PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Animal Companion Improvement

Orsen
2012-03-18, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been looking through the Pathfinder SRD trying to find ways to improve my animal companion, but I haven't been very successful. I've gone with the bear shaman archtype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/bear-shaman) and so my companion is currently a small bear. Anyone have suggestions and how to improv his combat effectiveness?
I've just hit third level, and his feats so far are armor proficiency (light) and Power Attack. I can probably trade Power Attack for no issue. All suggestions welcome!

Engine
2012-03-18, 05:50 PM
Drop Armor Proficiency.
You could give the bear a masterwork studded leather that has +0 penalty, so it wouldn't have penalties to attacks and skills even without the proficiency.
Take Improved Natural Attack instead.

Bhaakon
2012-03-18, 06:52 PM
Improved natural attack has a +4 BAB requirement, which an animal companion can't meet until its level 8 feat.

Engine
2012-03-18, 07:00 PM
You're right, my bad.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-18, 07:10 PM
Didn't pathfinder take the armor proficiency rules from 3.5e to stop that option? Of not being proficient in 0 acp armor not mattering?

Personally, I usually just try and homebrew a 3.5e Fleshraker into Pathfinder.

As best as I could figure, it's statistics were this:

Starting Statistics: Size Small, Speed 50 ft, AC +1 Natural Armor; Attack: 2 claws (1d4 plus poison [frequency 1 round (6), effect 1 dex damage, cure 1 save, con-based DC]), bite (1d4); ability scores str 13, dex 19, con 13, int 2, wis 14, cha 12; special attacks Rake (1d4) (on charge or normal grapple); special qualities low-light vision, scent

7th-level adcancement: Size Medium; AC +2 natural armor; attack 2 claws (1d6 + poison), bite (1d6 plus trip and grab), ability scores str +4, dex -2, con +2; special attacks grab, pounce, rake (1d6 on pounce, on charge, on normal grapple, or on grab via bite), trip

Mostly... just buff your bears. Also see if you can get useful feats on the creatures, especially 3.5e feats that might fit.