PDA

View Full Version : Constructing towns/villages with NPCs outside of DMG only

mattie_p
2012-03-19, 07:29 PM
OK, so I'm working on a basic town with 3000 inhabitants. D&D DMG has rules for building generic towns including NPCs with levels based on a die roll + community modifier. How do you adjust for NPCs outside of the 11 player handbook base classes. In other words... is there a formula RAW for ninja, swordsage, psy warrior, beguiler, etc? Or do I need to make this stuff up? I'm willing to do that, but I'd prefer a built-in solution. I'm bringing in some very young, very inexperienced players who built un-optimized characters out of PHB only (my kids, need to break them in slowly) but want to show through NPC interactions the variety available in the future.

Of course, this could be yet another example of lack of support for base classes outside of core. Not that that would surprise me.

Zarake
2012-03-19, 08:05 PM
The way I did it is to simply swap the PHB class with the class that best replaces it, or a percentage of it. Works fairly well, just need to be careful you don't have a town full of Warblades.

bloodtide
2012-03-19, 08:12 PM
It's no support of other classes outside of core, naturally.

The easy thing to do, if you feel you 'must' follow the Core charts and tables is just change things from 'wizard' to 'arcane caster' or 'fighter' to 'martial warrior' and such, then pick the actual class types.

Or you could pick how 'rare' you want a class, then say something like 10% of all wizards are in fact warlocks, or such.

mattie_p
2012-03-20, 05:40 AM
The way I did it is to simply swap the PHB class with the class that best replaces it, or a percentage of it. Works fairly well, just need to be careful you don't have a town full of Warblades.

The easy thing to do, if you feel you 'must' follow the Core charts and tables is just change things from 'wizard' to 'arcane caster' or 'fighter' to 'martial warrior' and such, then pick the actual class types.

Or you could pick how 'rare' you want a class, then say something like 10% of all wizards are in fact warlocks, or such.

Yeah, strongly suspected as much. I want mostly core classes for this town, but this will give me some ideas when they start branching out. I'll probably throw a few unusual classes in there for flavor, they won't know the difference until they get more experience in 3.5. I mean, if a guy looks like a fighter and acts like a fighter, so far as they know, he's a fighter unless they decide to burn the town down and get stopped by a maneuver whirlwind.