PDA

View Full Version : I friend want the best barbarian

ivikalavahuj
2012-03-19, 04:49 PM
A friend that is just sarting wants me to help him build his barbarian.
The barbarian would be a dwarve and I need you to help me help him, he wants to be the tank of the party. No other thing have he told me.

Harry
2012-03-19, 07:56 PM
He could go barbarian5/champion of gwynharwyf10/barbarian5 that gives full rage plus 4th level divine spells and immunity to charm and compelion effects and smite:smallsmile:

gallagher
2012-03-19, 08:01 PM
even better, get a runescarred berserker so you can get AMFs centered on yourself.

rmg22893
2012-03-19, 08:05 PM
He could go barbarian5/champion of gwynharwyf10/barbarian5 that gives full rage plus 4th level divine spells and immunity to charm and compelion effects and smite:smallsmile:

Champion of Grynguhfgkflguhlhif?

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-19, 08:05 PM
First, ask your friend exactly how he considers the concept of 'tank' as it applies to the game.

What exactly does he want to do? Tanking can mean a dozen different things in D&D...

Ask him to do something like rate the importance of these in order or something

...have lots of offense, and be a major threat to enemies that way?
...have lots of defense, and not get hit?
...be a berserker type without lots of defense?
...be a berserker type that is so fearsome he is a liability to the party, unless everyone involved takes a large series of precautions?
...have lots of durability, and be able to take lots of hits which connect?
...be able to debuff a single enemy, and make such an enemy less likely to be able to successfully attack others?
...be able to lockdown several enemies, and prevent them from making it to others by physically interacting with their ability to move?
...be able to debuff a bunch of enemies using tactics that cause them to be afraid somehow?
...encourage enemies to attack him via some sort of challenge feat?

Venusaur
2012-03-19, 08:08 PM
I really shouldn't say this, but frenzied berserker is a fun prestige class for barbarians. You can deal massive damage, but try not to kill your own party. Another good PrC is Bear Warrior, which lets you become a bear. Otherwise, get the spirit lion ACF from complete champion for pounce, and take shock trooper.

Harry
2012-03-19, 08:09 PM
Champion of Grynguhfgkflguhlhif?

It's a pristge class from the book of exalted deeds It gives full rage and 4th level spells plus some resistances it's pretty good:smallsmile:

Snowbluff
2012-03-19, 08:10 PM
The only Barbarian is Frenzied Berzerker. Not Dying, bonuses to power attack, another Rage called Frenzy that stacks, etc.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-19, 08:11 PM
1) Your grammar is terrible. Grammar Nazi, away!

2) ...You use the term "tank". Well, you can make a dwarf barbarian clad in full plate and carrying a longbow or heavy crossbow, but I don't think that's the tank you had in mind. MMO tanking does not work in D&D 3.X. Period. The closest you can get is by a crowd control build, which for non-casters would be a guy using a reach weapon with the Improved Trip, Stand Still (from UA/the online SRD), and Combat Reflexes feats.

Take Spirit Lion Totem variant from CChamp, Steadfast Determination feat from PHBII, wield a two-handed weapon, take Power Attack... that's pretty much it. Wolf Totem variant from UA/the online SRD (yes, it does work with SLT variant) for a control build. Good PrCs are Frostrager from Frostburn and Champion of Gwynharwyf from BoED. Frenzied Berserker is good if you get a high will save and a way to reroll saves.

rmg22893
2012-03-19, 08:11 PM
Is a pristge class from the book of exalted deeds It gives full rage and 4th level spells plus some resistances is pretty good:smallsmile:

I guess you didn't get the joke. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-19, 08:14 PM
Well, if your friend is just starting out, you probably don't want to make things too complicated.
There is fun to be had by just being the best smasher in the group.
I actually don't agree with Frenzied Berzerker, too much possibility of it just taking out the group along with the enemy.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-19, 08:17 PM
even better, get a runescarred berserker so you can get AMFs centered on yourself.

Does it affect your own equipment? If so, don't take Runescarred Berserker. Unless you can choose not to have the AMF.

gallagher
2012-03-19, 08:37 PM
Does it affect your own equipment? If so, don't take Runescarred Berserker. Unless you can choose not to have the AMF.

it is a build that takes down casters, and you have several other options with the spells you get for RSB. i am AFB, but i believe it gives you access to an option for flying, a little healing, freedom of movement, and a couple other nice options. you are still the toughest guy in the fight, and with the AMF nobody has their equipment

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-19, 08:56 PM
it is a build that takes down casters, and you have several other options with the spells you get for RSB. i am AFB, but i believe it gives you access to an option for flying, a little healing, freedom of movement, and a couple other nice options. you are still the toughest guy in the fight, and with the AMF nobody has their equipment

Sounds good, but it really doesn't take down casters if it's still at the ten foot radius. Seriously, wizards and sorcs would just move far away and use Summon Monsters (with Rapid Summoning) or Orbs. Or Wall of Stone. Or Wall of Iron. And clerics would buff themselves up and fire arrows. And druids can turn into Dire Hawks/Eagles and drop stones/logs/swords on you. But that'll take a while for anything but the wizard/sorc.

Lateral
2012-03-19, 10:43 PM
1) Your grammar is terrible. Grammar Nazi, away!

Nah. Even speaking as the goddamn Grammar Hitler, those more look like that English isn't his native language rather than mistakes due to laziness.

Dumbledore lives
2012-03-19, 10:47 PM
Bear Warrior, transform into a bear. It's in complete warrior.

Otherwise one of my favorite barbarian builds is an unarmed fighter, ferocious in nature. The one I use is Barbarian 2/Fighter 2/Fist of the Forest 2 (Complete Champion)/Frostrager 2 (Frostburn), that's an 8th level build, add some snap kick and appropriate ACFs and you have a better monk. For more levels finish of FotF and Frostrager, and then add other PrCs like Runescarred or Bear Warrior to taste.