PDA

View Full Version : [PF] An Amusing Reading of a Magical Item

balistafreak
2012-03-18, 03:36 AM
May I direct you to the Bandages of Rapid Recovery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bandages-of-rapid-recovery)?

These linen bandages have the same color and softness as the feathers of a dove, but their antiseptic smell suggests a less natural origin. Any creature wrapped in these bandages recovers from wounds and ability damage each day as if receiving complete bed rest regardless of activity. A creature actually receiving long-term care (from the Heal skill) or complete bed rest while wearing the bandages gains a +4 bonus to its effective level or Hit Dice when determining how many hit points it recovers each day. The bandages are destroyed once removed or when the wearer recovers all hit points and ability damage, whichever comes first.

From my understanding, you can wear these bandages forever, as long as you make sure that you end each day with HP damage sufficient to prevent the bandages from falling off next morning.

If you need to, you can cut yourself to ensure that such HP damage occurs. Say you have an oath to spill your blood in the name of your cause every day - whether through battle or your hand, if need be.

WildPyre
2012-03-18, 05:39 AM
You'll have to make sure you wake up every day down by at least 1hp, but yeah seems like you could do that.

2xMachina
2012-03-18, 10:09 AM
Bandages of Rapid Recovery mummy!

marcielle
2012-03-18, 10:19 AM
Just have someone with infinite cantrips acid spalsh you till appropriate health values are achieved. I like it. Kudos, compadre.

Cieyrin
2012-03-18, 10:54 AM
It wouldn't be that much of an issue if it did run out, as all you'll be out is 200 gp for a new one.

Chained Birds
2012-03-18, 04:54 PM
I actually made a NPC that looks like a mummy and is suffering from a debilitating disease and uses these bandages to heal his wounds so he can last longer.

Drelua
2012-03-18, 05:43 PM
Now all we need is a way to do two points of ability damage every day to a useless ability score. Drop it by 3 one day, then two points every day after that. It may not be a good trade, but you'll only be down one point for most of the day if you do the 2 points of ability damage right before you rest. It's better than having to be splashed with acid every day. Just set one of your less useful scores to an odd number, and you won't even have any penalty for most of the day!

Chained Birds
2012-03-18, 05:46 PM
Now all we need is a way to do two points of ability damage every day to a useless ability score. Drop it by 3 one day, then two points every day after that. It may not be a good trade, but you'll only be down one point for most of the day if you do the 2 points of ability damage right before you rest. It's better than having to be splashed with acid every day. Just set one of your less useful scores to an odd number, and you won't even have any penalty for most of the day!

Perhaps that psionic feat Body Fuel?

Drelua
2012-03-18, 05:55 PM
Perhaps that psionic feat Body Fuel?

That could work, but it would be a lot better if it could just be damage to one score, instead of all three physical scores. Is there any way to, say, give yourself a couple points of charisma damage? I'm not sure if you'd even be able to heal fully with your constitution down 3 points.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-18, 05:58 PM
IIRC Body fuel causes Ability burn which can only be healed at a 1 per day rate, regardless of anything.

Cieyrin
2012-03-18, 06:06 PM
IIRC Body fuel causes Ability burn which can only be healed at a 1 per day rate, regardless of anything.

Ability Burn doesn't heal naturally any slower than regular ability damage, it just can't be magically or psionically restored. If you have a higher natural heal rate, you'll get back more ability points. They have a feat in XPH specifically to increase ability damage natural healing, which I'm sure got transferred to the new PF Psionics books.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-18, 06:18 PM
I see, should have checked the SRD before posting.

Jack_Simth
2012-03-18, 06:45 PM
From my understanding, you can wear these bandages forever, as long as you make sure that you end each day with HP damage sufficient to prevent the bandages from falling off next morning.Problem: The bandages do not specify that they check once per day.

If you're going the HP route, you'll need to pretty much make certain that you're always injured, as any time you 'top off', the bandages drop. If you're using ability damage... you're probably getting it from a spell (or a psionic power - Ego Whip probably does well), in which case.... why bother with the bandages, when you could instead use that spell / those power points for the healing you'd be getting from the bandages?

balistafreak
2012-03-18, 06:54 PM
Problem: The bandages do not specify that they check once per day.

If you're going the HP route, you'll need to pretty much make certain that you're always injured, as any time you 'top off', the bandages drop. If you're using ability damage... you're probably getting it from a spell (or a psionic power - Ego Whip probably does well), in which case.... why bother with the bandages, when you could instead use that spell / those power points for the healing you'd be getting from the bandages?

At lower levels (1st-3rd), when it's difficult to overheal without meaning to, that can't be that hard.

By 3rd level, you've probably picked up a party wand and have stopped caring about a 2x natural healing rate anyways.

It's still funny to think about, though.