PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavia and The World: A Paradox Mega Let's Play

Shadow Lord
2012-03-18, 11:36 AM
So I want to do a let's play of the entire Paradox series of games; however, before I can do this, I want to have the communities opinions on the following things:

Should I use Crusader Kings: Deus Vult or Crusader Kings 2?
Should I play as Norway, Sweden, or Denmark? Or should I play as one of the minor counts or dukes?
Should I stay Christian, or convert to Norse Paganism?
What should my goals be? Creation of the Kalmar Union? Restoration of King Knut the Great's Empire? What should the goal be?

And that's it for now. Once I've gotten some opinion from the community, I'll begin.

Weezer
2012-03-18, 11:45 AM
I'd go with Sweden, because they're awesome, however Denmark has easier 'access' to the rest of Europe, so that may be a more interesting choice.

Also, I vote Crusader Kings 2, newer is better.

What other Paradox games are you thinking of playing through?

Shadow Lord
2012-03-18, 12:00 PM
I'd go with Sweden, because they're awesome, however Denmark has easier 'access' to the rest of Europe, so that may be a more interesting choice.

Also, I vote Crusader Kings 2, newer is better.

What other Paradox games are you thinking of playing through?

CK2/CK:DV==>EU3:DW==>Vic2:AHD==>HOI3:FTM. I'll likely implement a few mods in each of those games; I'm thinking Bella Gerant Alii in CK2, if that's implemented, MEIOU, or maybe Death & Taxes, for EU3:DW, the Victoria 2 Realism and Rebalance mod for Victoria 2, and I'm not sure if I'll mod HOI3 at all.

dgnslyr
2012-03-18, 12:35 PM
My knowledge of this game is limited to a wikipedia article, but I'll cast a vote for Denmark, because I have family living there, despite having no Danish ancestry whatsoever.

The Succubus
2012-03-18, 12:39 PM
Denmark, because my gf is Danish and therefore all Danes are awesome.

Weezer
2012-03-18, 04:00 PM
CK2/CK:DV==>EU3:DW==>Vic2:AHD==>HOI3:FTM. I'll likely implement a few mods in each of those games; I'm thinking Bella Gerant Alii in CK2, if that's implemented, MEIOU, or maybe Death & Taxes, for EU3:DW, the Victoria 2 Realism and Rebalance mod for Victoria 2, and I'm not sure if I'll mod HOI3 at all.

Excellent. This seems like a really cool idea, I'll be watching it closely

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-03-18, 06:07 PM
I doubt a real converter will be made by the time you finish CK2... Also, Sweden, BGA + Death traits mods, stay Christian, don't play for conquest.

Paradox Mega-games work best if you RP the entire time, rather than play for conquest or play to win. Because then you win the first game, then when you start EUIII you're already invincible. Make stupid decisions. Lose some wars. It makes it all more interesting.

Edit: Actually, considering converters only work for unmodded games, you're gonna have to do the conversion manually anyways, so nevermind that first comment.

EU3: MEIOU
V2: APD/PDM
HOI3: no clue
would be my recommendations.

Opperhapsen
2012-03-18, 07:13 PM
Denmark, and unite the kingdoms as soon as you can.

Selpharia
2012-03-18, 09:08 PM
Sweeden, because the idea amuses me. I don't know much about this series, but you need a Ranting Swede

The Nth Doctor
2012-03-19, 01:59 AM
I would say go with either Sweden or Norway, because you have better expansion options in CK2 at tge start as well as a good chance of running inti the hordes later on. I would say play as Jeruselem personally for a much more difficult early game, but not one so hard that you lose.

Good luck. Hope the Paradox Curse doesn't take you.

Sprinter
2012-03-19, 06:33 AM
1, CK2

2, Norway and start as count or duke. King is too easy and you miss half the fun CK2 has to offer.

3, Pagan Its more challenging. no mercenaries or holly orders to hire go for it. :D

Shadow Lord
2012-03-19, 10:03 AM
The count is currently looking at:

Sweden

Norway

1 1/2

Denmark

3 1/2

Denmark is narrowly ahead, but Sweden is right behind it, so who know what'll happen.

James the Dark
2012-03-19, 10:45 AM
I say Be Melancholy! Mad Danish Princes! Ear Poisonings! Revenge plots that leave everybody dead! DENMARK!

EDIT: And be as non-Christian as possible, for the hilarity of it.

Efil
2012-03-19, 10:48 AM
CK 2, Norwegian noble, and Pagan.

Shadow Lord
2012-03-20, 05:39 PM
Norway gained a point, and Denmark gained a point; I believe I'll close the voting on Friday.

Thanqol
2012-03-20, 05:47 PM
Play as Denmark, CK2 and Christian. Your goal should be the creation of a revaunchistic backwater existing on wings of spite and nationalism; a completely ruined corner of the globe that winds up dragging all of Europe into an endless bitter war. Raise prestige at any cost, even if that means damning the entire country's future.

Shadow Lord
2012-04-02, 11:25 AM
Hey, so my computer crashed. Until I can get the money to fix it, I'm gonna have to delay the LP until later. Howevr, I believe I should have the parts for repairs this weekend, so I might be able to start then.

RPharazon
2012-04-02, 11:59 AM
You're going to have to manually convert, sadly. Get used to modding in new countries, scenarios, and characters.

I vote for Sweden, since they start off interestingly in CK2.

No MEIOU or D&T during EU3, please. MEIOU makes everything painful and obfuscated, and D&T turns the game into insta-win mode.
Use PDM if you're going to use any mods in VickyII. Something that fixes the economy a bit, at least.
The Paradox Curse will get you.

Caewil
2012-04-02, 12:51 PM
Denmark and expand into Norway and the British Isles. The goal should be to set up a good situation for expansion in EU3.

Meiou is complicated, D&T is a decent mod. Agree with using PDM for VickyII - it has much more content than VRRP.

Thanqol
2012-04-02, 07:31 PM
Hey, so my computer crashed. Until I can get the money to fix it, I'm gonna have to delay the LP until later. Howevr, I believe I should have the parts for repairs this weekend, so I might be able to start then.

Paradox curse!

Murska
2012-04-03, 04:47 AM
Sweden, move into Finland and start as a Count there. This gives you the two tasks of uniting the North and defending against the East.

Shadow Lord
2012-05-12, 10:57 AM
So, for a while now I've been trying to fix an issue on my games. Sadly, I haven't been able to fix the issue I've been having; until such time as I have, I will have to put this LP on hold. If you'd like to see a demonstration of the issue I've been having, you can look in the spoiler.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/416435_3959014416687_1320073723_33634342_829380884 _o.jpg

Luhood
2012-07-20, 06:06 AM
I'd say start as a Swedish count/duke in Finland, seceed and form the Kingdom of Finland and then unite Scandinavia! :D

Either that or Norway and get "the Conqueror" in your bloodline! :) I'd love to see this one go through! :)

polity4life
2012-07-20, 06:26 AM
Play which ever country can export the most halibut and juniper berries. You must control those markets...

I have a feeling that country might be Norway.

As for religion and social policy, again, whatever pushes up the rents on your halibut/berry exports.

Your goal? I think it's obvious: Remove any competitors who seek to sell their halibut and berries.

Whichever game tickles your fancy. Crusader Kings 2 looks far more interesting to see or watch than Europa Universalis but that's only opinion.