PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Race Suggestion

LibraryOgre
2012-03-18, 01:17 PM
So, after my Half-giant psychic warrior straight-up died twice last game (once saved via hero points, the second time saved via DM ex machina), I decided to switch characters. As another player is switching, too (away from an Oracle of Pharasma), I'm going with the heal-monkey, he's going with a more punchy character (some variety of monk build).

I have my class build more or less decided upon.. Monk 1 (Flowing Monk archetype)/ Cleric 7+ (with both Cloistered Cleric and Merciful Healer variants; I have had this combination approved by the DM).

What I'm really looking for, however, is a race. The DM is pretty open to anything in the Pathfinder SRD that doesn't get too crazy (i.e. he's already said "Hell No" to Drow Nobles), and I'm looking at either an Undine or a Vanara. But I am not sure, and wondered if anyone had better suggestions, given the class build above.

We are currently in the Dragon Empires, so occidental races aren't entirely appropriate. However, most of the party is occidental races, already, so it won't be completely out of place, either.

Any preferences?

That_guy_there
2012-03-18, 03:50 PM
the fringe benefits of Vanara are well suited to this build... I like it.

grarrrg
2012-03-18, 04:07 PM
Any preferences?

Kender all the way!

But seriously....
Judging by your Given suggestions, you're trying to focus on Dex/Wis, and would probably prefer to be Medium....

Human: as always for the floating Stat, and bonus feat.
Dwarf: +Wis/Con, Favored bonus of additional uses of Domain power (although locking into Healing Domain only....ugh)

Monsters:
Drow Noble not allowed.
Grippli same stats as Undine, but small
Svirfneblin: -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Wis -4 Cha, Small, net -2 to stats, impossible to pronounce correctly (if at all...), possibly overpowered.
Tengu: +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Wis
Tiefling: Take the Fiendish Heritage Feat, then your stats can be whatever you want (most likely Asura spawn +2 Dex/Wis, -2 Int), VERY possibly overpowered.

3rd Party (on srd)
Kval: +2 Dex/Wis -2 Cha, TINY (but can use Small weapons)
High Goblin: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Cha, Small

Your best choices look to be Human, Tiefling, Undine, or Vanara.

Chained Birds
2012-03-18, 04:22 PM
I'll second Tengu. Though they don't fly (I think) even though they appear as a bird-like race with wings, they do bump up good stats and have the fun ability to use any "Sword like" weapon in existence. They do give some examples for weapons they can wield, but my favorite is cutting down a club into a bokken so you have a Bludgeoning "Sword like" Weapon.

Truthfully, I just prefer being a bird dude who can look through weapon loot piles and say "Looks like a Sword to me," and wield it with some liberal amounts of creative interpretation. :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2012-03-18, 07:42 PM
Well, while talking out the character (while doing laundry), I went with a Vanara. I am a knowledge, healing and trip-monkey monkey. This monkey is actually, in some ways, a better combatant than my Half Giant psychic-warrior was, which is pretty sad.

Blyte
2012-03-18, 10:43 PM
Have you considered human?

I would go with

Dex 16+ (+2 human) (+2 levels) = 20+
Wis 14+ (whatever you need to cast spells of your level)

the extra feat can help you make your character into a dex build, and just try to keep your wis high enough to qualify for your spell level.

1 (mnk bonus) improved trip
1 (level) weapon finesse (unarmed)
1 (human bonus) agile maneuvers
3 vicious stomp
5 fury's fall
7 selective channeling Combat reflexes
9 greater trip Selective Channeling

by 9th level you will be getting double dex to trip CMB, 2 AoOs when they hit the dirt, and still be able to fit selective channeling in there.

also by focusing more on dex you can really pack a punch when you wear an agile amulet of mighty fists giving you dex to damage with your attacks. I'm not saying to dump wis, just saying buy the minimum. definitely nab yourself a belt of +dex and another item of +wis of course.

You should have a pretty decent AC with this build, but don't buy too heavily into the wis to ac gimic, it may be a more solid option to go with armor and a shield. You could be a Captain America type with the shield and bare knuckles. It will hurt losing the Wis bonus to CMD though, ouch... it might be better to stick to unarmored.. With a +2 mithril chain shirt and a large shield +2 you get a decent bump to ac, but if you can get around a 20 wis with a +4 item, that 5 CMD bonus will be a tough loss.

edit: oops I forgot to squeeze combat reflexes in there, it's a tough loss but I would put it in instead of selective channel. this way you are a strong combat force still and a little less a heal bot. and actually you don't qualify for greater trip w/o CE (sorry it's time for rest, so making some mistakes).. so just toss selective healing in there I guess.

LibraryOgre
2012-03-18, 11:33 PM
Here's the final build, for those interested:

Vanara Monk (Flowing Monk) 1/ Cleric (Cloistered Cleric/Merciful Healer) 7

Str 12, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 22, Chr 14

Traits: Birthmark, Wisdom in the Flesh

Feats: Improved Trip (B), Scribe Scroll (B), Combat Expertise, Improved Reposition, Fury's Fall, Agile Manuevers.

30k of my 33k went into stat and other defense boosters... +2 Dex, Wisdom and Charisma, Bracers of Defense, Ring of Protection, Vest of Resistance. I sling a +18 on Trip attempts (CMB of 10, +5 for Fury's Fall, +2 for Improved Trip, +1 for MW Kama), which I can do as an immediate action when attacked. My main purpose? Run around and heal everyone.

I don't have Selective Channelling because my DM gave me a +2 to Charisma after everything else was set; I'll pick that up at 9th.