PDA

View Full Version : Climb speed & Spider Climb questions.

Red_Dog
2012-03-19, 05:31 PM
Hello all. quick question which is driving me insane=>

=>An insecticide creature template grants climb speed equal to landspeed.

However after reading MM and rules compendium it seems, such creature can not move on a ceiling or walls as you would EXPECT such creature to make. Because it is "impossible to climb smooth surface". It can't even move double its movement and has to keep passing climb checks.

=>a Monstrous Spider has climb speed and well is a SPIDER. However since its JUST climb speed he can't crawl on the walls even while being in its own web...
All same said above goes to here too.

=>Spider climb spell gives a creature a fairly slow climb speed BUT lets you actually climb like a spider... with no climb checks and at double your speed.

Question... is What THE %$^$&$#$#@#@@*more obscenities*?!?!? Wizards once again completely overrule ALL the rules?

So amm am I insane or is it how the rules go? If that is in fact the case I am informing my players about a house rule I am about to make...

/end ranting question...

rmg22893
2012-03-19, 05:45 PM
Hello all. quick question which is driving me insane=>

=>An insecticide creature template grants climb speed equal to landspeed.

However after reading MM and rules compendium it seems, such creature can not move on a ceiling or walls as you would EXPECT such creature to make. Because it is "impossible to climb smooth surface". It can't even move double its movement and has to keep passing climb checks.

=>a Monstrous Spider has climb speed and well is a SPIDER. However since its JUST climb speed he can't crawl on the walls even while being in its own web...
All same said above goes to here too.

=>Spider climb spell gives a creature a fairly slow climb speed BUT lets you actually climb like a spider... with no climb checks and at double your speed.

Question... is What THE %$^$&$#$#@#@@*more obscenities*?!?!? Wizards once again completely overrule ALL the rules?

So amm am I insane or is it how the rules go? If that is in fact the case I am informing my players about a house rule I am about to make...

/end ranting question...

A creature with a climb speed can climb anything without making checks as long as it is possible for a creature without a climb speed to climb it as well. Walls and ceilings are not always perfectly smooth.