PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Custom Versions of Specific Magic Weapons

Unusual Muse
2012-03-18, 03:44 PM
Is there any precedent for creating different versions of "specific" magic weapons? For example, in the SRD there is the Sword of Subtlety, a +1 short sword that grants +4 to attack and damage on sneak attacks. The character I'm playing now doesn't use a short sword, so I'd love to put the Subtlety quality on a different weapon. I can't figure out how I'd do this by cost... the cost of the Sword of Subtlety is 22,310, which puts it somewhere between a total enhancement bonus of +2 and +3, so I'm not sure what the Subtlety enhancement would cost to add to another weapon.

Thoughts?

rollforeigninit
2012-03-18, 03:52 PM
Generally, you deconstruct it by subtracting the costs you CAN account for. It doesn't always get to 100% accurate but (in this case), believe you subtract the costs of a +1 short sword (2310g) from the rest for a straight 20K. So, theoretically, you should be able to add this to another weapon for 20k. Easy for me to say, I DM 95% of the time so I can just hand wave it into existence.

tyckspoon
2012-03-18, 03:57 PM
Magic Item Compendium tells us that " You can increase the enhancement
bonus of these weapons or add more special properties just as you would for any other item." This obviously isn't the same thing as 'you can extract the special property and apply it to other items'... however, in order to change a specific weapon, you have to break down the cost and identify the value of the special property you're interested in anyway. So we do know that such breakdowns can be done, and once you know what that property costs it's a very short step to porting it to other weapons.

It also isn't a big stretch to create a 'Rapier of Subtlety' or what-have-you and then use the MIC statement to add whatever other properties you're interested in; the only cost difference is in the difference between the basic weapons, which is largely ignorable by the time you can afford magic weapons at all.

Andion Isurand
2012-03-18, 06:06 PM
I'd like to know the price breakdown of the Runestaff of Power (MIC 181) to know the price of its smite ability. I tried to do so earlier and it seemed under priced even before eliminating it down to just that ability.