PDA

View Full Version : What is the Nature of the Snarl?

Franz Totenkopf
2012-03-19, 07:03 PM
Now there are plenty of questions we have concerning whats going on in the plot, but one thing that's been bugging me is the nature of the Snarl, and what it intends to do if ever freed, or at least when more light is shed on it.

When the Snarl was first introduced, it was said to start out as a thing of chaos and malevolence, and was an obvious hint that the Snarl's alignment was likely Chaotic Evil. It went off and destroyed things out of spite for the gods and their arguements.

As the story continues, and Blackwing reaches the Azure City Rift when carrying the false phylactery, Blackwing sees what looks like a mirror image of "Earth" (or the mortal planet/plane/whatever).

Here's my theory: The Snarl was supposed to be a thing of chaos, right? And when the Gods began trapping it in the fabric of the Universe, it had no idea what to do because it was a thing of Chaos. So after years of imprisonment, the Snarl began understanding the order and methodicalness put into its trap and a new idea popped in its head: Law.

The Snarl, once a being of chaos, then begins to have a deeper understanding of how the trap works, and toys with Lawful thoughts as well as figures out a way to open up the trap, thus explaining the rifts. As it expands its ideas, the Snarl's alignment shifts from Chaotic or perhaps Neutral (since the Snarl would seem to be something more Syncretic, to better embody pure evil rather than targeting Law or Chaos, plus it was fabricated out of pieces of the Universe so it probably has a multitude of ideas and opinions of Lawful and Chaotic. I mean, it is made out of technically EVERYTHING, as a building block of the Universe).

So let me expand more on the Snarl's intentions.

Now the Snarl, with a deeper understanding of how things works (and perhaps liking this new idea of law) creates his own mirror Universe in the way he sees fit. A "perfect" world, under the Snarl for its own satisfaction.

Since the Snarl hates the Gods, I'm thinking it believes they are wrong and unjust and should be eradicated. The Snarl now believing itself as the better being that doesn't argue over the petty disputes, decides that it is more likely to be a better god, and plans to become the one and only ruling god of the entire realm. Thus the Snarl once freed will probably intend to slay the gods, and rule the world as an omnipotent single God, the way he sees fit. (Or it might just destroy it completely out of total hatred, and rebuild the Universe in his own beliefs. ORRRRR he simply believes that his realm is the better one and wishes to destroy the OOTS Universe out of spite and the belief of its unworthyness.)

And that's my insane speculation.

rgrekejin
2012-03-19, 07:13 PM
I'm gonna go with "We don't have nearly enough information to draw any informed conclusions at this time."

Franz Totenkopf
2012-03-19, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna go with "We don't have nearly enough information to draw any informed conclusions at this time."

What makes you say that?

D.KnightSpider
2012-03-19, 07:39 PM
What makes you say that?

Probably because most everything that we know about the Snarl comes from unreliable narrators and a one-panel shot of a world of some kind. That gives us a rather shaky base upon which to build speculation.

Redcloak has admitted that the Snarl isn't behaving in a manner in keeping with the information that they possess and V has dropped a hint that things aren't right with the story they've been told; that should indicate that something's not right with that particular information in the first place. So... yeah. We really don't have much to go on at this point in time.

Lord Bingo
2012-03-19, 08:49 PM
IMO it is quite likely that the Gods are lying about the Snarl and its nature - at the very least by omission.

I cannot help but think that the world inside the Snarls prison is not the first one it created, and I suspect that the Gods somehow "stole" the OOTS world...

Particle_Man
2012-03-19, 09:55 PM
It does seem odd that the Snarl has not yet come out of any of the rifts where the gates have been destroyed.

Makes me wonder if the Snarl = MitD theory bears any weight.

rgrekejin
2012-03-19, 10:01 PM
Yeah, the previous posters have pretty much covered all the bases. We know that some of what we know about the Snarl is probably wrong, or at least misinformed. The world within a world thing on its own shows that there's more going on here than meets the eye. Frankly, most of the information we've ever gotten about the Snarl is second-hand at best, and that's assuming the person who made the initial observation was interpreting what they saw correctly. The Snarl is clearly big and important, but how exactly if functions remains a mystery. For all we know, it may not even actually "unmake" people. Any theories we might formulate are just guesses... we don't have enough solid evidence to say much of anything at this point.

FujinAkari
2012-03-19, 10:07 PM
Makes me wonder if the Snarl = MitD theory bears any weight.

It doesn't, that theory has been expressly denied by Rich: "The MitD isn't a creature I made up"

Particle_Man
2012-03-19, 11:23 PM
Unless . . . The Snarl also is not a creature Rich made up. Is there anything like the Snarl? In the Epic book perhaps or Elder Evils?

blazingshadow
2012-03-19, 11:42 PM
the snarl is probably a custom abomination so it's not likely that MitD is related to it