PDA

View Full Version : Warlock's invocations choice and questions..[least and lesser]

Red_Dog
2012-03-19, 05:41 PM
Hello all... I have read all there was to read from a warlock's info compilation and glaive lock guides... and still I can't pick the invocations I want...

Basically I need invocation sets for Underdark combat for 9lvl warlocks[yes these are the drow warlock, but w/e that part isn't important]

They expect to see melee (occasional) so two main invocations that pretty much will be mandatory for ALL of them are =>

Least=> Eldritch Glaive
Lesser=> Flee the Scene[just too good IMO to pass up]

They can choose from one more lesser and 3 more least... I really have no clue on what to give them.

They operate in squads of 3-5-8(max) and fight a lot of undead and creatures that hide VERY well. Terrain is obviously underdark (caves and such, maybe some underground water systems)

I though one per 3 usually would have spiderwalk to give to his team mates. But I am not sure.

They are drow with 120 darkvision which is why see the unseen while will help them vs one of my players(has the blasted ring of dark hidden) would be useless against all of thier primary targets and will look like metagaming to me...

So yeah... I am rather torn... Really not sure what can I fit in such a small number of invocations as a lot of those are great... per squads of 3 I guess, the load out could vary some...

Thx, I hop for some help on this one ^^

Particle_Man
2012-03-19, 07:05 PM
120' darkvision? How about Eldritch Spear, then? When the enemies get close, flee the scene. Rinse and repeat. Entropic Warding to help protect a bit vs. ranged attacks.

AmberVael
2012-03-19, 07:19 PM
Actually, one guy with See the Unseen, Voidsense, or even Serpent's Tongue would make a lot of sense for a squad of patrolling drow. Sure, 120ft darkvision and racial spot bonuses will help them keep a look out, but there is always the chance of something invisible or particularly sneaky being out there. Perhaps not all of them might have it, but one per 5 would be quite reasonable, with someone as a designated 'scout.' Of course, to make your player feel pretty cool about his choice, you could have one or two groups not have such a scout (probably a squad of three).

Also, note that the vast majority of invocations (including Spiderwalk) are self only, and thus can't be used to buff allies.

In any case, Fell Flight is always cool, though it may be more limited in cavern areas.

Baleful Utterance is cool, though I might avoid using it on important PC items. Consider using it on stalactites to rain stuff down on the PCs, or other such "traps."

Flee the Scene/Fell Flight, and Entropic Warding and Eldritch Spear can make for a really mean team of warlock "archers." Keep distance with teleportation or flight, use Entropic Warding to make it harder to track them and hit them with ranged weaponry, and Eldritch Spear to shoot from afar.

Summon Swarm would be pretty darn thematic. Spiiideeers!

Speaking of spiders, take a look in the Drow of the Underdark book if you can get it (not the Underdark Faerun book, the other underdark book), as there is a kickass invocation in there called Spider-Shape, which can let your drow turn into large fiendish spiders.

Also, Walk Unseen. Totally mean, but legit. Run in while invisible, smack them around, go invisible, run away. Repeat!

nedz
2012-03-19, 08:43 PM
I've run smaller units of drow warlocks at about this level. I found Eldritch Spear to be essential if you don't want to get overrun. Fell flight is good, but Flee the Scene has a very short range. See the Unseen was probably the most powerful, but it depends upon how much the opponents use invisibility.

They will have a selection of wands too, of course.

Tokiko Mima
2012-03-20, 12:33 AM
Remember though, one thing often overlooked is that Flee the Scene is based on dimension door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm) which allows for multiple friendly targets to be teleported, not just the caster. If you have multiple warlocks working together they could coordinate this fact to move into ambush areas on the fly, or evacuate efficiently.

I imagine it would also be handy if they all wanted to get into Glaive range of a particular party member. Have two teammate dedicate themselves to Fleeing in and out, with one Eldritch Glaive user stabbing for all he/she's worth.

Socratov
2012-03-20, 01:23 AM
also, for only this instance, don't take fell flight, take spiderwalk instead and save your lesser invocation for flee the scene, invis and other such succulent goodies. And yeah, don't pass up on baleful utterance, it is a gem to have in caves...