PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Walk the Walls and running

rmg22893
2012-03-18, 03:35 PM
So I'm playing a highly mobile, TWF character. I took the Walk the Walls skill trick. What I'm wondering is if I can take a run action as part of the skill trick, which would allow me to essentially run 75 feet up a wall in one turn. The skill description describes it as "running" up a wall, but the benefit text makes it seem related to Climb. Which one is it?

tyckspoon
2012-03-18, 04:06 PM
I think you can do that, yes. Normally, attempting to move up a wall would require a Climb check, with the attendant restrictions- losing Dex while climbing, requiring free hands, and so on. Walk the Walls lets you move without making a Climb check. That should mean that you can treat the wall as flat ground and move on it using any options you would use in normal movement- you're not Climbing, you're just moving in a different direction.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-18, 04:10 PM
How are you managing to be mobile and also do the TWF thing? TWF requires you to be stationary.

rmg22893
2012-03-18, 04:12 PM
How are you managing to be mobile and also do the TWF thing? TWF requires you to be stationary.

Pounce. I can charge up a wall with this skill trick ^.^

That_guy_there
2012-03-18, 04:16 PM
You could probably take a run action as the post above me suggests, but remember the text (which i cannot find online) says each 5 feet moved in this way costs 4 squares of movement and you must begin and end your travel on a horizontal surface.

And the skill trick would be counted among the Full round action it takes to run... so assuming an ajusted movement of 75ft, you'd be able to run 75ft up a wall.

Also a charge would be even shorter... working out to about 37ft if you had a movement of 75ft.

rmg22893
2012-03-18, 04:18 PM
You could probably take a run action as the post above me suggests, but remember the text (which i cannot find online) says each 5 feet moved in this way costs 4 squares of movement and you must begin and end your travel on a horizontal surface.

And the skill trick would be counted among the Full round action it takes to run... so assuming an ajusted movement of 75ft, you'd be able to run 75ft up a wall.

60ft movement speed base, with run feat, so 300 feet of movement with a run. that's 60 squares of movement, or 15 squares vertically, so 75 feet.

tyckspoon
2012-03-18, 04:18 PM
Pounce. I can charge up a wall with this skill trick ^.^

That might not be possible- the wall isn't difficult terrain, but it *does* require more movement than normal to move up (4 squares worth of horizontal movement for every 1 normal, mirroring how a normal Climb check lets you progress at 1/4 speed) and Charge requires

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles).

Anything that requires movement at greater than a 1:1 ratio (ie, 1 square's worth of movement moves you 1 square) is arguably hindered movement, even if there isn't actually difficult terrain or physical obstacles blocking you.

rmg22893
2012-03-18, 04:22 PM
That might not be possible- the wall isn't difficult terrain, but it *does* require more movement than normal to move up (4 squares worth of horizontal movement for every 1 normal, mirroring how a normal Climb check lets you progress at 1/4 speed) and Charge requires

Anything that requires movement at greater than a 1:1 ratio (ie, 1 square's worth of movement moves you 1 square) is arguably hindered movement, even if there isn't actually difficult terrain or physical obstacles blocking you.

Eh, probably DM discretion there. I don't foresee him having an issue with it.

That_guy_there
2012-03-18, 04:27 PM
:smalleek:
As Usual my math was off....

mattie_p
2012-03-18, 05:17 PM
If he does have issues with it (which I would as a DM), then you're looking for Up the Walls from EPH/SRD: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#upTheWalls)

While you are psionically focused, you can take part of one of your move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if you begin and end your move on a horizontal surface. The height you can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If you do not end your move on a horizontal surface, you fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for your distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring your movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; you can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as you move up the wall.

You must be psionic and have Wis 13. Wis should be relatively easy, obviously you must dip some kind of psionic. Get rid of the skill trick and get something else. Instead. Up the walls allows you to tumble on the walls to avoid AoO, ranks in tumble never hurt nobody.