PDA

View Full Version : war mind

hivedragon
2012-03-19, 08:43 PM
what's the best way to qualify for this prc?

Soranar
2012-03-19, 08:51 PM
I'm assuming the SRD version (where you just need 8 ranks of knowledge psionics)

- play a psionic class

or

- play a factotum with a psionic race or take the hidden talent feat
- play a giant with the primordial giant template (adds 1 knowledge of your choice, take hidden talent for the PP)
- play a human paragon, take hidden talent for the PP

or

put 8 levels in knowledge psionic as cross skill points, take hidden talent for the PP

or

finally

-beg your DM to allow you to take a training feat to gain access to knowledge psionics

All I can think of

Essence_of_War
2012-03-19, 09:06 PM
Any martial progression w/ the education feat.

Any martial progression with a (likely 2 level) psychic warrior dip.

Sir Wisdom the SAD:

From here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Elan Paladin 4/Sanctified Mind 1/War Mind 5/Sanctified Mind 2-6
A Paladin using the Serenity feat (Dragon Magazine, also on Crystalkeep) uses Wis instead of Cha for all of his class abilities. So now your Wis improves all of your Saves (and it effectively doubles up on your Will Save), and you can use it for Smite (bonus to hit) and Turn Undead uses (various Divine feats).

I'd personally be partial to a human (int at least 12) Swordsage 1-2/Psywar 1/ Swordsage 3/PsyWar 2/War Mind X/ more swordsage.

(Not RAW, buuuttttt: Ask DM if he'll let you progress your psychic warrior abilities w/ the War Mind as per pathfinder. If so, try Monk 2/ PsyWar 4/Warmind X/More PsyWar w/ the monastic training and tashalatora feats from ECS)

Hunter Killer
2012-03-19, 09:12 PM
Education (Eberron Campaign Setting; Gives all Knowledge as Class Skills) and Hidden Talent (Wizards Site (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a); 2 PP and one 1st Level Power) as a 1st Level Human Warblade (Tome of Battle).

Primary stat would Strength, but secondary stat might be Intelligence, and tertiary as Wisdom. Dump all your Skill Points in Knowledges and key Discipline skills. Grab Knowledge Devotion (Completed Champion; Knowledge checks to get bonus on To-Hit) at 3rd level, as well as the Collector of Stories Skill Trick (Complete Scoundrel; +5 to one Knowledge Check per encounter).

I'd go Warblade 5/War Mind 5/Warblade 10. This way you're not giving up high-level Maneuvers, but you get a little bit of a Psionic goodness and one of the best combat abilities: Sweeping Strikes. YMMV on it, though, depending on how the DM rules Maneuvers interact with Sweeping Strikes.

You could also go Warblade 5/War Mind 10/Warblade 5, but you're giving up high-level Maneuvers and only gaining a moderate post to power with Psionics because Maneuvers can mostly reproduce the effects (This isn't true if you're using your feats on Expanded Knowledge and some cheesy Psionic tricks; If that's the case then go for it! Wisdom becomes secondary and Intelligence becomes tertiary).

Essence_of_War
2012-03-19, 09:22 PM
Cloistered Cleric gets you knowledge devotion for free which can be used to add Knowledge (psionics) permanently.

Duskblade has all Knowledge skills and frequently likes taking knowledge devotion anyway.

Human Paragon 1 gets adaptive learning which can nab you knowledge (psionic) permanently (and I know of no DM who wouldn't let levels in human paragon progress manifesting instead of casting).

Yay options! :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2012-03-19, 09:45 PM
Check the previous Iron Optimization challenges. There was a War Mind one. I remember lots of different methods of entry there.

Essence_of_War
2012-03-19, 10:03 PM
Keld is right:

Thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9426386)

Although, if I may say so, the entrance methods are mostly pretty straightforward. There is A LOT of "1st level, education" going on.

Big Fau
2012-03-20, 01:41 AM
Education (Eberron Campaign Setting; Gives all Knowledge as Class Skills) and Hidden Talent (Wizards Site (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a); 2 PP and one 1st Level Power) as a 1st Level Human Warblade (Tome of Battle).

Primary stat would Strength, but secondary stat might be Intelligence, and tertiary as Wisdom. Dump all your Skill Points in Knowledges and key Discipline skills. Grab Knowledge Devotion (Completed Champion; Knowledge checks to get bonus on To-Hit) at 3rd level, as well as the Collector of Stories Skill Trick (Complete Scoundrel; +5 to one Knowledge Check per encounter).

I'd go Warblade 5/War Mind 5/Warblade 10. This way you're not giving up high-level Maneuvers, but you get a little bit of a Psionic goodness and one of the best combat abilities: Sweeping Strikes. YMMV on it, though, depending on how the DM rules Maneuvers interact with Sweeping Strikes.

You could also go Warblade 5/War Mind 10/Warblade 5, but you're giving up high-level Maneuvers and only gaining a moderate post to power with Psionics because Maneuvers can mostly reproduce the effects (This isn't true if you're using your feats on Expanded Knowledge and some cheesy Psionic tricks; If that's the case then go for it! Wisdom becomes secondary and Intelligence becomes tertiary).

Another option is the Slayer PrC, or one of the other Psionic advancement PrCs. If possible, a Psionic variant of the Jade Phoenix Mage would be the best option though.

sonofzeal
2012-03-20, 02:34 AM
War Mind seems designed, not for Psionic characters, but for characters who have been training other disciplines and want to pick up Psi relatively late in their careers. A Fighter/Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue/etc can dip Psychic Warrior for a couple levels and qualify that way. This was the sort of "logical entry" assumed by the PrC Tier system.