PDA

View Full Version : Emotion-triggered powers

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-18, 06:03 AM
So I've been thinking... once upon a time in a superheroic game I GMed some of the mutant characters acquired magical abilities. I thought it was cool because, A, the players liked it, B, it allowed some interesting situations with power detection and inhibition (like, an inhibitor collar disabling only mutant powers, and magical abilities wouldn't work in Doctor Strange's mansion, something like that), and C - roleplaying opportunities.
One of the characters met Peter Pan, and he liked her enough to grant her the ability to fly. In order to use this ability, she needed to think happy thoughts - like meeting an old friend after a long time, or receiving a gift of pretty flowers, something like that. When later she suffered an emotional trauma, she lost her flight because she just couldn't feel happy.
Another character received a portion of Cyttorak's powers - he could summon the Crimson Bands, which were accompanied by the Juggernaut's force field to protect himself. Well, "could summon" isn't exactly right - it happened involuntary when he felt rage, which wasn't as easy as it was with happy thoughts. Anytime he got angry, it could result in chaos and destruction. The first time it happened it was caused by a bad dream.
Did you have fun moments with "roleplaying-triggered" powers in your games?