PDA

View Full Version : Deathward for the Undead

shimmercat
2012-03-19, 05:11 PM
Anyone got any good suggestions for negative energy immunity/resistance for an undead character? I've got a positive energy undead (healed by positive energy, harmed by negative energy) fighter who maaaaaay piss off the rest of the party (who are all negative energy undead) enough that they turn on him. In which case I'd really like to not be Harmed to death in a round or two by the cleric. :P

Deathward has the target of "Living creature touched" which makes it not work for me... as I'm not living. XD

We are all ECL 17. D&D 3.5

And this is the good sort of inter-party conflict, where fun is had all around with RPing and such. (This is this character (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209960), if anyone is curious. Picture! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/shimmercat/OlavoCharacter.jpg))

Edit: I haven't posted here in awhile and whoa, the terminology has changed! I'm guessing you'd call this game low-op. :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2012-03-19, 05:15 PM
Anyone got any good suggestions for negative energy immunity/resistance for an undead character? I've got a positive energy undead (healed by positive energy, harmed by negative energy) fighter who maaaaaay piss off the rest of the party (who are all negative energy undead) enough that they turn on him. In which case I'd really like to not be Harmed to death in a round or two by the cleric. :P

Deathward has the target of "Living creature touched" which makes it not work for me... as I'm not living. XD

And this is the good sort of inter-party conflict, where fun is had all around with RPing and such. (This is this character (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209960), if anyone is curious. Picture! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/shimmercat/OlavoCharacter.jpg))

Correct if I am wrong, but those effects shouldn't work on Undead anyway >.>

Oh, you aren't talking about negative levels. You know, a good will save cuts Harm damage pretty well. You can probably have an item of permanent Deathward made, as well.

Jack_Simth
2012-03-19, 05:16 PM

OK, so Lifeward won't work... however, there's an armor property in the Book of Exalted Deeds you might like; Soulfire, it's called, on page 112.

shimmercat
2012-03-19, 05:17 PM
Harm/Heal and Cure/Inflict definitely work on undead. (And if they don't by RAW, then we've played 20+ games pretending that they do!)

It's just the positive energy versus negative energy thing. Most undead are negative energy beings, and therefore are harmed by positive energy and cured by negative energy. My character is a positive energy being (using a DM-homebrewed race based on the Ghostwalk ghosts) and so he's harmed by negative energy and healed by positive, just like a living creature would be.

Edit: Oops, by the time I finished typing up the reply, the poster had already realized their mistake. :P

I'll check out the Soulfire armor, thanks! Although I'm not sure I can fit much more on my armor... It has to be Ghosttouch, which is a +3 ability.

And no, Lifeward doesn't work, although I do suppose that the way I phrased my title makes it sound like that's what I'm looking for. xD All the other party members have cloaks of Lifeward. Not necessary for me!

Jack_Simth
2012-03-19, 05:27 PM
I'll check out the Soulfire armor, thanks! Although I'm not sure I can fit much more on my armor... It has to be Ghosttouch, which is a +3 ability.There's ways around that... but you're not a caster. Hmm.

Anyway, if you look up the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide, there's a sidebar on putting armor properties onto Bracers of Armor that you might enjoy.

Snowbluff
2012-03-19, 05:54 PM
You're screwed anyway. Harming you is the nicest thing a Cleric can do to a Fighter. You might want to rack up ALL of the immunities before he Chain Gates in some Solars or he finds a Scroll of Disjunction to punish you for your impudence.:smalleek:

I am thinking you should apologize.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-19, 08:32 PM
Take Leadership urgently. Retrain a feat if you must. Obtain a good-aligned cleric cohort. Optimise the ever loving crap out of her. Hide behind her.

From Spell Compendium, Protection from Positive/Negative Energy are both Cleric 2 spells that have Target: Creature Touched. They are not terribly good (they merely subtract 10 points from any positive/negative energy damage spell, respectively), but they're probably your best option.

Another possibility is to be subject to the spell Spark of Life from that same book and then Deathward or Life's Grace (also from Spell Compendium). If you followed my advice above, your cleric cohort should be more than capable of casting any of these.

shimmercat
2012-03-19, 08:46 PM
@ Snowbluff: We're a pretty unoptimized party and the cleric is a ghoul (so he's got a heavy level adjustment) so I'm not worried about Solars, etc. I could apologize, but I'm not sure how favorably he'll look at me passing info to the turn-cheese NPC clerics about where all the vampires and ghouls in the city live...

The game is ending soon, I figured might as well go out with a bang. XD

@ Shadowknight: I don't know about picking up a cohort just for this (RP-heavy game, and there are some pretty weird complications...) but I'll definitely look into those spells, thanks!

The wizard of the group just might side with me, if it comes to blows. Then it would be the LE cleric and spellthief versus the NN/NG wizard and the LG fighter. May be interesting. XD

Snowbluff
2012-03-19, 09:47 PM
@ Snowbluff: We're a pretty unoptimized party and the cleric is a ghoul (so he's got a heavy level adjustment) so I'm not worried about Solars, etc. I could apologize, but I'm not sure how favorably he'll look at me passing info to the turn-cheese NPC clerics about where all the vampires and ghouls in the city live...

The game is ending soon, I figured might as well go out with a bang. XD

If that's the case, you're alot better off that you should be XD You don't have to worry about him Imploding or Rebuking (or would that Turn/Destroy you if you're opposing energy?) you.

You should find a way of making sure you don't get caught. Not getting caught is a tenant I abide by in game and IRL. Too bad your skills are probably lousy, and Sense Motive is a Cleric skill.

Also, i admire your views on how campaigns should end! ^^

shimmercat
2012-03-20, 01:01 AM
Well, I don't believe ALL games should end with the party eating itself, but it makes a certain amount of sense for this one. In addition to the cleric and spellthief being evil and the wizard and the fighter not, the cleric and the spellthief are also Noble Dead. The wizard and the fighter are... little more than slaves, class-wise. There is a pretty deep rift there.

I've got an item to up my Bluff, some ranks in it, and a fine Cha but there is only so much a fighter can do to keep from getting caught. XD My better bet is an alliance with the spellthief. She could probably profit off of the vampires and ghouls getting wiped out, and where there is profit she is THERE.

I have no clue what happens if the cleric attempts to Rebuke me, and I'd prefer to not find out!

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-20, 01:10 AM
So are you using, uh, whachamacallem... Deathless?

shimmercat
2012-03-20, 01:16 AM
Not quite Deathless, but similar. The character is a slightly modified version of the Ghostwalk-style ghosts, dubbed Spirits in this game. Basically, "let's make a LA +1 incorporeal." With positive energy.

The DM's got a very interesting world set up, and there is a big mystery about where the positive energy undead (the Spirits and the corporeal version which are tweaked Deathless) actually come from, as they arise spontaneously when someone dies. Most undead arise from necromantic powers or a disease or something. I'm hoping we get the mystery by the end of the game!