PDA

View Full Version : Druid without animal companion

Egoria
2012-03-20, 02:58 AM
I was looking through the alternate class feature list, but didn't find what i was lookiing for. Perhaps i just missed it, hence this post

I'm playing a druid in an upcomming campaign, and i already made the character, except the companion.
I really don't want one for several reasons. mostly being that i don't want to play two characters, a little less powerfull and to allow the others to shine even more in combat.

So, is there any worthwhile ACF that i can use, or should i just "forget" about that particular class feature :)

Circle of Life
2012-03-20, 03:57 AM
The Shapeshift variant from PHB2 sounds like exactly what you want. It singlehandedly tones the Druid down to sane levels (well, saner, anyway), but allows you to remain a fullcaster that can turn into animals and rip faces off. It feels like shooting yourself in the foot at first, but if you're intentionally looking to reduce your power...*shrug*

Krazzman
2012-03-20, 04:50 AM
I think in Unearthed Arcana you can trade your animal companion for a nature themed domain (Earth, Fire, Water, Air...).

Else take the shapeshifting variant. You might no longer be able to cast while in animal form but you have unlimited shapeshifting!

Rejusu
2012-03-20, 06:37 AM
I was looking through the alternate class feature list, but didn't find what i was lookiing for. Perhaps i just missed it, hence this post

I'm playing a druid in an upcomming campaign, and i already made the character, except the companion.
I really don't want one for several reasons. mostly being that i don't want to play two characters, a little less powerfull and to allow the others to shine even more in combat.

So, is there any worthwhile ACF that i can use, or should i just "forget" about that particular class feature :)

If you're starting from first level, take the companion. If you're starting from level 5 or later then you can do without it. You'll find yourself horrendously bored though if you try to level 1 to 5 without a companion.

Torben Raibeart
2012-03-20, 06:46 AM
How about Druidic Avenger from UA? Looses Animal Companion, takes a penalty to wild empathy, can't spontaneously convert spells, but get fast movement and rage.

Circle of Life
2012-03-20, 06:48 AM
If you're starting from first level, take the companion. If you're starting from level 5 or later then you can do without it. You'll find yourself horrendously bored though if you try to level 1 to 5 without a companion.

Unless you decide to shapeshift from level 1, which conveniently nerfs the Druid down to acceptable levels at the same time. :smallwink:

Leon
2012-03-20, 06:53 AM
Shapeshift - should be the standard ability of Druids

Drudic Avenger is also a good one (mixed with the Hunter Variant its even better)