PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette for playing in a badly run module

GreyRat
2012-03-19, 10:16 PM
Dear Miss Gaming Manners,
I'm currently in a group whose players take turns GMing different things, and our current GM is running us through a module... badly. Without going into details (because I will rant, and he might hear about it), the guy is shaky on the rules, plays NPCs poorly, leaves out vital information, gets confused during combat, etc. And unfortunately, he does not respond well to criticism; not that he gets violent, he just won't admit needing to change. He's an ok player, but not a natural GM.
Almost every session of his has left me annoyed, if not angry, and I'm honestly not having much fun. The last one especially left me fuming at an NPC who acted incredibly stupidly, withheld basic information for no reason, and (IMHO) endangered the whole party. I honestly want to grab the other party members and teleport away from this idiot for our own safety- but the NPC is the one and only plot hook, and abandoning them will end the module. Obviously, that's kind of a bastard move for a player, especially with a GM who couldn't improvise wetness if you threw him in a pool. I'm reluctant to back my character out of the module since the party is already quite small, plus I don't want to hurt the dynamics of the playing group by refusing one member's GMing.
So do you have any suggestions? I've been grinning and bearing it, but another session like the last one, and I swear I'll kill that NPC, plot point or no.
Oh, and thanks for last week's column on character creation showers, very practical advice!

erikun
2012-03-19, 10:41 PM
Dear GreyRat,

Is this a purchased module your temporary-GM is running through? Because if so, then Miss Gaming Manners would like to remind you that there are simply some modules that are poorly put together; a critical plot hook that is restricted to a single NPC sounds like a good example. You might try recommending modules that are better written, or which play more to your friend's strengths.

If your temporary GM is creating their own modules, then you might have best luck directing them to an online resource for assistance in putting them together. This is just one website of many that can offer advise, and they will likely be better aided by a place where they can ask and get replies than just a page with guides and tips.

For leveling critiques, try to keep things short and to-the-point. A single problem point that you felt held up the game session, for example. It would also be useful to highlight the parts of the game you did enjoy as well, both to encourage such parts in the future and to point out that such critiques are not just for point out bad stuff. It could be worthwile to start such sessions during your own times as DM, asking everyone what they liked and didn't like about the session; such feedback could turn out helpful with identifying problems in your own DMing style you aren't aware of.

Sincerely,
Miss Gaming Manners

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-03-19, 10:45 PM
i'll like to ask the following.

Has this person run a game before?
How long has he played the system you are using?
have you yourself talked to the person, about how you feel when playing the game?
do the other players feel the same way you do?

If the other players feel the same way you do, tell the GM your group kills the NPC and goes to the near by city for drinks.

erikun
2012-03-19, 11:06 PM
One other bit of advise that I apparently forgot to mention: roleplay it up. Act in character, complete with speech and arm movements. Go ahead and say what your character is doing in town, beyond walking along with the party or buying supplies. Engage in small talk with the NPCs, asking them about their day and recent happenings.

This isn't meant to be annoying, but rather engaging. A lot of trepidation can come from looking silly or appearing out of place; if your GM doesn't seem to be running his NPCs well, then perhaps treating them as a character rather than a quest point will encourage the behaviour you're looking for.

JonRG
2012-03-19, 11:33 PM
Gentle Reader,

Tempting as it may be to crush the NPC, see him driven before you and hear the lamentations of your DM, I would advise against it. Such a move will not make your DM learn anything, except that (in his opinion) you enjoy wrecking campaigns. This assumes, of course, that he lets you kill the NPC in the first place. DMs can be even shakier on the rules when a plot-critical character is on the line.

However, for all his flaws, he could be a good DM one day. It just takes practice. One resource I've found very helpful (though my campaign's still in the planning stage) is Paizo's Game Mastery Guide (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8ffn?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-GameMastery-Guide). It's for Pathfinder, but it has a lot of general wisdom about running NPCs, creating a dynamic world, and making rule decisions quickly. Miss Gaming Manners loves her hardcover copy, but the PDF should serve his needs just as well and be more readily obtainable. This form of presentation might also allow him to improve his style on his own without any hurt feelings.

I'm glad you enjoyed the last column. Next week, learn what to get the wizard that has everything. :smallbiggrin:

Sincerely,
Miss Gaming Manners

Mastikator
2012-03-20, 04:53 AM
Ask the current GM is he's having fun, offer to take over. It sounds like he's not gonna improve, might as well make sure he's doing what he does best: play.

Leon
2012-03-20, 06:25 AM
If you are not enjoying it take a break from it till the GM cycle changes. It is not your place to force someone to change how they run a module, if you think you can do it better wait till its your turn to run something at take a shot at it. Until then live with it or take a break.

Yora
2012-03-20, 06:58 AM
Lie back and think of England.

But also discontinuing the practice of rotating GMs may be a good idea. Only leads to problems.

GreyRat
2012-03-20, 10:44 AM
FWIW, this GM has both run and played the system before, and is running us through a published campaign, so he's committed not only to this module, but the ones following, may gawds have mercy on us all.
We have actually discussed the poor module design with him, and he acknowledged it, but has no interest in correcting the flaws or switching games. As for engaging the NPCs, attempts to converse either get boxed text response, single word answers, or hand waving. Or abuse, because the GM likes playing bastards who give us a hard time.

My current thought is to forcibly sit the NPC down and make it clear in no uncertain terms why my character is angry, and that if the behavior recurs I will leave the NPC and take along any of the other PCs who wish to go. Hopefully the GM will understand that I'm also speaking for the player. And yes, at least one other player agrees with me.

Really, I'm not usually a troublemaker. I think I'm most upset because the set up for this module is extremely weak; the _players_ have to make a conscious decision to believe and follow an NPC they have no reason to trust, and now I feel like the GM has punished us for not derailing his shaky plot. So, where's my motivation again?

Rorrik
2012-03-20, 12:24 PM
The best out might be to role play the growing distrust of your character for the NPC, foster distrust among the rest of the party, and thus make a fun conflict with the plot hook. See what happens from there.

Zale
2012-03-20, 04:53 PM
Have fun with implied in-character threats.

Such as having a rogue start sharpening his daggers and staring intently at the NPC when the NPC starts acting annoying.

Or have the wizard start talking about how she/he is researching a magic spell to instantly invert someone's skin, then glance at the NPC.

No one wants to anger wandering murderous hobos professional murderers and tomb-robbers Adventurers.

nedz
2012-03-20, 05:15 PM
Dear Raygret,

Have you considered that he may be a sublime DM and consumate roleplayer, meerly acting the part of a poor and wretched DM prior to the ultimate reveal?

In which case you should waste no time in murderising said plot bearing NPC thus allowing him to subvert the module and revel in his newly acquired status of master of improvisation.

You could, at the very least, give him a shot at this ?

It ought, at the very least, to be slightly more hilarious than your current endevour.

GreyRat
2012-03-20, 06:24 PM
Oh I like your thinking Nedz. I'm gonna start reading your etiquette column too. :smallbiggrin:

Jay R
2012-03-22, 11:48 AM
Gentle Reader:

Unfortunately, there is no proper way to tell your host that what he served you was not properly prepared. You are correct, however, in your desire to preserve the social amenities of accepting hospitality from anybody to whom you have previously offered it.

If we were speaking of a dinner party, I would urge you to eat a couple of sandwiches in advance, and plead a diet or illness to explain why you are not partaking of the host's well-intended but improperly cooked dinner.

But as this is a game, there is no equivalent. The closest equivalent is to take careful notes throughout the game, and never let your host realize that you are in fact writing your own next adventure.

Killing the plothook has never been supported by the rules of etiquette. Furthermore, you cannot kill the character in response to mistakes made by the DM. I must also point out that an improvising DM who cannot improvise well is much slower. the only effect your proposed action might have is to make the game last longer, which I suspect is not really your desired result.

There are only two socially acceptable ways to end a module quickly - either complete it, or undergo a TPK.

So I urge you to either allow the NPC to lead you into danger and attempt to make it a TPK, or attempt to finish the game as quickly as possible. Note that neither is aided by causing difficulties for the NPC or the DM.

In either case, when you are finished, you must thank your host for a lovely time.

MonkeyBusiness
2012-03-24, 02:10 PM
Jay R, your contribution to this thread made my day. Not only did you perfectly imitate the style of the fabulous Judith Martin, your advice was impeccable. It is very true that arguing with the DM and killing off characters will only create hostility in the group, and might in fact draw out this situation. Well done. The cookie truck will be backing up to your house shortly.

Gentle Reader:

Unfortunately, there is no proper way to tell your host that what he served you was not properly prepared. You are correct, however, in your desire to preserve the social amenities of accepting hospitality from anybody to whom you have previously offered it.

If we were speaking of a dinner party, I would urge you to eat a couple of sandwiches in advance, and plead a diet or illness to explain why you are not partaking of the host's well-intended but improperly cooked dinner.

But as this is a game, there is no equivalent. The closest equivalent is to take careful notes throughout the game, and never let your host realize that you are in fact writing your own next adventure.

Killing the plothook has never been supported by the rules of etiquette. Furthermore, you cannot kill the character in response to mistakes made by the DM. I must also point out that an improvising DM who cannot improvise well is much slower. the only effect your proposed action might have is to make the game last longer, which I suspect is not really your desired result.

There are only two socially acceptable ways to end a module quickly - either complete it, or undergo a TPK.

So I urge you to either allow the NPC to lead you into danger and attempt to make it a TPK, or attempt to finish the game as quickly as possible. Note that neither is aided by causing difficulties for the NPC or the DM.

In either case, when you are finished, you must thank your host for a lovely time.

shadow_archmagi
2012-03-25, 10:05 AM
JR's post is completely correct- However, I'll supplement it with this:

You should talk to the rest of the group. It's possible that no one else has a problem with his style and would be horrified to find out about your dreams of teleporting away entirely. It's also possible that they're all just as fed up as you. Sometimes the first will become the second once you bring it up- I've had many conversations that conclude with "My god, you're right! This movie is awful! I didn't realize!"

Once you've established your feelings with the rest of the group, then you have three potential scenarios

1. Multiple people dislike the bad DM
The group airs their complaints and the bad DM caves to peer pressure and resolves to straighten up his act and fly right.Great Victory

2. Multiple people dislike the bad DM
The group airs their complaints and the bad DM disregards them. He is no longer allowed to DM. Problem solved?

3. Zero other people dislike the bad DM
The group empathizes with you and makes of point of finding other ways to help you enjoy the game- maybe they make you Group Treasurer so you can bury yourself in endless lists of gold while they get on with the plot, or maybe they just see to it that you're given a candy bar and a pat on the back and a gentle "I know buddy. I know" whenever you look angry. Life slightly more bearable than before

Need_A_Life
2012-03-25, 02:09 PM
Dear Miss Gaming Manners,
I'm currently in a group whose players take turns GMing different things, and our current GM is running us through a module... badly. [...] the guy is shaky on the rules, plays NPCs poorly, leaves out vital information, gets confused during combat, [...] does not respond well to criticism. [...] I'm honestly not having much fun.
[...]
So do you have any suggestions?
Dear GreyRat,

The first thing you must ask yourself is whether the issue is worth forcing. If, for example, there is only a few hours of play worth of the module, spending that time arguing would hardly be worth it.

Second, you should ask your fellow gamers whether they share your view on how the GM is doing. You may find that their opinion differs greatly from your own, in which case demanding a change may cause general resentment.

Finally, lamenting things in-character is a perfectly valid form of expression. If an NPC has seemingly tried to send you to your deaths then threatening to burn off his face if he doesn't explain the reason for his malice and/or stupidity may cause that NPC to change his tune, if only for self-preservation.
If the NPC won't bow to threats of physical or psychic harm, such as such may be under certain GMs, then mind-affecting powers to compel truth and cooperation should be utilized ruthlessly.

If NPCs continue to try and cheat professional murderers then you should leave their burnt, castrated corpses for the crows try to change public opinion of you.

Consider reading next month as my column will be covering the subject of Enhanced Interrogation Techniques.

Ashtagon
2012-03-25, 03:29 PM
One other bit of advise that I apparently forgot to mention: roleplay it up. Act in character, complete with speech and arm movements. Go ahead and say what your character is doing in town, beyond walking along with the party or buying supplies. Engage in small talk with the NPCs, asking them about their day and recent happenings.

This isn't meant to be annoying, but rather engaging. A lot of trepidation can come from looking silly or appearing out of place; if your GM doesn't seem to be running his NPCs well, then perhaps treating them as a character rather than a quest point will encourage the behaviour you're looking for.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HamAndCheese

TheOOB
2012-03-25, 10:23 PM
Just an aside, I'd suggest any GM that can get ahold of it read through Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering (http://www.amazon.com/Robins-Laws-Good-Game-Mastering/dp/1556346298/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt), it's an amazing read.