PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 Master poisonmaker

Soranar
2012-03-19, 11:35 PM
I was playing around with the idea or a poison making/using character for a while and I just discovered a few things that can make it rather hilarious.

1rst, you need an INT based class with lots of skillpoints so ...

Race: Tinker Gnome (+2 INT and +2 to all craft checks, best crafter race possible )
Alignment: any but poison use is mostly evil
Class: Wizard (prevents some mad by being INT based)
age: venerable if you really want to milk out every last drop in INT possible (note that this probably entails taking the necropolitan template to manage the horrid CON)

Take the domain granted power option by dropping your level 1 bonus feat

take the artifice domain (+4 to all craft checks)

2 flaws

Level 1 : Hidden talent (psionic minor creation), psicrystal affinity (artist for another +3 to craft), skill focus (another +3 to craft)

Total check: 24 = 4 (base rank)+ 4 (domain) +3 (psicrystal) + 3 (focus) + 2 (race) + 6 (INT bonus) +2 (masterwork tools)

psionic minor creation makes you all the raw material you need..

Use the lauch object cantrip to catapult poisonous contact grenades, smear all your companion's weapons with poison, the sky is the limit.

you even get 2 scouts to locate enemies (psicrystal and familiar)

By level 3 you can also make yourself an item familiar and pump your skills even more but I doubt that's necessary at this point.

Is there any other option I forgot?

Garwain
2012-03-20, 05:08 AM
You could take 1 lvl of Marshal instead or Wizard and take the Motivate Intelligence as minor aura that gives you your CHA to INT checks.

The artifice domain and the masterwork tools give both a competence bonus, so they don't stack.

I'm not familiar with the domain granted power option for wizard. How do you get access to the domain power?

Don't forget to craft antidotes.... :smallbiggrin:

mattie_p
2012-03-20, 05:50 AM
I'm not familiar with the domain granted power option for wizard. How do you get access to the domain power?

It is an ACF from complete champion p52. Swap your four bonus feats at 5,10,15,20 for a domain granted power. Complete cheese, as most of the times this pops up it is a wiz dip so you don't actually lose those feats.

Andion Isurand
2012-03-20, 06:07 AM
I would consider using an Arcane Gnome (Dragon 291) so you don't have to deal with the whole Life Quest nonsense. Just remember they were written for the 3.0 gnome, so I wouldn't grant them the +1 bonus to their illusion spell DCs on top of having +2 Int.

Varil
2012-03-20, 07:19 AM
It is an ACF from complete champion p52. Swap your four bonus feats at 5,10,15,20 for a domain granted power. Complete cheese, as most of the times this pops up it is a wiz dip so you don't actually lose those feats.

That's not cheese, that's just cheating. That ACF is taken on a 'per level' basis, namely at 5, 10, 15, or 20. A wizard 4 doesn't even have access to it.

mattie_p
2012-03-20, 08:26 AM
That's not cheese, that's just cheating. That ACF is taken on a 'per level' basis, namely at 5, 10, 15, or 20. A wizard 4 doesn't even have access to it.

Why so it is, I've never paid much attention to it as I've never used it, but totally correct. I assumed it was a buy now, pay later arrangement.

the_archduke
2012-03-20, 11:51 AM
How about Shaper instead? You don't have to waste a feat on hidden talent, and you can take the psicrystal as your bonus feat

Total check: 24 = 4 (base rank)+3 (artiste psicrystal) + 3 (focus) + 2 (race) + 6 (INT bonus) +2 (masterwork tools)+ Apprentice:Craftsman feat (+2 competence on all craft skills)+ hidden talent: Precognition (+2 insight)

How were you getting a 22 INT at level one? Ah, I see venerable, I'll adjust mine

Can you take 10 on craft skills?

hydraa
2012-03-20, 03:57 PM
I did some work on something very similar previously

There are a couple of traits you can take
+1 -> Specialized (trait)
+1 -> Illiterate (trait)

Creating a optimized lv1 expert crafter (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223005)

Soranar
2012-03-21, 01:03 PM
I looked to be sure, masterwork tools confer a circumstance bonus, and it's clearly stated that they stack so, even if artifice domain is another circumstance bonus (my source didn't state the type of bonus it conferred), it would still work.

I forgot to look at traits, that would be worth the trouble for another +2.

The domain granted power thing was an honest mistake, my source only stated you gave up a bonus feat for it (I assumed I could give up the level 1 bonus feat but you can only do it at level 5,10,15 or 20, as stated above).

Since the point was to make a level 1 character with the highest possible poisonmaking (thus the lack of an item familiar to make things even crazier), I guess there's no other way to go about it than to play a cleric.

But, considering the cost in feats and such, I guess the more adequate starting class would be an erudite (Int based, no need for hidden power, psicrystal affinity for free).