PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern: The Animated Series II (Lantern Boogaloo?)

The Bushranger
2012-03-20, 01:29 PM
Previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222386)

So, now that the series is airing regularly, time for a new thread. What are y'all's thoughts on the series? I went in a little apprehensive based on the "Heroic CGI" animation style, but it grew on me in a hurry. It doesn't try to be realistic - that's part of the charm.

As for the plotting, so far, so good. I do agree that the Sinestro Corps would have been a better antagonist group than the Red Lanterns, but I can understand why it was done - GL:TAS being planned at the same time as the movie with a "good" Sinestro = possible confusion. However, there are some hints (now that the movie bombed) that things might change...

WonderCon trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLyFFkJGX4k).

*It seems yellow energy-field-generating crystals that nullify Green Lantern powers are playing a somewhat major role - we saw them in the most recent episode, and the fourth/last clip from the trailer there shows them again. One wonders how long it'll be before somebody ponders them as ring material...

*...and in the first clip in the trailer, we have more comics-like Red Lanterns. No banter, nothing but grunts and roars and ATTACKATTACKATTACK. One has to wonder if perhaps following Razer's defection Atrocitus just might decide to dial back the IQ points of his Lanterns...

*Looks like they're bringing all of the Skittles Corps into play. Red and tantalising hints of future yellow already, and the trailer shows Star Sapphires (Star Sapphire Carol Ferris = yum!) and Saint Walker. Blackest Night as the climax maybe??

*Thanagarians! Surrounded by yellow crystals. Hmmm. Potential future Weaponers of Qward?

I think that between GL:TAS, Young Justice, and Legend of Korra, we just might be seeing the Saturday Morning Cartoon having a renaissance... :smallbiggrin:

Soras Teva Gee
2012-03-20, 01:55 PM
I've been watching it her and there mostly to ensure I didn't miss SBFF (totally should be its own shown) but while I like a lot of what they have there conceptually and have been a reasonably big fan of the Geoff Johns take on Skittles... this show hasn't quite hooked me yet.

A little too much action and not quite enough character thus far. Maybe. I find myself looking up at and just not quite caring what was going or remembering what I really saw. Maybe its because the Red Lanterns are my least favorite Corps and I've little interest in them when Rage Cat isn't on screen. Or that I nailed the heroic red guy as "Anakin" in like five seconds rightly or wrongly

However if that preivew holds for the what's coming I may change my mind. Certainly on paper they have all the right things present to make a GL series both faithful to the best of the comics and good all around show. Now give me an Adam Strange episode!