PDA

View Full Version : Game recommendations for PS3.

Mordokai
2012-03-19, 01:05 PM
So far, I've finished God of War 3, Bayonetta, Prototype, the whole Uncharted series, Ratchet&Clank: Tools of Destruction, Heavy Rain and Batman: Arkham Asylum. I enjoyed all of them greatly. Now, I'm looking for new games to buy.

The titles don't need to be new. In fact, I prefer older titles, since I can get them dirt cheap by now. I'm not looking for FPS, since frankly, they bore me. I could do without driving games, since I'm not much for them as well. And above all, no sport simulations, aka, FIFA, PES, NBA and alike. I don't care about multiplayer, since my console isn't connected to the web anyway. I'm looking for a games with strong singleplayer side, which offer a lot of replayability. They can be serious of more fun, as long as they deliver on that promise.

Right now, I'm looking into Fallout 3. Any more suggestions to look after?

Balain
2012-03-19, 01:31 PM
I would say little big planet 1 & 2. They would be more replay able with an Internet connection though.

I picked up brutal Legand for about $10 it is pretty fun I thought.

I didn't think I would like them or would be fun, but I loved them, Guitar Hero games. Maybe hard to find copies with the guitars now though depending where you live.

I also loved all the Lego game gaes (Star Wars, Indiana jones Batman, Disney Pirates)

Sly cooper remake for ps3 to get ready for when new sly cooper comes out.

Assasian cred games are good too. Just finished the first one. I'll be starting the next one soon.

Knight13
2012-03-19, 02:13 PM
InFamous 1 and 2. If you liked Prototype you'll probably like these, since they're the same type of game: sandbox superhero. IMO, the InFamous games have a more enjoyable story than Prototype, but they aren't quite as good for general screwing around, since you can't just fly around kicking ass and starting epic battles with the military and Hunters like in Prototype.

A Rainy Knight
2012-03-19, 03:18 PM
I really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles - heck, getting it was one of the main reasons I even got the console.

IrnBruAddict
2012-03-19, 05:10 PM
Good old games ....

If you like Ratchet and Clank then try Mini Ninjas. Fun little platform game with 6 characters and never takes itself seriously. Lots of fun.

I'll 2nd the vote for Infamous. The game is good, just plain old good. No real faults to it and anyone who I've seen it liked it regardless of what type of games they generally like.

Valkyria Chronicles is also really good if you like anime. If that tuns you off then avoid it, if not then its one of the best games out there if you can find a copy.

Resident Evil 5 is good and the Gold edition is available for £15 (like $20-$25).

Red Dead Redemption is a good adition to any game collection.

If you want something deep with great single player and lots of replay value try Dark Souls. But beware, it is HARD! Seriously! But hard in a fair way and one of the most addictive and satisfying games out there. If you like Bayonetta on the harder modes then try this.

I'd avoid Fallout 3, I never liked it much. New Vegas is far far far better. It should be available cheap now. Just skip 3 and get New Vegas, the stories aren't related.

Illieas
2012-03-19, 05:19 PM
thirded on the Valkyria chronicles. It is very good tactical RPG if you like JRPGs

Enslaved is a pretty good action adventure game. It is short but a fun little romp.

Mirror's edge first person parkour. it is great when you get a a stride going. just don't treat it like a shooter.

Ninja gaiden (1or2) sigma. like God of war but harder.

Mordokai
2012-03-19, 05:19 PM
I finished Bayonetta only on Normal and even that only with Ezio as final trophy. Yes, I am ashamed, but I also believe I can do better. In the future.

Some great advices so far. Keep 'em coming!

Cristo Meyers
2012-03-19, 05:35 PM
Right now, I'm looking into Fallout 3. Any more suggestions to look after?

Like mentioned earlier, New Vegas is the better game (and this is coming from someone that liked 3), the problem is that New Vegas is pretty buggy. I never had much in the way of difficulty myself, but some of the stories I have heard would give me pause.

There's both the Dragon Age games, though they're a bit cut down for the consoles. Red Dead Redemption has already been mentioned, and I agree. It was one of my initial purchases when I got my PS3.

Le Bel Inconnu
2012-03-19, 06:01 PM
I'll definitely second Dark Souls, incredibly addicting game so long as you're not prone to breaking things in frustration. Because seriously, :smallfurious: all the way through the game.

But it's a lot of fun, and I got it for around $20 over a year ago.

Zevox
2012-03-19, 06:03 PM
If you don't like first-person shooters, Fallout 3 and New Vegas probably are not a good idea, since their combat is entirely based on FPS gameplay.

I don't have a PS3 myself, so I can't really give recommendations for exclusives, but looking over my 360 collection for multi-platform games...

Mass Effect 2 and 3, and Dragon Age 1 and 2 are all very good RPGs, though with Mass Effect you won't be able to play the first one since that was PC/360 only, which will definitely make that harder to get into.

There's Batman: Arkham City, the sequel to Arkham Asylum, which does a great job of improving on its predecessor's combat, and has some of the best boss fights you'll find in a recent game.

Brutal Legend is a unique action/RTS game inspired by heavy metal music. Very over-the-top, but very enjoyable, even to someone who isn't any sort of music fan (like myself).

If you liked Bayonetta and God of War, there's Devil May Cry 4 and the recently-released Devil May Cry HD collection (which includes 1-3, which were originally PS2 games). Devil May Cry pretty much invented the gameplay style seen in Bayonetta, God of War, and a few other action titles, and in my personal opinion Devil May Cry 3 perfected it. Just stay away from 2 if you get the collection - it's okay as far as it goes, but lacking in a lot of what makes the others in the series good, as well as being completely incoherent as far as its story goes.

Another game in that over-the-top-action style is El Shaddai: Ascencion of the Metatron, but it's simpler gameplay-wise than Devil May Cry and suffers from a poorly told story.

Someone mentioned it already, but Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is a fairly good adventure game. A bit disappointing in how it ends, and more limited gameplay-wise than action titles like Arkham City or Devil May Cry, but fun, and by now it should be rather cheap (I got it for $25 a year and a half ago, though that was a holiday sale at the time).

For something unusual, there's Catherine. It's a horror/puzzle game with a story focused on themes of cheating and commitment, with the story centering around a guy who is being pressured into marriage by his girlfriend, and ends up cheating on her with a girl he meets at the bar one night. Things get weird from there. While I can't say that the story doesn't have its problems, it is very unique and enjoyable, and the gameplay is surprisingly fun even for someone who normally doesn't care for puzzle games.

If you like fighting games, I can give a couple of recommendations on those as well, but I didn't want to given they're usually seen as a multiplayer-oriented genre, and you mentioned not caring about multiplayer.

Zevox

Ogremindes
2012-03-19, 06:12 PM
Like mentioned earlier, New Vegas is the better game (and this is coming from someone that liked 3)...
I wouldn't say NV in necessarily the better game. Better RPG? Yes. Better shooter? Sure. Better free-roaming open-world exploration? Not so much. Though one of the DLCs does scratch that particular itch.

late for dinner
2012-03-19, 06:23 PM
Why has no one said Bioshock yet? You have pretty much played all the amazing games on the PS3. But get Bioshock. It will blow your mind.

Then, you could always pick up the ICO/Shadow of the Collossus pack. Both are really great.

I 3rd the Dark Souls...oh and Mass Effect 2 and 3 are fantastic even if you havent played the first one.

Flower is downloadable, but really fun

Oh wait...Bioshock is FPS...but it is not your average FPS. There is no multiplayer and it takes you to a world, really never touched by any game...and it kinda feels more like an RPG...It is definately an FPS for the person bored of FPS

deuxhero
2012-03-19, 06:43 PM
^ Because it's a bad System Shock 2 clone?

Get Valkyria Chronicles, Dark Souls and Way of the Samurai 3 (and 4 when it comes out to the west)

God Hand is a PS2 Classic on PSN if you haven't played the original.

Hunter Noventa
2012-03-19, 09:57 PM
I'll forward Disgaea 3 and 4, 3 should be fairly cheap, not bargain bin but not as much as it was new. Great and quirky SRPGs with huge numbers and comedic...things. Very Japanese though.

I'll support Valkyria Chronicle s and the various Lego games.

I can also put forth Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. Pick a giant robot and cut down countless other giant robots. Don't even really have to be a fan of Gundam, just a fan of giant robots. You can laugh at people with silly names like Full Frontal and Mister Bushido as you cut them up with laser swords.

There are also some good classic PS1 games available cheap via the PSN if you can hook it up long enough to get them. Final Fantasy tactics, Suikoden, Xenogears and more, all for $5-$10.

Starscream
2012-03-19, 10:26 PM
If you liked Arkham Asylum, you MUST get Arkham City. Both are utterly awesome.

I second Red Dead Redemption, the Lego Games (for simple fun), both Infamous titles, and the Assassin's Creed games.

I personally am a huge fan of the Disgaea series, which are comical turn based strategy games. Not everyone's cup of tea, but this is a very D&D oriented community, so I figure a lot of people here enjoy optimization. And boy to these games encourage optimization; level cap is 9999. You need about 100 to beat the story mode, but there is so much post game content that even at maxed levels you can be challenged. Love the humor and characters as well.

Terraoblivion
2012-03-19, 10:59 PM
Given how Valkyria Chronicles is my favorite game, I can definitely support that. The seemingly bizarre fusion of gameplay that shouldn't work actually works extremely well and unlike what you'd expect the actually fairly brutal warfare doesn't clash with the stylized graphics.

I'll also support Catherine, though I do think Zevox is misrepresenting the events leading up to Vincent cheating. Unless mentioning marriage once in a casual conversation counts as pressure now. I also know that it's billed as horror, but it isn't really scary on any level and really seems to be more of a character study than anything else.

I can't really say I agree with him on Fallout 3 and New Vegas being pure FPS. Apart from the ability to use V.A.T.S., there is also the fact that there is a whole lot of stuff other than just shooting people going on. There's exploration, the plot, inventory management and so on. So unless his dislike of FPS games is an outright dislike of shooting things from a first person perspective, rather than a holistic judgement of the genre as a whole, he should be fine. I generally don't like FPSes, but I quite liked New Vegas and was perfectly alright with Fallout 3, for example.

Zevox
2012-03-19, 11:08 PM
I'll also support Catherine, though I do think Zevox is misrepresenting the events leading up to Vincent cheating. Unless mentioning marriage once in a casual conversation counts as pressure now. I also know that it's billed as horror, but it isn't really scary on any level and really seems to be more of a character study than anything else.
Eh, I was trying to be general enough to get the concept across without needing to go too in-depth. Vincent's fear of commitment, particularly as embodied by marriage, is a major motivation for him from the start, so for him that one mention of it did suddenly start putting pressure on him, made worse by the events of the following couple of days.

I can't really say I agree with him on Fallout 3 and New Vegas being pure FPS. Apart from the ability to use V.A.T.S., there is also the fact that there is a whole lot of stuff other than just shooting people going on. There's exploration, the plot, inventory management and so on.
That's why I specified their combat. Which is kind of a big, very much so unavoidable part of them.

Zevox

Terraoblivion
2012-03-19, 11:28 PM
The combat still has V.A.T.S. as well as melee options, the former of which I used far more than plain shooting since I'm horrible at aiming. It is also influenced by stats in a number of ways that a typical FPS wouldn't be. There is also the fact that a very large amount of all enemies are melee rather than ranged.

Also, while combat is a big part of it you cannot infer from disliking the genre of FPS that a person would dislike these games, it depends entirely on why they don't like FPS games. If it is not from a specific dislike of shooting in the first person, which it only rarely is in my experience, then it really has no bearing on this.

Zevox
2012-03-19, 11:40 PM
The combat still has V.A.T.S. as well as melee options, the former of which I used far more than plain shooting since I'm horrible at aiming. It is also influenced by stats in a number of ways that a typical FPS wouldn't be. There is also the fact that a very large amount of all enemies are melee rather than ranged.

Also, while combat is a big part of it you cannot infer from disliking the genre of FPS that a person would dislike these games, it depends entirely on why they don't like FPS games. If it is not from a specific dislike of shooting in the first person, which it only rarely is in my experience, then it really has no bearing on this.
The melee combat still uses FPS mechanics - hits a general area in front of you that has nothing to do with the attack animation. I tried playing a melee character in Fallout 3, and was not impressed.

And I'm honestly not sure what a dislike of first-person shooters would mean if not a dislike for shooting in the first person, or at least the gameplay mechanics associated with the first-person perspective.

Zevox

Saintheart
2012-03-20, 06:40 AM
Mass Effect 2 and 3, and Dragon Age 1 and 2 are all very good RPGs, though with Mass Effect you won't be able to play the first one since that was PC/360 only, which will definitely make that harder to get into.

Well, with ME3 there's also the issue that the last ten minutes *gets overwhelmed by Internet Backdraft*

Mordokai
2012-03-20, 06:47 AM
And I'm honestly not sure what a dislike of first-person shooters would mean if not a dislike for shooting in the first person, or at least the gameplay mechanics associated with the first-person perspective.

It has more to do with the fact that FPS's don't really work on PS3, in my experience. While I consider Thundershock joystick superior to the combination of keyboard and mouse, I also have to admit it doesn't work as well for first person shooters. It's just not as responsive. And while I loved playing FPS as teenager, it just doesn't hold the same appeal for me anymore.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who contributed. With this, I should get something good for me. If anybody has anything more to say on the subject, feel free to do so. But this should really tie me over for a while.

Knight13
2012-03-20, 08:09 AM
I know what you mean, I absolutely refuse to play any FPSs (or TPSs for that matter) on console. I need a mouse, trying to aim with a controller is just asking for pain and frustration.

It's ironic that between the Dueling Games InFamous and Prototype, Prototype is the one that got the PC port. Alex's attacks are mostly melee, auto-aim anyway and even allow you to lock on to a specific target. Cole, on the other hand, has mostly projectile attacks and doesn't have auto-aim or lock ons. Between the two, InFamous is definitely the one that would have benefited more from a PC control layout.

Terraoblivion
2012-03-20, 09:49 AM
The melee combat still uses FPS mechanics - hits a general area in front of you that has nothing to do with the attack animation. I tried playing a melee character in Fallout 3, and was not impressed.

Zevox

It could be a dislike of the storytelling style typical of the genre or a dislike of the fact that you do nothing but shooting in FPSes, just to give two examples. Basically every genre is more than just the surface elements of what you do, not many JRPG fans play games in the genre because they really like looking at menus. Similarly FPSes are more than just the shooting, above all they're about feeling your skills at shooting challenged, with most aspects of game design serving that purpose. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are about exploration and storytelling, you just happen to be shooting during them. There is a difference in goals and emphasis.

Cieyrin
2012-03-20, 10:21 AM
I also support Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea (though I've only had the chance to play 1 & 2, as well as the somewhat related La Pucelle Tactics), they really are just that good and definitely worthwhile.

In a similar vein is Resonance of Fate, which is more RPG than Valkyria Chronicles with a post apocalyptic story to it. It's a Tri-Ace game, so it's very much into its subsystems.

Seeing as you liked God of War, Heavenly Sword is definitely fun, though unfortunately rather short. I'd love for there to be a sequel, as there's more to that world to explore.

Cristo Meyers
2012-03-20, 07:10 PM
Personally, paladin, for what it's worth I don't think Catherine is up your alley. If you could get your hands on the demo I'd definitely recommend trying that first, but since you're offline...

deuxhero
2012-03-20, 09:32 PM
Fallout 3 isn't very good I must warn you.

Grab the first two games on GoG/Amazon instead!

Mordokai
2012-03-21, 02:04 AM
Personally, paladin, for what it's worth I don't think Catherine is up your alley. If you could get your hands on the demo I'd definitely recommend trying that first, but since you're offline...

How cute of you, you still refer to me with my old profession :smalltongue: No, right now, we're pretty much down the same alley. Or maybe with some multiclassing in there...

Anyway, I might actually get wired. From what I'm told, it would actually do me a world of good.

Grue Bait
2012-03-21, 02:16 AM
InFamous 1 and 2. If you liked Prototype you'll probably like these, since they're the same type of game: sandbox superhero. IMO, the InFamous games have a more enjoyable story than Prototype, but they aren't quite as good for general screwing around, since you can't just fly around kicking ass and starting epic battles with the military and Hunters like in Prototype.

This. Plus at least one replay, because you could play either good or evil, with the karma stuff.

Mordokai
2012-03-21, 02:21 AM
Fallout 3 isn't very good I must warn you.

Grab the first two games on GoG/Amazon instead!

I played those on PC and yes, they were enjoyable, no doubt about that. However, how would they work on PS? I can't imagine them working very well with the controller. Or did you mean for PC?

Grif
2012-03-21, 04:42 AM
How about the final installation of R&CF trilogy, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time?

It almost manages to improve on ToD on so many ways, though I was a little leery on how much of the game you spend as

Ratchet or Clank alone instead of Ratchet AND Clank. Thankfully they get reunited towards the end for some good old platforming fun.

Also the time puzzles are very interesting.

Quest for Booty is downloadable off PSN, but its not strictly necessary.

Cristo Meyers
2012-03-21, 05:28 PM
How cute of you, you still refer to me with my old profession :smalltongue: No, right now, we're pretty much down the same alley. Or maybe with some multiclassing in there...

You'll always be paladin to me :smalltongue::smallwink:

Anyway, I might actually get wired. From what I'm told, it would actually do me a world of good.

Access to patches, system updates, the Playstation Store and its demos. If it's not cost-prohibitive I'd definitely look into it.

As for Fallout 3/New Vegas, I remembered that consoles don't have access to game mods, which form a large part of how much I (at least) enjoyed both games. It's really easy to overlook flaws when you can just download a mod to fix them.

Sharoth
2012-03-22, 08:30 AM
I ***DO*** recomend Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. My suggestion is to play Fallout 3 first, then NV. Both are good games, but the improvements in New Vegas do make a difference. OTOH, the bugs in New Vegas will make you want to throw your controller across the room. ~grins~ I think I have clocked over 2000 hours on both. Probably more. My suggestion for both is save and save often. Especially New Vegas.

Kaun
2012-03-22, 05:09 PM
+1 to Red dead redemption and Assassins creed games.

I know you said you don't like racing games and i generally don't like them either but "Motor storm Apocalypse" might be the exception to the rule. Not realistic in any sense of the word but balls to the wall racing through a city that is falling down around you is tons of fun.