PDA

View Full Version : Fey Help

Eonir
2012-03-20, 11:31 AM
So I am about to start up a bard, level 3. I really want him to be Fey related in a way. He is a sailor from a small town, and his great-grandmother or something could have very easily been a siren or something. Anyways, he already took Nymph's Kiss from BoED (he is NG), but is there any other feats/templates that could make him more fey-like? My google-fu failed me in this endeavor.

Piggy Knowles
2012-03-20, 11:38 AM
Fey Heritage, from Complete Mage, says that you are descended from Fey. On its own, it is a somewhat underwhelming feat, but it's a pre-requisite for a bunch of others, including Fey Power (caster level and DC booster for enchantment spells), Fey Skin (gain damage reduction like a fey), Fey Presence (learn some SLAs, including Charm Monster), and Fey Legacy (more SLAs, including Dimension Door and Summon Nature's Ally V).

FearlessGnome
2012-03-20, 11:39 AM
Make him a creature with the Fey type. Fey-touched is a +1LA template race that makes him related to a Fey, Half-Fey makes him the progeny of a Fey and a [Whatever his base race is] for +2LA, and Unseelie Fey makes him a Fey for +0LA. Be warned, though, that the Unseelie template is only supposed to go on Evil Aligned people, and it's quite good, so it may be frowned upon if you ask for it, even if the Alignment is waved (You being Exalted and all...)

The template offers a choice of abilities, one of which is... better than the others. Do note that the things that say you can roll for also says "or choose one".

Jasdoif
2012-03-20, 11:45 AM
Well, if you're not sold on race, there's the Feytouched in Fiend Folio. They're pretty much like you said, supposedly have a half-fey and a humanoid or giant as ancestors. They're also immune to mind-affecting effects, have a bonus to their Dex and Cha (and a penalty to Con) and some other stuff. They do have a level adjustment of +1 though.

There are also the fey heritage feats in Complete Mage, and the fey bloodlines here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#fey) (overview of how bloodlines work is at the top of the page).

...Half-Fey makes him the progeny of a Fey and a [Whatever his base race is] for +2LA...Could you tell me where this is from? The only half-fey template I'm aware of is in Fiend Folio, and it has a +4LA. Nevermind...just realized I've been reading the entry wrong all this time.... :smallsigh:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-20, 11:45 AM
There's the Unseelie Fey template in Dragon Compendium, it's technically +0 LA but probably shouldn't be. You would have to include some sort of redemption in your backstory.

You could gradually get the Half-Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) template, from Fiend Folio. It's actually quite good, especially if you use a base creature that can get the feat Magic in the Blood from PGtF.

The Killoren race in Races of the Wild are already fey, with no level adjustment. There's some race specific feats in that same book for them to expand what their aspects do.

Particle_Man
2012-03-20, 11:47 AM
Oh, if you take something that actually makes you fey, then you don't qualify for the fey heritage feats.

How fey do you want to be?

Pilo
2012-03-20, 11:50 AM
Frostburn give you the Uldra (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040911a) for +1 LA and nothing very usefull for a bard.

Harry
2012-03-20, 11:56 AM
Duskling is a 0 LA race from magic of incarnum or you could use the half fey savage progression for a level:smallsmile:

DropsonExistanc
2012-03-20, 12:04 PM
For the sake of completeness, there's also a few templates of note in Dragon #313, half-satyr and half-nymph, both at +2.

I used the half-nymph in a mid-level Swordsage/PlShp gestalt build, and she was quite fun to characterize, especially with her Gramps there in the party :smallwink:

Eonir
2012-03-20, 12:08 PM
Wow thanks for all the tips.

I would like to keep LA as low as possible, and I am sold on being a human.

And I don't necessarily want him to be very fey, just a touch of it.

I do like the Heritage feats though...

Jasdoif
2012-03-20, 12:20 PM
And I don't necessarily want him to be very fey, just a touch of it.Just a touch, huh....Well, you could certainly describe your character as having fey-like characteristics without having game effects from them. That should be easier than looking for specific feats etc. that do what you want, assuming of course you're not interested in their mechanical benefits.

Eonir
2012-03-20, 12:28 PM
I am kinda fond of Fey Power however...spell focus (enchantment) but better. I think I am going to go the Heritage route.

Thanks guys and gals!