PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Tank

TheMooch
2012-03-19, 10:27 PM
I am putting a gestalt tank together as a thought experiment, the goal is to be extremely hard to kill while still getting some nice damage output with lockdown

the idea so far:
wolf totem barbarian 2/fighter 1/Crusader 17// half mino 2/ psychic warrior 2/fighter +1/warforged juggernaut 1/champion of gwynharwyf 6/warblade 1/champion of gwynharwyf +2/divine oracle 2/warforged juggernaut +1/warblade +1/warforged juggernaut +1

basically was trying to grab the improved rage, improved trip, buff spells, evasion in armor, immunities and other goodies from the barbarian 2>champion of gwynharwyf 8>divine oracle 2 line

get the tanking maneuvers including healing and thicket of blades from crusader and dips into warblade for IHS and a few others

psychic warrior 2 for expansion and feats
fighter 2 for feats

warforged juggernaut for immunities

half mino for stats

feats needed:
EWP (spiked chain)
adamantine body
imp bullrush
power attack
skill focus (knowledge religion)
knight of stars
righteous wrath

other feats:
knockdown
robilars gambit
combat reflexes
defensive sweep
overwhelming assault
extra granted maneuver

This build nets:
9th lvl crusader manuevers
rage 3/day
expansion up to gargantuan (for tripping colossal)
mettle
evasion in armor
loads of immunities

few things I would like to do, squeeze in frenzied berserker if possible for those goodies

I need to double check overlapping immunities between champion of gwynharwyf and warforged juggernaut

any other suggestions or critiques?

Aegis013
2012-03-19, 11:05 PM
The only thing I see without cracking open books and meticulously checking stuff (which I don't want to do) is the little oddity on your Crusader side of the gestalt. You have an uneven number of non-martial adept classes. I was under the impression due to how IL works, you'd probably want to dip something else for one of those Crusader levels, since you'll still end up at the same IL, and therefore the same maneuver level cap.

TheMooch
2012-03-19, 11:18 PM
That's true, I could always switch the second level of warblade over to that side and take an additional level of juggernaut

edit: or another level of champion of G for greater rage

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-19, 11:25 PM
"Half-minotaur" is an inherited template that can be added to any creature of the giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid type (referred to hereafter as the "base creature") from Small to Huge in size.

You cannot make a Half-Minotuar Warforged, that template is incompatible with the Warforged Juggernaut prestige class unless you're also using the Incarnate Construct template from Savage Species. Edit: Half-Minotaur is Inherited, while Incarnate Construct is Acquired, so it's technically still incompatible.

Why not just go Wolf Totem Lion Spirit Barbarian 2/ Crusader 18// Psychic Warrior 20? You may as well use the Lion spiritual totem in CC, since you won't get Fast Movement in heavy armor anyway.

Get (Greater) Heavy Armor Optimization and Deflective Armor from Races of Stone. Use Linked Power for buffs. Get Psicrystal Affinity and Expanded Knowledge: Share Pain, use Share Pain on your Psicrystal every day. You can share buffs with a Psicrystal, such as Vigor, and don't forget it has Hardness 8.

Maybe mix in some Fighter for Dungeoncrasher if you're using Knock-Back, maybe still include Warforged Juggernaut if you want to use it, but I'd put it on the Crusader side of the build. Psychic Warrior actually gets some decent powers, and you'll want the bigger powerpoint pool and manifester level.

Suddo
2012-03-20, 12:12 AM
Sense I assume you want some optimization without cheese I'll suggest as such.

Pious Templar 1 gives Mettle which is awesome (it also gives +2 Fort & Will). You can probably put it on the left side and not lose anything.
Champion of gagagsg 8 gives nothing lets try and swap that out: Contemplative is always good but it isn't particularly fitting. I'd say Church Inquisitor but you already have all the good stuff from that. Sacred Exocist gives you turn undead. Divine Mind (+Psy Casting & + Divine Casting PrC) might be good I forget where its from. I think +1 Psychic Warrior Casting for 1/- DR is worth it.
I assume a Cleric 1 dip is too distasteful.
If you drop those 2 Levels of Adjustment (which you probably will as stated above) you could replace them with something that give bonuses to skill points. Even Rogue 1 or something might not be the worst thing. Or maybe Bard 1. Cloister Cleric 1 is also a good decision.

Private
2012-03-20, 07:01 AM
If you wanted, and I know it's a long way off from your original build, but you could keep your first half, but make your second half a Druid / Master of Many Forms / Warforged Juggernaut. With this build you can make all damage non lethal, except fire (by Wildshaping into a War Troll) and then be immune to non-lethal from Warforged Juggernaut. That would take care of all your "Tanking" needs, then your other side can make up on the damage front. (Though a War Troll using maneuvers is probably going to be just fine in the damage department).

Axier
2012-03-20, 07:15 AM
There is a feat that adds your heavy armor to your touch AC while you are psionically focused which is kinda handy, Deflective Armor (Races of The Stone).

Im also a big fan of Ardent dips for the mantals, and at lest 4 levels of knight if you are using a shield. Shield Ward can also increase your touch AC by applying it to your shield.

I had a build that had a flat rate AC, and if you get good magic items, you can easily get that up to 44 by 10th level. Combine that with a ring of evasion, and that Diamond Mind manuver that replaces a reflex save for a concentration check, you are very hard to hit.

The problem with my tank builds is that they do little damage in combat, and pretty much are designed to just get in the way.