PDA

View Full Version : Wizardly Graduation [IC] [3.5 Single Class: Wizards]

graham82
2012-03-19, 08:00 AM
Parting Out
You all stand in front of the great gates to the Mages Guild, on the island of Cenday, with the imposing building of the guild behind you and the ocean in front of you. The small group of you is all that is left of the Novitiates for this years Parting Out ceremony, and you stand here in front of the guild leadership awaiting the details of the graduation quest that you are to perform. Along either side of the great pathway to the top of the cliffs are the students from guild, come to see you off into the world as they all hope to themselves in the years to come. In front of you stand the First Eight - the leaders of each of the eight schools of magic. This year, Eridus Fansoon - First Wizard of the school of Divination - stands at the front to lead the procession.

You stand before us, Novitiates of the 5th year in the Guild. Each one of you has studied hard, and done well to get this far in your studies. And now you have the greatest challenge yet to face before you will be considered to have Graduated and become full fledged Wizards in the eyes of the Guild, and thus the World.

As you know, in order to become Wizards you are all required to complete the Graduation Quest. This quest will be difficult, and dangerous. And it is entirely possibly that you will not survive that which you are put through to achieve it. But if you do, and you return here you will have rightfully earned your place as Wizards of the Guild.

As always, the Quest is one that will test you to the full range of your abilities, whilst at the same time bringing benefit to the Guild, and thus the World. The Quest this year is the recovery of an ancient suit of armour, forged ten centuries past by Dorian the ForgeFather, who I am sure you will remember from your studies we have much to thank for the development of many crafting and enchanting techniques that we still use today. The relic in question is the Mage Bearer, lost 700 years ago when the wearer was slain in battle defending the world from the evil that was coming out of The Witchfells. For centuries it was thought to be lost, but in recent months we have come across rumours of it being present in the world.

Your quest is to recover the entire suit, or to ascertain where the pieces are that can not be recovered. As always, you have 9 months in which to return here having accomplished your goal in order to be awarded your graduation.

Now, to make things a bit easier for you, our sources have informed us that the helmet was last sighted in the Free City of Taremon, on the border of Salovia and Galera. It is suggested that you start your quest there. However, it is entirely up to you where you wish to head first, and how you wish to approach this. The mission is entirely in your hands. Transportation to wherever you wish to start will be offered to you by means of the Guild Teleportation Circles. After this, you are on your own.

Are there any questions?

CaylynEsuzam
2012-03-19, 11:17 AM
No first Diviner, thank you for this task. We will handle it with finesse and urgency. If my companions see the logic and are in agreement, we shall travel to Taremon. Battelo looked over his shoulder to his fellow novitiates and awaited their response. He wore simple traveling clothes of gray and black, his short blond hair messy and out of the way of his studying brown eyes. Logically, if I look simple, defenseless and poor, only the weak will target me making it easier to defend, defeat or escape.

TheDivineWind
2012-03-19, 03:05 PM
Toph mentally goes over his equipment for the eighth time, making sure he has all of his spell components and focii. "Ready to go."

HearTheRequiem
2012-03-19, 04:08 PM
Yvalice nods lazily, having been prepared for being given the task for three days now.

"Ready. But I won't be the one carrying the armour back here."

ThatQuietGuy
2012-03-20, 03:41 AM
Nazgor harumphed. How do you prepare for the unknown? he asked himself, looking around at his "companions". He glanced down then at himself, in nondescript travelling clothes, carrying nothing but his staff with him. They had packs and pouches, as though they'd brought everything they could need for this mission that they didn't, until this moment, have information on.

It wasn't worth trying to decide whether they or he was the fool. Likely it was him, but pride wouldn't let him be sure of it. Finally, he shrugged. "As you wish."

He looked behind him. There stood his skeletal servant. He would not leave it behind, but it would be difficult to hide. Then again, walking around with the undead tends to make people give you a wide berth, so it might be useful in that regard, if nothing else.

Lemonus
2012-03-21, 04:23 PM
"I'm ready to go. I say we should head to Taremon first, it's as good a place as any to start."

graham82
2012-03-21, 05:38 PM
You may now take your leave to collect any belongings you feel you will need for the journey ahead of you. You have leave to use the research libraries, and to use the guild stores if you so require. When you are ready, instruct the wizards in the Teleportation Chamber of your destination and it will be made so. But be aware that once you depart, you will not be permitted to return until you have succeeded in your quest, so do not take this lightly. The best of luck to you all. and with a gesture of his hands everybody is dismissed.

Conor77
2012-03-21, 06:29 PM
Too excited to speak to the others yet, Caroline smiles, bows a slight bow, and goes to her room, saying nothing. After packing her belongings into her interdimensional travel backpack, she chooses a dark grey travelling tunic with emerald green trim to wear. She goes down to the library, flips open a few books on Taremon and the Mage Bearer, but quickly loses interest. She decides to walk down to the teleportation chamber, and wait for the others.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-03-21, 09:33 PM
Battelo looked up as Caroline entered the teleportation chambers. Hey, Caroline. Excited? I'm nervous. I haven't left the Guild since I've been here and I can barely remember the world out there. Full of chaos, illogical people, and danger. Battelo frowned in disgust.

Conor77
2012-03-21, 10:05 PM
"Yeah, I'm really, really excited. But I've never been out in the world without supervision either, and this could be dangerous, so I'm nervous too", Caroline says, twisting a strand of hair around her finger, as if to illustrate her anxiousness. Then, pulling a short, dark brown wooden stick from her pocket, "But I got this from one of the kids in the Evocation department, and I think she did a good job with it. It and my summoned creatures together should probably keep us safe. Probably. She takes a deep breath, and then sits down and starts to pet her cat, who wandered in behind her.

TheDivineWind
2012-03-22, 12:36 AM
Toph makes sure he has packed all of his focii and enough material components to last for dozens of castings. As he reaches the teleportation chamber, he nods to everyone else, then clears his throat.

He grumbles out a gravelly sounding string of noises, and a four foot earthen elemental slowly pulls itself up through the floor, standing next to him. Waiting for the rest of the group, he converses with the elemental (in Terran for those who could guess, not that it would be a difficult guess).

Once everyone arrives, he sizes up the rest of the group and grins.

"Ready?", a wolfish smile plastered on his face.

HearTheRequiem
2012-03-22, 06:06 AM
At Caroline's words, Yvalice slinks out from behind a pillar, almost seeming to appear from nowhere.

"The Evocation department, Little Miss Conjurer? I can't say I've ever been there myself. What's it do?"
Yvalice smiles good-naturedly at Caroline, genuinely interested in the implement she's holding.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-03-22, 12:47 PM
No worries about anything that gets too friendly with us. That's what I'm here for. Battelo smiled. Though it does ease my nerves knowing we have so many who can conjure and evoke with us.

ThatQuietGuy
2012-03-22, 02:20 PM
Mumbling to himself about the money he'd spent on new "equipment" just in case, Nazgor entered the teleportation chamber, his skeleton walking dutifully behind him. He took comfort in the presence of the undead, though he didn't know how his companions were going to like traveling with it. He didn't much care.

"Let us be about this," he said, glancing about the room. "Who else are we waiting on?"

Conor77
2012-03-22, 05:03 PM
Caroline holds up the wand, saying "It's supposed to fire a small bolt of force, similar to a Magic Missile spell. The...uh... student who gave it to me told me it can wound or even kill a man with one shot. I hope things won't come to that, but they very well might". Looking around at Nazgor and his shambling companion, she says "I think everyone is ready. If everyone has already double-checked their gear, then we can go".

HearTheRequiem
2012-03-22, 05:39 PM
Yvalice smiles.
"Ah, I see. Maybe a little crude, but undoubtedly effective. Shall we go?"

graham82
2012-03-23, 07:41 AM
The teleportation chamber is a circular stone room, about 10 metres across with a solid iron door to get in from the outside, but no other way in or out. It is allegedly the only place on the island that is not protected from incoming teleportation spells, and as such it is heavily guarded. Spaced at regular intervals around the rooms perimeter are 8 solemn looking wizards, with another two stood outside the iron door. In the middle of the room are four sunken circular pits, about a half meter drop down and 2 metres across each. In the middle between these four pits there is a desk and chair, with yet another wizard sat behind the desk - from the point of view of the door at least.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-03-24, 07:56 PM
Battelo took the lead and walked up to the desk. Hello sir. We would like to be transported to Taremon for our quest please.

graham82
2012-03-25, 06:05 AM
Looking up as you approach him, Quest? Taremon? Oh, yes of course. You must be this years novitiates. Has it really come around so soon? Why it seems only - well I guess it must have been a year ago now, mustn't it... Well, doesn't time fly. Anyway, I'm rambling. Mustn't ramble. Must get on with the job at hand instead. Taremon you say? Yes, I'm sure I can manage that.

Still talking - mostly to himself at this point - he pulls open a small drawer in the desk, rummages around inside for a few minutes and pulls out a thick book and a large bag - neither of which you would have expected would fit in the drawer in the first place. Getting up, he moves to one of the pits and starts scattering yellowish dust from the sack over the base of the pit, before opening the book and flipping through it a few times, still muttering to himself, before stopping at a particular page and studying it for another minute or so. With that he puts the book and bag back in the drawer, and starts saying some words of power over the pit.

There we go, all done. Taremon as requested. The circle will be viable for about 2 hours, so no huge rush if you're not all here yet...

Caroline

Some of the words that he said over the pit sound familiar to you, but not enough to make anything useful from

Lemonus
2012-03-25, 09:35 PM
Embran runs into the room, panting. Sorry... I'm... Late. His hair is smoking, as if it had been set on fire, but it doesn't look burned.

Conor77
2012-03-25, 09:44 PM
"No worries. I'm going through, but anyone else can follow in 2 hours if they feel like it.

HearTheRequiem
2012-03-26, 03:55 PM
"Right behind you."

TheDivineWind
2012-03-26, 08:38 PM
Toph watches, and then enters the portal behind the first two.

graham82
2012-03-27, 06:28 AM
Taremon
As soon as you step down into the pit, the scenery around you changes. One instant you are in a stone room stepping down into a pit, and as your foot touches the floor it is actually a grass covered hill you are stepping onto.

On a flatter area down the hill you can see what is clearly a well traveled road, and indeed you see a couple of caravans heading down the road from the right hand side as you look at it.

Looking to the left, you can't help but see the walls of what you assume must be the city of Taremon. From your vantage point up the hill you can see the tops of the walls over other hills in the way, and the tops of tall towers and buildings in the city itself. The buildings and walls are all made from stone and brick, though from this distance you cant' make out any details on them.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-03-27, 01:11 PM
Well that's a bit jaring. Battelo looks around before heading off towards the city. Might as well learn the layout of the town and find a place to stay before we starting sticking our noses into other people's business.

ThatQuietGuy
2012-03-28, 10:56 AM
The others all seemed almost excited to be on this "adventure". Nazgor couldn't help but wonder if they'd forgotten it was a life-threatening test. Still, none of them would get anywhere standing here waiting.

Despite the strange chill that crept over him as his forced-upon companions began to literally disappear into this portal, he had no choice but to follow. He motioned for his minion to keep close, hoped it would make it through, and stepped down into the pit.

The crunch and give of grass beneath him startled him and he stumbled a few steps before regaining his composure. The caravans must be awfully confused, he suspected, as well as anyone on the city walls that happened to be watching. Out of sorts, he took comfort from the skeleton standing beside him and waited for the others.

TheDivineWind
2012-03-28, 11:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong GM! I don't think I overlooked anything suggesting the undead are kosher in your world, but just in case~

Toph looks over to the skeleton, then to the city in the distance, and finally to Nazgor.

"You know, folk on the outside don't handle the living dead very well. They tend to view it as..." his mouth and face work to form the word in his mind, "... inherently wrong. They tend to react badly, violently so, sometimes. I would suggest disguising it with an illusion, at the minimum, least you strive to be recorded as the shortest lived participant of the Graduation Quest of all time."

He smiles and starts out ahead of the group, heading towards the town.

HearTheRequiem
2012-03-29, 04:10 AM
Yvalice tumbles down into the pit, rolling forward on the grass before getting to his feet and trying to act professional.

"An illusion...I wonder if I can do something that would work. Illusions are kind of what I do, you see..."

TheDivineWind
2012-03-30, 12:39 PM
Toph grins and turns, heading towards the town.

ThatQuietGuy
2012-03-30, 02:23 PM
"The concerns of the weak-minded are not concerns of mine," Nazgor states with a slight frown. "I can only let my intentions speak for themselves. Let those who look down upon me mutter and curse."

He stands on the hilltop still, watching those who've already moved toward town, watching the caravan, watching the spot where the rest of the group should emerge. Until they've all come through, it seems silly to head off. Much better to stick together, he feels. There is safety in numbers.

HearTheRequiem
2012-03-30, 02:48 PM
"If that's how you want it." Yvalice says with a slight shrug, before sauntering off to follow Toph into town.

Conor77
2012-04-01, 04:43 AM
Caroline nods to Nazgor and moves on with the others, humming a small ditty as she does.

Lemonus
2012-04-01, 07:59 AM
Embran comes out of the portal, his hair still smoking. "Well, let's go! I want to set something on fire, and I can't do that in a town!"

graham82
2012-04-02, 06:37 AM
Once everyone is through the circle, and has gotten their bearings, you all head off together towards the city that you can see. After an hours trekking, you can finally make out the city walls properly and can see the huge gates - stretching fully 5 metres across and at least twice that high - that are the only way through. The walls that you can see stretch from the gates away in both directions before they reach towers at the coast. From your vantage point up in the hills still you can see just over the top of the walls, and inside you can see a long bridge that spans the water leading into the city proper.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-04-04, 12:40 PM
Okay, remember that this world isn't as use to all the wonders of magic as we are. Just knowing we are from the Tower will hopefully get us what we need from anybody but still tread carefully. And someone disguise the skeleton. I know my mother would've screamed if she saw one. Battelo smiled at the memory before heading towards the gates.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-04, 12:45 PM
Yvalice nods, already mentally racing through everything he knows that could help. Maybe there'll be a market of some sort...

TheDivineWind
2012-04-09, 07:36 AM
"Whelp, time to say hi." Toph heads for the front gates, trying to get within earshot of the guard that presumably watch over who enters.

graham82
2012-04-11, 06:13 AM
As you approach the main gates to the city, you see that there is a well maintained road leading up to the walls. The gates are stood open to allow people to pass in and out, and in front of the gates - on the outside of the walls - are two guard posts, one either side of the road. The guards are essentially just doing cursory checks of people and waving them through into the city.

Conor77
2012-04-11, 10:28 AM
Caroline walks over to the guards (assuming no other difficulties), and attempts to engage them in conversation. She is attempting to gain information about the artifact that they seek.

If used:
Diplomacy[roll0]
Gather Information[roll1]

TheDivineWind
2012-04-11, 10:37 AM
Toph raises an eyebrow at Caroline's inquiries and nods at the guards, answers any questions they may have honestly, and (assuming they don't have issues with mages) enters the city.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-11, 10:56 AM
Yvalice stands around as Caroline talks, then enters the city with Toph.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-04-13, 03:49 PM
Cities...I missed them....but not the smell. It doesn't smell like wonder and magic like home. Battelo walked through with his companions, a smile on his face as he observed the city in wonder and amusement.