PDA

View Full Version : Death that struck you the most (Spoilers)

t209
2012-03-19, 08:22 PM
Which character's death hit you the most?
Krunch (http://lfgcomic.com/page/480)
We knew him since the first run of the Looking for Group. Now he's dead at the hand of the emperor of Legara. Benny tried to resurrect him which failed.
Thanh (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html)
He, along with the resistance, perish at the hand of Red Cloak. He just say "Fight Me" equivalent before Osmium elemental crushes him to death. He manage to hold off the demons for Niu to escape.
One strange coincidence is that their death is caused by an elf (Elf Commander too stupid to call retreat vs Elven Emperor who slew the Minotaur with his blade.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-19, 09:46 PM
Thanh. Krunch's death offscreen was boring and random, considering how good of a warrior he'd been up till then. It just felt like raw wangst material, a Worf Effect if you will.

Thanh didn't die much more effectively, but you at least felt like he died for a reason, and did so 'onscreen' to boot.

TheSummoner
2012-03-19, 11:18 PM
Thanh.

I can't even take LFG seriously. For some reason that I don't fully understand, I still read it, but the plot is just... Kinda bad and poorly conveyed. It bounces around too much and it really makes it hard for me to care about anything going on or any of the characters.

t209
2012-03-19, 11:52 PM
Since I changed by title to accommodate more death scene.
How about
General Tulius. This was the ending I got before Order of the Stick 826 (Resistance's death). His death reminds me of 827, except Niu's equivalent (Rikke) died when she refused to run from Ulfric. He told Ulfric that he doomed the empire from Thalmor threat. He ignored it and I executed him.
Or the emperor. He just stood there and ask the assassin to kill him.

Starwulf
2012-03-20, 05:12 AM
Record of Lodoss War Spoilers: The Dwarf dying :-(. I stopped watching and have refused to watch it since. I had a bad feeling it was going to happen, and when it did I Just couldn't muster the ability to go on without him. I loved that gruff old dwarf :-(.

Mindartis
2012-03-20, 08:19 AM
Has anyone read Goblins? There are several deaths that strike you, surprisingly. If you havent read it, do so now. Goblincomic.com. But as for the deaths The "death" of Big Ears made my eyes water, and then the death of Chief. How he died for the rest of the team... So sad...

t209
2012-03-20, 10:10 AM
Has anyone read Goblins? There are several deaths that strike you, surprisingly. If you havent read it, do so now. Goblincomic.com. But as for the deaths The "death" of Big Ears made my eyes water, and then the death of Chief. How he died for the rest of the team... So sad...

I thought it was
The "death" of Senor Kickasso. Big Ears is alive and not fallen.

Traab
2012-03-20, 10:25 AM
Druss

There were just so many reasons why it struck me the most. The way it happened, dying on his feet from a poisoned wound, surrounded by enemies, he still cut down large numbers of them, killed an enemy herald that showed up just to mock him, then ordered one of his enemies to bring back his weapon. Then his funeral was even more awesome. His enemies took his body to give it a proper funeral, and the good guys walked right up to the enemy and joined in like it was the most natural thing ever. They were united for that one night in paying tribute to THE legend.

To hear the leader of the enemy talk about how among men there are warriors among men, among those warriors there are princes among them, among those princes there are kings, and amongst those kings there is an emperor. He talked about how even now his own people glance with fear at the funeral pyre, half expecting to see him stand back up and start fighting again. Just the idea of what kind of man you have to be to have that sort of reputation, to be considered so incredible, as if you are an unkillable titan out of myth and legend. To be so awesome that even in death people fear what you might do.

Although, ill be honest, virtually all of david gemmels books have at least one incredible death scene. The down side is its hard to describe the full effect because it generally involves covering several chapters worth of back story to explain why its so incredible. Its one thing to write about winter warriors. "A dying old warrior grabbed the monster and jumped off the cliff edge." Its another thing entirely to describe exactly what made that such an incredible scene.

Mindartis
2012-03-20, 10:52 AM
I thought it was
The "death" of Senor Kickasso. Big Ears is alive and not fallen. I was talking about when Big Ears is fighing the dude with the axe, and it appears for a moment that the axe went through him, only later to realize that it can't hurt a paladin. I can see that what I said was confusing, however. Lol.

Kato
2012-03-20, 02:00 PM
Hm... there were quite a few deaths that got me rather touched. I'll limit it to three. Weirdly, they are all from animes. I watch too much anime.

Gundam 00

Well, the one really iconic death at the end of season one. Wait, there were more than one? Maybe it was all of them together. But I just really loved Lockon and... well, it worked for me.

Usagi Drop

Dudes, don't ask me why, and I guess it maybe wasn't really a death scene but I was SHOCKED how much the first episode got to me. That was totally crazy.

Case Closed/Detective Conan

I couldn't name the episode title or the character and it was way back, like... ten years or so ago but something aboutthat one murderer who wanted to commit suicide by burning down the house and himself got me really choked up... or maybe it was because I already had a pretty bad day back then.

Oh, hey, there's something else: The end of Lufia II.

INDYSTAR188
2012-03-20, 02:08 PM
A Song of Ice and Fire
I am stuck between Eddard Stark and the entirety of the Red Wedding. On both occasions I stopped reading, said "NO WAY" out loud (my wife giving me a crazy look both times), put the book down and walked away for 10 minutes or so, and then pressed on.

Tengu_temp
2012-03-20, 02:42 PM
Bang.

You shall carry that burden.

t209
2012-03-20, 02:43 PM
That death that struck me the most (IN skyrim)
Ulfric's death in Skyrim. Even I hated him, it's hard for him to see his rebellion crushed by one man. All I can do to ease his pain is to gave him death (Which we requested). The apprentice, the talos priests just shunned at me for his death and complete ban on Talos Worship.
Another One
General Tulius, a general ordered to quell the rebellion in Skyrim. He kinda remind me of Thanh in 827 except his Niu equivalent, Rikke, refuse to surrender to Ulfric but she was killed by her former friends, Galmar and Ulfric. Before Tulius dies, he explains that Thalmor have started a rebellion to weaken the empire. Ulfric knows it (according to Dossier, he's a spy) and I executed him. After this ending, I started as an empire lover since they were better than the Stormcloaks.
and
Martin Septim. He just gave his life and bloodline to defeat Mehrune Dagons. Even Sheogorath loves him.

Anteros
2012-03-20, 04:22 PM
Bang.

You shall carry that burden.

Agreed. The series was already good, but that's the moment that made it into an all-time great.

Tavar
2012-03-20, 04:29 PM
Episode 8 of Gurren Lagann was pretty rough. Same episode 25.

Fan
2012-03-20, 06:25 PM
Episode 8 of Gurren Lagann was pretty rough. Same episode 25.

In the vein of Super Robots.

MUSASHI! MUSHAAASHI!

/Getter Robo.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-03-20, 06:36 PM
I don't want to go.
http://counterforce.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/bye-bye-tenth-doctor.jpg

Dumbledore lives
2012-03-20, 06:43 PM
She never woke up. That whole film was expert at playing the emotions, and I never want to see it again.

Maryring
2012-03-20, 06:50 PM
You guys mind placing the name of the comic or TV show or whatever outside the spoiler? Makes it easier to know which to skip over/identify what on earth you're talking about.

For me.

Trauma Centre
The death of Anderson. The whole game is built around the ideal of the main character, that no one should ever again have to die of an uncurable disease. Anderson died. They couldn't save him before the disease had taken too much of a toll on his body.

bluewind95
2012-03-21, 05:07 PM
Fullmetal Alchemist

Maes Hughes. Just... Hughes. The way Envy takes the form of his wife when he kills him is just... ow... and in his funeral, his daughter crying "No, Daddy still has a lot of work to do! Don't take him away!" oh gods.

And Nina. Especially in the manga. Probably the most heart-wrenching thing I've seen/read.

Zen Monkey
2012-03-21, 06:03 PM
Katsumoto's death is still hard to watch.

Also, I am a leaf on the wind...

Mauve Shirt
2012-03-21, 06:48 PM
It's easier to list the deaths in Harry Potter that DIDN'T strike me when I first read them.

Dienekes
2012-03-21, 07:14 PM
I don't want to go.

I have to admit I really disliked this one. I thought it was ridiculously drawn out, and Tennant kinda goes out like a wimp, compared to how most other Doctor's face their next regeneration. But it did give me this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyJ9_pSNoHE), so it couldn't have been all bad.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-03-21, 08:46 PM
One Piece.

Ace. Only on screen, non-flashback death. I'm pretty sure it hit everybody like a truck.

nazgulnine
2012-03-21, 08:46 PM
Tower of Druaga spoilers:

Ahmey's death (http://youtu.be/-yB0llAD0RA?t=17m7s) in "As a Solitary Shield" just punched me right in the emotions.

Vinland Saga spoilers:

Askeladd's death. Going out swinging, right to the end. I knew it had to happen, but the fact that it happened just upset me. You don't know how glad I was when he returned as Thorfinn's conscience... in hell!

Lord of the Rings (brace yourselves... the LOTR posts are coming)

Films and Boromir's last stand aside: Gollum's death in Book VI; not necessarily a "death that struck me most," because I wasn't particularly struck by his death (it was coming a mile away). Little 12-year old Nazgulnine was struck by the infamous passage where Frodo, pure-of-heart FRODO, gives in to the ring. For some reason, it was just so horrifyingly satisfying to read the line "I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!"

t209
2012-03-22, 12:16 AM
Also, I am a leaf on the wind...
That's sad for me to see Wash to die in Serenity.

thompur
2012-03-22, 11:06 AM
Buffy, The Vampire Slayer
Joyce Summers. I've seen it half a dozen times, and I still get choked up.

Buffy's death in "The Gift", the last episode of season 5.

Angel
Winifred Berkle

M*A*S*H
Henry Blake. Took me completely by suprise

NYPD Blue
Andy junior

Bobby Simone

Kjata
2012-03-22, 11:10 AM
I finally decided to play a patched copy of Fire Emblem 6, after wondering how the game goes for almost a decade.

Hector, my favorite character in both bameplay and personality from FE7, dies almost immediately. Like, chapter 3.

Robert Blackletter
2012-03-22, 06:50 PM
Agreed. The series was already good, but that's the moment that made it into an all-time great.

Dang i have no idea what series your talking about?

Druss

There were just so many reasons why it struck me the most. The way it happened, dying on his feet from a poisoned wound, surrounded by enemies, he still cut down large numbers of them, killed an enemy herald that showed up just to mock him, then ordered one of his enemies to bring back his weapon. Then his funeral was even more awesome. His enemies took his body to give it a proper funeral, and the good guys walked right up to the enemy and joined in like it was the most natural thing ever. They were united for that one night in paying tribute to THE legend.

To hear the leader of the enemy talk about how among men there are warriors among men, among those warriors there are princes among them, among those princes there are kings, and amongst those kings there is an emperor. He talked about how even now his own people glance with fear at the funeral pyre, half expecting to see him stand back up and start fighting again. Just the idea of what kind of man you have to be to have that sort of reputation, to be considered so incredible, as if you are an unkillable titan out of myth and legend. To be so awesome that even in death people fear what you might do.

Although, ill be honest, virtually all of david gemmels books have at least one incredible death scene. The down side is its hard to describe the full effect because it generally involves covering several chapters worth of back story to explain why its so incredible. Its one thing to write about winter warriors. "A dying old warrior grabbed the monster and jumped off the cliff edge." Its another thing entirely to describe exactly what made that such an incredible scene.

Personally I think it was Gemmel's greatest talent, the death scene, even his lesser character's and one off were unusually well written when it came to there deaths. He and Sir Pratchett got me reading. And Bison death still bring a tear to my eye to this day, from the act itself, the child asking if "he saw his wing" to the swordmaster (sorry away from books) musing over how the legend would change over the years. I love Druss but his death pales on the tearjerker front compared to Bisons.

Oh god, I recently reread the goblin comics and that was so well done. Bravo Thunt bravo

Now my own Death that struck me Were in Sluggy Freelance

Mosp and Alternative Zoe, Mosp made me want to cry, while Turg reaction to AltZoe death Redemption overrated made the story even more poignant to me

thubby
2012-03-22, 08:33 PM
Emperor Titus Mede II (skyrim) stands out as one of the few npcs i didn't want to kill.

t209
2012-03-22, 08:46 PM
Emperor Titus Mede II (skyrim) stands out as one of the few npcs i didn't want to kill.

He sure has some balls to stand and talk to the Assasin (You).
P.S- Spoiler it! There are people who are playing Skyrim.

pita
2012-03-23, 06:40 AM
EDIT HERE-I don't know what I was thinking when I made that quote. I just.... don't know....
The moment I realized ADWD was just as awesome as was promised was:
The death of Janos Slynt
Not tragic at all, but it hit me in the way any really good twist does. It puts every Cersei chapter in AFFC in a different perspective.
Jon hit pretty heavily. Especially since I spent the entire series disliking him up to Janos's death, and ADWD was simply a process of me deciding "Jon is the single most awesome character in the books" up until that point.
One that surprisingly devastated me was in The Tawny Man
Nighteyes. It's not fair to make me cry for an animal companion. Robin Hobb cheated.

Killer Angel
2012-03-23, 07:12 AM
ASOIAF is full of those, but Red wedding and Ned are probably the first in line.

And i will add Gundam - War in the pocket.

Yora
2012-03-23, 07:23 AM
Vinland Saga spoilers:

Askeladd's death. Going out swinging, right to the end. I knew it had to happen, but the fact that it happened just upset me. You don't know how glad I was when he returned as Thorfinn's conscience... in hell!

The whole scene is amazing.

My number 1 was in Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

12 lone wolf terrorists meet together, each carrying a sword shaped package, and visit a temple. Then they make their way to a TV station building.
Then they wait for news teams to arrive and cut their own heads off.

polity4life
2012-03-23, 07:33 AM
The one that hit me, at least in anime, was...

Kenshin's death in the second Samurai X movie. He was literally coming undone by that point from disease, wounds, infection, and the emotional toll of leaving his wife for so long and breaking his oath earlier in the film. It was sad when Kaoru finally says his real name as he dies. Sanouske's final moments with Kenshin was probably one of the more touching farewells I've seen in the medium too.

dehro
2012-03-23, 07:54 AM
uhm.. there are many, some have been mentioned, I'll throw in a classic..

in Les Miserables
Gavroche
possibly because I was about his age when I first read the book

Kjata
2012-03-23, 08:37 AM
ASOIAF is full of those, but Red wedding and Ned are probably the first in line.

And i will add Gundam - War in the pocket.

About ASOIAF
The red wedding didn't actually affect me all that much. I knew Robb was dying from the minute Ned died. Once Ned died, I knew martin would kill anybody, even those with chapters from their point of view. Being the only Stark child without chapters was as good as having a sign hanging from his neck saying "dead man walking..." Of course, the manner in how Robb died was a shock. I had no idea his actual death would be so brutal.

Gnoman
2012-03-23, 04:03 PM
From the Gundam Franchise

lLah-Lah (Mobile Suit Gundam) and Sarah (Zeta Gundam) really hit me because of who was forced to kill them (Amuro and Kotts, respectively.)

Tengu_temp
2012-03-23, 04:19 PM
Some video game examples:
Persona 3
Shinji. And later, the main character.

Final Fantasy 5
Galuf

Valkyria Chronicles
Isara

Metal Gear Solid 3
The Boss
And those are just the most notable examples. I'm a sucker for a good/heart-wrenching death scene.

Dang i have no idea what series your talking about?

It's Cowboy Bebob.
Why pita quoted the same post as you but is talking about something completely different, I don't even.

blackspeeker
2012-03-23, 04:42 PM
About ASOIAF
The red wedding didn't actually affect me all that much. I knew Robb was dying from the minute Ned died. Once Ned died, I knew martin would kill anybody, even those with chapters from their point of view. Being the only Stark child without chapters was as good as having a sign hanging from his neck saying "dead man walking..." Of course, the manner in how Robb died was a shock. I had no idea his actual death would be so brutal.
He isn't the only stark without pov chapters Then again. Rickon is ono a child, and has been put on a bus to skaagos
Storm of swords
Again the red wedding. But for cat stark, I think somedays I am the only one shocked and still upset by her death. Then elated by her resurrection and then had my hopes dashed against the floor once I read the next two books and she was no longer a poverty character. Although maybe the adventures of zombie cat wouldn't make the best read.

TSGames
2012-03-25, 02:54 PM
The only time I have almost cried in a movie... the death of Spock.

Killer Angel
2012-03-26, 02:32 AM
About ASOIAF

The first death was more unexpected, but the RW was indeed brutal and shocking.

Jon hit pretty heavily. Especially since I spent the entire series disliking him up to Janos's death, and ADWD was simply a process of me deciding "Jon is the single most awesome character in the books" up until that point.

to be fair, it's still not certain that he's dead. He was stabbed to death, and death is likely, but 'til the next book we don't know for sure

Yora
2012-03-26, 04:41 AM
Metal Gear Solid 3
The Boss
While I think
Sniper Wolf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wriaT32v2T0)
is a lot better, that one is especially cruel since
the cutscene after defeating her makes a short break and waits for you to press the fire button while the gun is aimed at her head.
That she demanded it and didn't tell him she was actually innocent makes it even worse.
And then you get a medal for it. That's a Start of Darkness if there ever was one.
And yes, those are all villains. Which you killed yourself.

Cheesegear
2012-03-26, 04:55 AM
Beast Wars
Dinobot in Code of Hero. The title of the episode says enough if you know he dies at the end.

Come to think of it, for a kids' show, Beast Wars had a few deaths.

Angel
Wesley. Fred too. But not near so much as Wes. Easily the strongest character in the series.

The Legend of Druss
Druss

DragonLance
Sturm
Flint. Just Flint.
Tas during the Chaos War, Tas during the War of Souls.
Laurana
Razor

Wheel of Time
Jain Farstrider

Barbarian MD
2012-03-26, 09:14 AM
To those of you talking about the last scene in the latest GRR Martin book:I thought it was understood that Jon is going to be truly resurrected by Melisandre (not a Cat sort of resurrection) and turn out to be Azor Ahai reborn, since it's a requirement that Azor Ahai come back from the dead (again). Stannis has just been a pretender, and Melisandre, while she's good, isn't 100% accurate when it comes to her visions.

Terraoblivion
2012-03-26, 10:06 AM
I have to support Tengu's third video game example. Everything there was just set up to hit you as much as possible. Just listening to the song that plays in the next scene always causes me to tear up a bit. I was also hugely affected by his first one, but not this much.

I have a few to add myself too.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Episode 10, the end of the third timeline. Homura's whimper as she carries out Madoka's request to kill her before she turns into a witch is just horrible.

Suikoden V
I personally found Arshtat and her husband's death quite horrible. Especially since the game makes it perfectly clear that Arshtat is a great, loving wife, mother and queen when not being controlled by the Sun Rune.

Steins;Gate
Moeka shooting Mayuri at the end of episode 12. There has been no violence at all up until that point and suddenly a character I liked shows up and brutally executed the most innocent character in the entire show. Not that seeing Okabe stabbing Kurisu by accident wasn't rough either. Or Braun driving Moeka to suicide once she's no longer needed...really all deaths in this show are horrible.

I'm sure there are more, but these and the most famous ASOIAF death are the only ones springing to mind right now.

Killer Angel
2012-03-27, 02:27 AM
To those of you talking about the last scene in the latest GRR Martin book:I thought it was understood that Jon is going to be truly resurrected by Melisandre (not a Cat sort of resurrection) and turn out to be Azor Ahai reborn, since it's a requirement that Azor Ahai come back from the dead (again). Stannis has just been a pretender, and Melisandre, while she's good, isn't 100% accurate when it comes to her visions.

It's my impression too. I don't know if i could say "it's my hope, too"... but some characters are (to me) more important than other ones (with PoV).

Kyberwulf
2012-03-27, 01:19 PM
From Dragonlance. Sturm's last stand. I don't know know why. I didn't care about him. He wasn't at all my favorite Character. When he faltered and showed fear, but he still stayed and fought the dragons. He sacrificed his life. His actions has just has stayed with me.

Also, I watched The Hunger Games last night. The death of Rue. Her death made me cry for some reason. All the other kids dying, didn't strike me.

bluewind95
2012-03-30, 12:54 AM
Also, I watched The Hunger Games last night. The death of Rue. Her death made me cry for some reason. All the other kids dying, didn't strike me.

Thanks for the spoiler. I was intending to watch that this weekend. :smallannoyed:

pita
2012-03-30, 06:22 AM

I understood elsewise:
Jon returns as Snow, just as Varamyr did in the beginning. It's not Jon. It's Jon Reborn, a different character. It makes a ton of sense, given a lot of the hints, but I don't remember all. It doesn't make sense for me that he'll be reanimated in a way that means we'll get a POV of his.

thubby
2012-03-30, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the spoiler. I was intending to watch that this weekend. :smallannoyed:

you're in a thread dedicated to significant and impactful deaths in fiction. how could there be anything but spoilers?

pita
2012-03-30, 07:01 AM
you're in a thread dedicated to significant and impactful deaths in fiction. how could there be anything but spoilers?

Because the thoughtful thing to do would be to put your spoilers in a spoiler block thingy, so that people can overlook them if they're not interested in being spoiled.

FatJose
2012-03-30, 11:21 AM
First memorable death I ever saw in fiction of a non evil villain.
Mufasa
As a child I looked to my father to ask him if the character would be alright but my dad just sat their stone faced with tears coming down.

Tavar
2012-03-30, 11:58 AM
It's not too much of a spoiler, in any case. The Characters in question are all involved in a massive fight to the death, and when she's introduced you can tell from the moment what her fate is.

Raimun
2012-03-30, 11:59 AM
Star Wars
The death of Darth Vader in episode VI. He was the iconic villain but had a change of heart in the end. Died shortly after he started to walk towards redemption.

Gurren Lagann
Kamina. Can't believe he was killed by some head lackey but then again, he was too awesome to live.

Metal Gear Solid
Got to agree about the Boss.

Turcano
2012-03-31, 04:27 AM
"I'm not dying, I'm entering the legend."

otakuryoga
2012-03-31, 02:43 PM
Dr Who...the death of K9

nazgulnine
2012-03-31, 03:12 PM
Just thought of another...

Blade Runner.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears... in rain.
Time to die. (http://youtu.be/a_saUN4j7Gw?t=2m25s)

Solaris
2012-04-02, 02:18 AM
I'm another one for Tasslehoff's death. I didn't cry - I don't think I've shed tears without being furious (in that "I deeply want to end you but I know I couldn't get away with it" kind of way) in a long, long time - but I did get choked up. Eddard, Rob, Tanis, those guys dying didn't bother me - fighting men die. Hell, even real-world people being seriously hurt or dying, I'm more likely to crack a joke than get choked up. Tas, on the other hand, Tas was one of the innocents.

Jan Mattys
2012-04-02, 08:29 AM
Mass Effect 3

Mordin Solus.

I cried.

DefKab
2012-04-02, 09:01 AM
As far as the most devastating death for me, it comes in Gears of War 2.

The death of Tai. Despite barely knowing him, I got the unkillable attitude out of him, and to see how destroyed he was just hit me hard.