PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Type changes due to PrC

panaikhan
2012-03-19, 02:25 PM
Hi.
My favorite 3.5 character is getting pulled out of retirement, and I need to clarify a point or two before they become an issue.
Character is a Warforged, taking levels in Acolyte of the Skin.
At one level, it says "type changes to Outsider". Would the change from Construct to Outsider cause my Warforged to lose their "Living Construct" subtype?

Venger
2012-03-19, 03:34 PM
savage species's type pyramid says that if you become a construct, outsider, or undead through a template, your type can no longer be changed. however, you didn't become a warforged through a template, so you should still be allowed to become an outsider through the acolyte of the skin capstone.

this sounds like a real challenge to play. what's your build? are you using an accelerated progression to springboard into acolyte so you can lose the 5 levels without missing them too much? several of the acolyte's abilities have saves keyed off cha which you have a racial penalty to, which wouldn't disappear after your transformation IIRC. be sure to either avoid taking any warforged feats/components or seeing if your DM will allow you to replace them once you hit acolyte 10, because there's nothing worse than feats you can't use.

panaikhan
2012-03-19, 03:52 PM
My build is listed in my signature (the bare bones of it at least, and corrected)
Do I cease being "Warforged" if I take the capstone? It says the type changes, not the race, so I should be able to keep racial feats.

FearlessGnome
2012-03-19, 04:07 PM
Subtypes do not go away with your Type (For some reason). Do speak with the DM, though, to make sure your character doesn't suddenly have to start breathing and such.

junglesteve
2012-03-19, 04:13 PM
Pretty sure my group always just rolls with you are now considered both a Type A and Type B; stacking whatever bonuses and negatives that come a long with that.

Coidzor
2012-03-19, 04:14 PM
My build is listed in my signature (the bare bones of it at least, and corrected)
Do I cease being "Warforged" if I take the capstone? It says the type changes, not the race, so I should be able to keep racial feats.

You're still a warforged, and you still have your racial feats, yes.

You keep subtypes unless specifically stated.

panaikhan
2012-03-19, 04:16 PM
Breathing doesn't bother me that much, though I am not sure Outsiders breathe or eat either (native outsiders do, but that's not what the PrC ends as).
The backstory for this character could be paralleled quite well with pinnochio.
Started off as a Fighter. Took Juggernaut for a few levels, while mixing in Artificer for good measure.
Concentrated on self-improvement. Made items, including a weapon familiar in the shape of a tail. Took some grafts, which inspired the Acolyte research.
The idea of taking a living shell and fusing with it seemed a logical progression somehow (paint me wierd)

Hazzardevil
2012-03-19, 04:27 PM
You have now reached a weird part of the rules.

What you are supposed to do is remove everything to do with type, then add in things to do with outsider. Then add living construct on top.
Now this is difficult to work out, but that is by RAW what you are supposed to do.

panaikhan
2012-03-19, 04:50 PM
Hmm... losing "Construct"...
I gain a Constitution score (already had one).
I lose certain visions I never had.
I lose certain immunities I never had.
I am subject to criticals (already was).
etc. etc. etc.
Then I gain Outsider traits.
Then I apply 'living construct'?

This is looking more and more like a win/win to me...

[edit]
What happens to construct-like abilities gained from the Warforged Juggernaut PrC, sinse they (technically) are not gained from the Construct type, but from being Warforged?

Coidzor
2012-03-19, 05:01 PM
If they're just class abilities they should still function.

panaikhan
2012-03-19, 05:08 PM
If they're just class abilities they should still function.
They are class abilities that emulate construct traits, as the whole idea of the PrC is to become more construct-like, without losing the 'living construct' subtype.

Coidzor
2012-03-19, 06:29 PM
They are class abilities that emulate construct traits, as the whole idea of the PrC is to become more construct-like, without losing the 'living construct' subtype.

Then they should apply, barring DMing.