PDA

View Full Version : One Question About Items...

SetArk
2012-03-18, 04:26 PM
I really doesn't remember, this may be an noob thing but..
Does Mundane weapons can damage magic weapons as well?
Idkn, my group gotten on an discussion about magic items..
One guy said that a wand could not be broken by mundane forces (Like taking it and break like an stick) that it should be broken by an weapon of higher caster level/Enchantment... (What got great jokes about an Unbreakable Wall of Wands)

So i question.. An.. Could an+1 Longsword, could be damaged by an sunder atempet lets say.. Of an Goliath Greathammer Master Work? Or it should be an +1 Goliath Greathammer <Or higher enchant bonus> needed to do a little scrap to that sword?

[Edit]
Forget that xD Allready found.. And really.. An Longsword +1 will never be even scrached by an mundane weapon...

tyckspoon
2012-03-18, 04:32 PM
Your group may (and probably will) have their own differing opinions and/or misconceptions about the rules, but by RAW:

Anything can break anything, if you can do sufficient damage to it. Wands, scrolls, and potions have no special protections for being magical, except in as much as they can get a saving throw against effects where a non-magical item wouldn't- if they wind up taking damage anyway (such as being unattended in a fireball or somebody making a deliberate attempt to break them) they are just as easy to destroy as a nonmagical stick, piece of paper, or small glass bottle would be.

Weapons and armor become more durable- they gain +2 Hardness and +10 HP per point of base enhancement bonus, so a +5 Sword is significantly harder to destroy than a +1 Sword. However, it is merely more durable, not invulnerable. A Sunder-optimized character can still destroy it pretty easily.

SetArk
2012-03-18, 04:35 PM
Page 222 DGM ;\
First line says "Hardness and Hit Points: An attacker cannot damage a magic
weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon
has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield
struck. Each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon’s
or shield’s hardness and hit points. (See Table 8–8, page 158 of the
Player’s Handbook, for common weapon hardnesses and hit points.)"

I'm sad now :\

That_guy_there
2012-03-18, 04:35 PM
Magic items can be damaged by any sort of item or effect just like a mundane item can.

Magic weapons and armor have increased hardness and hitpoints based on thier enhancement bonus (+2 Hardness, +10 Hp per point of enhancement bonus).

So your wall of wands isn't indestructable, it just takes a while to hack through, even with a normal, run of the mill weapon.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems

Edit: Is this 3.0 or 3.5... because i believe they toned down how hard magic items were to shatter/ break from 3.0 to 3.5.
I no longer have my 3.0 books to check that though....:smallfrown:

SetArk
2012-03-18, 04:44 PM
Well that's in my DGM 3.5 :/

There's any errata about that o.õ?

[Edit]
Just saw it... On the errata they say that the first sentence of that paragraph is wrong xD

"Hardness and Hit Points
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 222
Problem: The first paragraph is not consistent with similar
information for shields on page 217.
Solution: Delete the first sentence after the boldface header.
Change the next sentence to read as follows:
Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon’s or
shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points."

tyckspoon
2012-03-18, 04:44 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems

Edit: Is this 3.0 or 3.5... because i believe they toned down how hard magic items were to shatter/ break from 3.0 to 3.5.
I no longer have my 3.0 books to check that though....:smallfrown:

3.5 errata, actually. It was changed for consistency with the rules for shields on page 217.

SetArk
2012-03-18, 04:52 PM
Thx Guys ^^
Now i can go back preparing an encounter that make my players more.. sensitive to their equipament...

SetArk
2012-03-18, 05:17 PM
Err.. Srry for getting the topic again ^^"
Another little problem..

I'm looking for the armor hitpoints D: But i cant thind... It says to look on the table 9-9.. That table says to give HP To an armor for an amount of inch..
How am i able to measure an full plate thickness.. Or an breastplate..
There's a list over the internet? Or i just didn't found the book/table with the information of how to adapt that infos to the armors?

Petey7
2012-03-18, 05:25 PM
The only place I know to look is on Dand Wiki. Just click the link for each armor and it will tell you the hardness and hitpoints for each material and enchantment bonus.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Armor

SetArk
2012-03-18, 05:55 PM
I saw this site... Well for the basic armors everything is ok.. But i'm afraid kuz.. Knowing my players, some of then will run throgh mountain plates and so.. But thx ^^
It'll help..

Gnoman
2012-03-18, 06:06 PM
It's on the Common Armor, Weapon, and Shield Hardness and Hit Points in the special attacks section. Hardness is based on material, HP is 5x armor bonus.

SetArk
2012-03-18, 06:18 PM
Great *-*
Thx ^^"
I.. Think i'm blind now... I didn't saw it ._.'
I've got to get glasses...

Marnath
2012-03-18, 06:28 PM
Don't forget that the rules prohibit sundering armor that is being worn.

Keld Denar
2012-03-18, 06:28 PM
You aren't able to sunder armor. HP and hardness don't really come into play except for certain cases like with rust monsters, which have their own unique rules.