be able to UMD that spell! Makes me almost want to take Lore Master PrC just to get that sweet UMD goodness.

But before I go down that path, what other low-level spells from ALL of the spell lists would be good for low-level wands? Particularly, any "personal" spells for which a wizard would benefit.

If there is a UMD or low-level wand optimization thread somewhere, much appreciated if someone could send the link along!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-17, 07:55 PM
Just cast/wand Nerveskitter and never look back.

Urpriest
2012-03-17, 08:25 PM
Sign itself is less nice than Nerveskitter, at least debatably. But in general, there isn't a handbook like that that I know of. It's a very nice idea for one though. You could probably crib from a few Rogue, Artificer, Familiar, and Skill-Gish handbooks for material.

deuxhero
2012-03-17, 08:53 PM
If you didn't alreddy know, Cure Light Wounds on a wand is the best method of healing in core (Outside of combat anyways, but inside combat healing is generally pointless).

imneuromancer
2012-03-18, 12:49 AM
Nerveskitter takes your immediate action, which means no swift or "quickened" action. That is the downfall of Nerveskitter at anything past 9th level (say).

Also, Sign and Nerveskitter would stack. Normally you wouldn't be able to get them both (otherwise I am sure they would have typed the bonuses), so being able to cast them both would be awesome.

For example, it would be relatively easy to do the following for initiative:
+2 DEX (I am going low here, DEX items would up this of course!)
+5 Nerveskitter
+4 Sign
+5 Insight from the Warning weapon property (Magic Item Compendium, p. 46)
+4 Improved Initiative
----
+20

For a wizard to be able to get a +20 initiative is huge. If you can get a +15 and still have your swift action for quickened spells in the first round of combat, that is even better!

Alienist
2012-03-18, 07:46 AM
If you didn't alreddy know, Cure Light Wounds on a wand is the best method of healing in core (Outside of combat anyways, but inside combat healing is generally pointless).

Heal called and wants it's 150 hit points back.

... I think you hurt its feelings ...

sonofzeal
2012-03-18, 07:54 AM
*coughWandofLesserVigorcough*

Cruiser1
2012-03-18, 07:58 AM
+5 Insight from the Warning weapon property (Magic Item Compendium, p. 46)
Add the Eager +1 weapon property (MIC) for another +2 untyped bonus to Initiative. Also, wear a Belt of Battle (MIC) for +2 competence to Initiative, or better yet cast or UMD the 2nd level spell Primal Instinct (DM) for +5 competence to Initiative.

Answerer
2012-03-18, 08:14 AM
He did say "in core" – Lesser Vigor isn't in core. I know it's in Spell Compendium, not sure where it was before that (assuming it was anywhere).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-18, 09:29 AM
Use Martial Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) to get Improved Initiative instead of Scribe Scroll.

Get a Hummingbird familiar (Dragon 323, Thrush stats, +4 initiative), via the Obtain Familiar feat if necessary, and use the Elf Wizard 3 racial substitution level (RotW).

Now you have +12 initiative without even considering your Dex bonus or any spells like Sign, Nerveskitter, Moment of Prescience, etc.

As for optimizing UMD, an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) is often your best option for maximizing a given skill check.

Cieyrin
2012-03-18, 10:17 AM
He did say "in core" – Lesser Vigor isn't in core. I know it's in Spell Compendium, not sure where it was before that (assuming it was anywhere).

It was in Complete Divine before.

Particle_Man
2012-03-18, 11:44 AM
Well, Warlock 4 can take 10 on UMD checks, which would reduce the chance of mishaps and eventually guarantee success on such things as wands.

Jeff the Green
2012-03-18, 12:44 PM
I don't think pumping UMD checks is going to help much, like some have suggested. If you're UMD focused, you're going to want Warlock 4 or some other feature to take 10, and the highest DC you'll need to hit is 34 (to cast level 9 spells from a scroll). Assuming you start doing that at level 17, you make it with even 10 Cha and no feats (take 10 + 20 (ranks) + 4 (synergy))

For any lower level, you can hit anything DC of 16 + level (20 + level for scrolls) with nothing other than ranks and 16 Cha (10 + 3 (Cha) + 4 (synergy) + (3 + level) (ranks))

This means wands at 4, scrolls at 6-14 (or earlier, depending on your ability scores), emulating race at 5 and alignment at 10. With a masterwork tool, reduce those by 2, and by one level for every two points of Cha above 16.

There's no need for feats (though Nymph's Kiss + Skill Focus potentially lets you cast Gate from a scroll at level 7), and certainly not for an item familiar.

Get a Hummingbird familiar (Dragon 323, Thrush stats, +4 initiative), via the Obtain Familiar feat if necessary, and use the Elf Wizard 3 racial substitution level (RotW).

If you're going for UMD fun, you don't choose a hummingbird. You go with a raven (or Improved Familiar).

gomipile
2012-03-18, 01:42 PM
Heal called and wants it's 150 hit points back.

... I think you hurt its feelings ...

Heal can't be cast spontaneously by a stock cleric since it doesn't have the word "cure" in its name. There are many spells a cleric can prepare in a 6th level slot which will help the party much more than 150 points of healing, even in core.

Rubik
2012-03-18, 03:26 PM
The Shape Soulmeld (Mage's Spectacles) feat from MoI grants you a bonus to UMD and lets you use it untrained.

The synaptic mask (from Hyperconscious) can let you use a skill shard (from Expanded Psionics Handbook) forever so long as you don't remove the shard, and that means you can gain a +10 to UMD for 4000 gp (though you'll have to add it to your headband of Int, as it takes up the crown slot).

A circlet of persuasion can also be added to your headband of Int for another +3 to all Cha skills.

A marshal/bard with Inspire Competence and Motivate Cha can give you some really nice bonuses. Grab one as a cohort.

And the best 1st level wands I've found so far have been Lesser Vigor, Benign Transposition, Entangle, Resurgence, Protection from Evil, and Shock and Awe (though the latter is better off as one of your spells).

Oh, and UMD the night hag's heartstone (check the MM). That price is the market price, according to Savage Species, so go nuts. Also, add horseshoes of the zephyr, horseshoes of flame, and horseshoes of speed to your boots slot. UMD 1/hour for awesome.

Person_Man
2012-03-18, 03:36 PM
Arcane Schooling feat: You’re treated as having one level of one arcane class for the purpose of activating spell trigger items. Totally negates the need for the UMD Skill, assuming that you can content yourself with just using Sorcerer spells. Player’s Guide to Faerun pg 33

A single level of Marshal (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) can give you the Motivate Charisma aura, which adds your Charisma bonus to all Charisma based Skills and checks for you and all allies within 60 ft.

Laniius
2012-03-18, 07:20 PM

That's why he said "core".

Soranar
2012-03-18, 07:38 PM
Spell choice wise, you've pretty much been covered so far.

As for other ways to bolster your UMD.

A lesser half-giant (no stomp, not naturally psionic, no STR bonus, LA 0) with the primordial giant template (STR -4 , CON -2, INT +4, CHA +4) gets a few nifty abilities and a racial +2 to your UMD checks (on top of the Charisma bonus). It also adds warlock as your favored classes if you intend to go warlock 4.

Basically that race/template combo (though it significantly gimps your physical stats) gives you a +6 to UMd checks.

That's even higher than a dragonwrought kobold, I don't know any other race with a better bonus.

Everything else I can think of has been covered already.