PDA

View Full Version : doctor who?

nihil8r
2012-03-21, 01:41 AM
so, my friends really like the doctor who show. i've been avoiding it for quite some time but i finally decided to watch the first episode tonight. and quite frankly, i was horrified.

maybe it was just bad because it was the first episode, but . . . mannequins come to life and start shooting people from their wrists? the bad guy is done in with "anti-plastic"? what?

i know that a lot of people enjoy this show and perhaps it gets better. i certainly don't see how it can get any worse. so should i keep watching it, or just kill myself so i don't have to tell my friends their favorite show is retarded? :smalleek:

[and i know there is a doctor who thread, i didn't want to read a spoilers thread]

Xondoure
2012-03-21, 01:49 AM
It gets much much better. However, there is still quite a lot of narmy sci fi and the special effects have not aged well.

Suggestion: start from season 5 (it is a soft reboot, the show works like that) And go from there, if you enjoy it go back and do seasons 1-4 as there are some absolute gems in the mix.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-21, 01:52 AM
Nope it can get worse. "Fear Her" and "Love and Monsters" are both definitely worse.

Xondoure
2012-03-21, 02:10 AM
Nope it can get worse. "Fear Her" and "Love and Monsters" are both definitely worse.

Whereas "The Empty Child" "The Doctor Dances" "The Impossible Planet" "The Satan Pit" "Human Nature" "Family of Blood" and "Blink" are all incredible pieces of television. And that is just to name a few.

Sunken Valley
2012-03-21, 02:52 AM
so, my friends really like the doctor who show. i've been avoiding it for quite some time but i finally decided to watch the first episode tonight. and quite frankly, i was horrified.

maybe it was just bad because it was the first episode, but . . . mannequins come to life and start shooting people from their wrists? the bad guy is done in with "anti-plastic"? what?

i know that a lot of people enjoy this show and perhaps it gets better. i certainly don't see how it can get any worse. so should i keep watching it, or just kill myself so i don't have to tell my friends their favorite show is retarded? :smalleek:

[and i know there is a doctor who thread, i didn't want to read a spoilers thread]

That episode was a homage to an episode of Doctor Who from the 70s. Plus it is pretty scary the idea that plastic can come to life.

Dr. Simon
2012-03-21, 03:59 AM
Always thought that the autons were a strange choice to start the reboot with, as although they are technically "classic" monsters, they're hardly the most recognisable.

However, generally the central premise of any Doctor Who story is pretty stupid if you analyse it too much. The fun lies in the interplay on the way (much like Buffy before it got really gloomy). Also, listen to Xonduore; there are some episodes which are really good piece of TV in any money.

Dienekes
2012-03-21, 05:26 AM
If you can't handle living plastic and anti-plastic, then Dr Who is probably not for you. It's about the softest sci-fi imaginable, and revels in that fact. It's a show where aliens are giant salt and pepper shakers that shout "Exterminate", lizard people who live at Earth's core, and the outcomes are often: Doctor does something ridiculous and waves it away with big sciency sounding words, or the power of narm.

That said, the characters are fun and interesting, and the show sets up engaging little stories that tend to fall apart if you know a thing about science. Now I love the show because I don't really care that they play fast and loose with the laws of physics. I just want to be entertained, and the show does that.

dehro
2012-03-21, 05:48 AM
keep in mind the age bracket of the target audience...it has depth beyond that, but the plot items are still aiming to make little boys hide behind the sofa (which may be out of fashion and unrealistic nowadays, but is still a noble achievement to strife for :smallbiggrin:)

TheZenMaster
2012-03-21, 06:20 AM
Doctor does something ridiculous and waves it away with big sciency sounding words, or the power of narm.

Which is what turned me away from the show eventually.:smallsigh:

Kato
2012-03-21, 07:15 AM
[....]It's a show where aliens are giant salt and pepper shakers that shout "Exterminate", lizard people who live at Earth's core[...]

Dude, spoilers! :smalltongue:

But yah, what many people said... you need a special taste and a great suspension of disbelief to really enjoy Who. But if you have it, it will give you some of the best moment of your life.

Brother Oni
2012-03-21, 07:20 AM
It's a show where aliens are giant salt and pepper shakers that shout "Exterminate", lizard people who live at Earth's core, and the outcomes are often: Doctor does something ridiculous and waves it away with big sciency sounding words, or the power of narm.

Except some of the episodes where the Doctor doesn't save the day are the most dramatic and emotional in the entire series.

In addition, the salt and pepper shakers bring out the worst in the Doctor - you only have to take a look at Nine's almost rabid rant the first time you see them in the reboot.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-03-21, 08:48 AM
Except some of the episodes where the Doctor doesn't save the day are the most dramatic and emotional in the entire series.

In addition, the salt and pepper shakers bring out the worst in the Doctor - you only have to take a look at Nine's almost rabid rant the first time you see them in the reboot.

Well you can't really blame him considering everything. Time lords are pretty darn allergic to the things.

Anyway OP, I agree that the choice of villain/monster in the first episode isn't the best since they come off as pretty stupid if you don't know anything about Doctor Who (and they do even if I know your Who, it's just easier to appreciate them as classics...) and the first season in general has some cheap looking effects. It does get much better though and there are some really good episodes in there, and once you get to season 2 the effects do look much better (bigger budget then. :p). But if you want a serious sci-fi Doctor Who is not for you. It's more of a silly adventure show made to make you laugh or cry or sometimes hide behind the couch (and there are some episodes that will trigger that urge even in adults...) but it does expect you to accept that the laws of physics can be broken when they need to be broken. Actually this quote sums up the show pretty well. "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." If you're not okay with it, well you might still enjoy the occasional, more serious episode but you'll probably not like it on the whole.

Still you can always try to jump forward to season 5 and go from there it has a pretty different feel from there and it might be more to your taste.

Ecalsneerg
2012-03-21, 10:25 AM
Dude, spoilers! :smalltongue:

Yes. From 42 years ago. There's a statute of limitations on this stuff!

truemane
2012-03-21, 10:30 AM
Yes. From 42 years ago. There's a statute of limitations on this stuff!

Actually, yeah, but then I think, after a certain age, the statue goes back up. I wouldn't have a problem openly discussing the Spoilers in Sixth Sense or Fight Club, but might be a little shy in discussing Psycho in any real detail. Or even the Crying Game.

Tiki Snakes
2012-03-21, 10:37 AM
It's okay not to like Doctor Who. It really isn't a big deal.

Mindartis
2012-03-21, 11:35 AM
I would start off with Season 2, personally. David Tennet is an amazing Doctor, and a lot of people loved him. Like others have said, the special effects are rather cheesy at times, but there are really good moments in it. I would give it another go, as it only gets better. The characters are lovable, and you rather get connected to them, and there are several fantastic episodes, as mentioned above.

Weezer
2012-03-21, 12:29 PM
I would start off with Season 2, personally. David Tennet is an amazing Doctor, and a lot of people loved him. Like others have said, the special effects are rather cheesy at times, but there are really good moments in it. I would give it another go, as it only gets better. The characters are lovable, and you rather get connected to them, and there are several fantastic episodes, as mentioned above.

The problem with that is you are thrown into the middle of plots involving Rose/Mickey/her Mom that you won't understand if you didn't watch the first season. I think starting with the beginning of the 5th season is the way to go, as mentioned above it's a 'soft' reboot so it's easy to jump into and demonstrates the jump in production value, writing quality and supporting actor ability in the later seasons.

Dienekes
2012-03-21, 04:03 PM

Hey I love the show. One of my favorites currently going, so no need to try and sell me that those lizards and shakers are great. However the OP's main points of contention seemed to be 1) the scenario is ridiculous, and 2) the resolution was illogical/failed science. He didn't mention if he liked the characters, or the if he got caught up in mystery aspects of the episode. Well, off the wall situations and terrible science is Dr Who. The show bleeds them. It also bleeds excellent writing, memorable characterization, and fun.

And if he thought the show could not get any worse from that point, well then he probably shouldn't go on, because personally I thought that episode was about par. I greatly enjoyed it, hell, I think it's quite possibly the best episode of Rose (not the best episode to feature her, but she was at her best). But I may be biased because I do not like Rose.

Siosilvar
2012-03-21, 04:18 PM
Hey I love the show. One of my favorites currently going, so no need to try and sell me that those lizards and shakers are great. However the OP's main points of contention seemed to be 1) the scenario is ridiculous, and 2) the resolution was illogical/failed science. He didn't mention if he liked the characters, or the if he got caught up in mystery aspects of the episode. Well, off the wall situations and terrible science is Dr Who. The show bleeds them. It also bleeds excellent writing, memorable characterization, and fun.

Basically this. The whole point of the show is to be cheesy soft science fiction with a dashing hero (though the drama gets quite intense at times). If you don't like the ridiculous picaresque stuff, try repeating the MST3k mantra: "it's just a show, I really should relax."

If that doesn't work, you're free not to watch it. But a lot of it isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's actually quite refreshing not to be overanalysing a show for once.

Xondoure
2012-03-21, 04:31 PM
I for one was ready to turn it off after the first episode, having no idea what the show was about other than a glowing review from a friend, yet persisted because I was bored and now find great enjoyment in it.

In fact, going back that episode is a lot better than I remember it, but it is a terrible introduction to the series and fails to speak of the shows true quality unless you're already familiar with that quality.

Das Platyvark
2012-03-21, 04:59 PM
When I first started in, at episode 1, ssn 1, of the reboot, it didn't take me long to come to this conclusion: Everything that happens on this show will be completely absurd. Once you've taken that as a given, you can start taking all the weird stuff in stride, and it becomes much more enjoyable.

Eldan
2012-03-21, 05:14 PM
Give the second episope a chance. It much more highlights what the show is about.

Which is that an immortal alien who behaves and looks remarkably like an English gentleman travels through time and space in a blue phone box to go sightseeing at some of the most ridiculous places ever invented by TV writers. And battle aliens on the way.

Reverent-One
2012-03-21, 05:27 PM
I'd only suggest starting with season 5 if you're in a time crunch to catch up in order to watch the newest episodes. This isn't just because I find season 5 to be the weakest season as a whole, but on principle that "Blink" should be watched before "Time of the Angels"/"Flesh and Stone" and "Dalek" should be watched before any Dalek centered epsiode.

Other than that, I agree with the prevailing opinion of the thread, that the not-so-serious tone of Doctor Who is just something you like or not.

qbit
2012-03-22, 12:46 PM
When I got someone into Doctor Who recently. I did by telling them to check out the first 2 episodes of season 5. And if she liked it she could go start at season 1 of new Who. And it worked well enough, last I heard she was halfway trough season 3

Because those 2 episodes are just really good in my opinion.
You got the doctor shining in 11th hour, and his companion in the second.
I could have told her to check out the bridging mini-sode between e1 and e2 but I forgot.

So if you want to give it an other chance I suggest you try this.
Watch 11th hour then the mini-sode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaOPe4emP9Y) and then beast below. If you still don't like it Then Doctor who is just not for you.

Dobbette
2012-03-23, 06:10 AM
I would recommend (http://drakensang-online.browsergames.co.uk/)starting with I think it is season 2. David Tennant was a great (http://forge-of-empires.browsergames.co.uk/) Doctor and I liked Billie Piper as his kind of sidekick.

nihil8r
2012-03-23, 08:20 AM
thanks for the super replies, everyone! i watched the second episode and it was better, still not great, but better. :smallsmile: i think i'll try to watch season 5 then go back to season 1?

Kato
2012-03-23, 08:32 AM
thanks for the super replies, everyone! i watched the second episode and it was better, still not great, but better. :smallsmile: i think i'll try to watch season 5 then go back to season 1?

Yeah... but be prepared the general tone is cheesy, that's how it is. Also, if you're considering, I'd advise against watching season 2 first. It just doesn't work well without the first. Watching season 5 without Blink and/or Forest of the Dead is still a bit difficult, I guess... You CAN do it but watching in order is jjust the best way to do it.

qbit
2012-03-23, 02:47 PM
You're right, which is why I suggested he only watched the first 2 of season 5. and then go back to where he was. If he enjoyed them.

Because while they aren't the absolute top episodes, they are definitely top half. And because it's a soft reboot you get explained some things about the universe.

nihil8r
2012-03-24, 02:06 PM
hurray!

i watched the first 3 eps of season 5. the first two were fine, the third was a letdown. i always thought daleks were hilarious so i had high hopes for the episode, but by the time airplanes were flying through space after only a few minutes of "upgrades" . . . :smallsigh: anyway i didn't want to watch the angels episode without seeing the first one, so i went back to season 1. the ghost episode was great! the farting alien invasion monsters were fine. not great but entertaining enough. and then dalek episode was great! :smallsmile: so i guess the show is actually fine, it's just that the first episode was so atrocious it sent me running to the forum in shock.

i mean, it's not like other shows don't have A+ episodes as well as F- episodes (i'm thinking of st:tng in particular here)

VeliciaL
2012-03-24, 02:34 PM
i mean, it's not like other shows don't have A+ episodes as well as F- episodes (i'm thinking of st:tng in particular here)

Apt comparison, especially when you remember TNG started with "Encounter at Farpoint," and that season 1 had some of the worst stinkers of the series. :P It's the kind of thing you just muscle through.

Just wait until you get to Who's series 1 finale ;) That's a treat.

Eldan
2012-03-25, 04:35 PM
Ah, TnG. I never made it past the first half or so of season 1.

Rhydeble
2012-03-26, 03:09 PM
hurray!

i watched the first 3 eps of season 5. the first two were fine, the third was a letdown. i always thought daleks were hilarious so i had high hopes for the episode, but by the time airplanes were flying through space after only a few minutes of "upgrades" . . . :smallsigh: anyway i didn't want to watch the angels episode without seeing the first one, so i went back to season 1. the ghost episode was great! the farting alien invasion monsters were fine. not great but entertaining enough. and then dalek episode was great! :smallsmile: so i guess the show is actually fine, it's just that the first episode was so atrocious it sent me running to the forum in shock.

I hope i'm not too late for this, but, don't watch "The Empty Child" and
"The Doctor Dances" late at night in a dark room with no-one around. seriously, DON'T

Brother Oni
2012-03-26, 06:25 PM
"The Doctor Dances" late at night in a dark room with no-one around. seriously, DON'T

While good, I think Flesh and Stone is far more terrifying, especially the bit where the lights fail and they have to keep the angels illuminated with muzzle flashes from their weapons.

That said, if you don't mind branching into Torchwood, Small Worlds and Countrycide from season one come very close as well.

nihil8r
2012-03-26, 06:49 PM

i watched them just last night with 2 friends! fortunately no bad dreams :smallbiggrin: are you my mummy?

Androgeus
2012-03-26, 07:09 PM
Some people have problems Night Terrors due to living dolls.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-03-26, 07:58 PM
hurray!

The first episode is indeed odd, especially for a series reboot. Personally, though, I like Eccleston's version of The Doctor the best out of all of them, especially how he's able to act in all of these absurd situations as a man who's actually threatened by these wacko critters. Just consider the scene where he's being "choked" by the mannequin hand. That's mad crazy acting skill right there.

Oh, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances is possibly my favorite two-parter in the whole series, though maybe that's partially nostalgia filter. It definitely ranks up there.

But yeah. I'm glad that you're going through from Season 1 now, actually. I think it makes the rest of the series much more rewarding, watching in that order. Plus, there's always the fact that some episodes must be watched before others, in my opinion. For instance, I wouldn't think of suggesting Flesh and Stone/Time of the Angels be watched before Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead for...reasons. Spoilers!

Weezer
2012-03-26, 11:29 PM
The first episode is indeed odd, especially for a series reboot. Personally, though, I like Eccleston's version of The Doctor the best out of all of them, especially how he's able to act in all of these absurd situations as a man who's actually threatened by these wacko critters. Just consider the scene where he's being "choked" by the mannequin hand. That's mad crazy acting skill right there.

Oh, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances is possibly my favorite two-parter in the whole series, though maybe that's partially nostalgia filter. It definitely ranks up there.

But yeah. I'm glad that you're going through from Season 1 now, actually. I think it makes the rest of the series much more rewarding, watching in that order. Plus, there's always the fact that some episodes must be watched before others, in my opinion. For instance, I wouldn't think of suggesting Flesh and Stone/Time of the Angels be watched before Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead for...reasons. Spoilers!

He's not quite my favorite (11 is my favorite new-Who Doctor and Tom Baker my favorite old-Who Doctor), but a close 3rd. The way his eyes light up, that big goofy grin spreads across his face as he shouts "Fantastic" is just perfect for the Doctor. Also I think that the 1st season finale was the best, after that they just seemed to get away from the writers.

Rhydeble
2012-03-27, 02:34 AM
He's not quite my favorite (11 is my favorite new-Who Doctor and Tennant my favorite old-Who Doctor), but a close 3rd. The way his eyes light up, that big goofy grin spreads across his face as he shouts "Fantastic" is just perfect for the Doctor. Also I think that the 1st season finale was the best, after that they just seemed to get away from the writers.

Just how do you classify the doctors? old doctor who = 10 and down, new doctor is the current one? Then wouldn't your favorite new doctor be the newest by definition? the rest being old?

Dr. Simon
2012-03-27, 05:13 AM
Just how do you classify the doctors? old doctor who = 10 and down, new doctor is the current one? Then wouldn't your favorite new doctor be the newest by definition? the rest being old?

"Old" Doctors being from the original run of the series (1963-1987), thus One to Seven (and Eight sort of falling somewhere in between, but generally with this lot).

"New" Doctors being from the series reboot in 2004, thus Nine to Eleven so far.

Also delineated into Classic- and Nu- Who.

Rhydeble
2012-03-27, 05:17 AM
Yeah I know, but I'm pretty sure that Tennant wasn't in Classic Who.

Brother Oni
2012-03-27, 06:32 AM

Unless you count that Comic Relief Fifth/Tenth mini crossover. :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Simon
2012-03-27, 06:56 AM

Oh, yeah, I see the line in Weezer's post that you're referring to.

In which case, pass!

Weezer
2012-03-27, 11:10 AM

Oops, that's an embarrasing typo, meant to put Tom Baker, fixing that now...

Androgeus
2012-03-27, 03:06 PM
Unless you count that Comic Relief Fifth/Tenth mini crossover. :smallbiggrin:

Pretty sure that makes Davison a new doctor rather than Tennet a classic. :smalltongue:

Oops, that's an embarrasing typo, meant to put Tom Baker, fixing that now...

That's a rather large typo. Could understand maybe putting Collin instead of tom but that would have just raised larger question.

Weezer
2012-03-27, 05:13 PM
That's a rather large typo. Could understand maybe putting Collin instead of tom but that would have just raised larger question.

I blame it on the fact that I'd just rewatched the Parting of the Ways, so Tennant was on my mind.

Balain
2012-03-27, 07:20 PM
If you thought that was bad you should go back to the days of William Hartnell Or Tom Baker LOL

Androgeus
2012-03-27, 07:29 PM
If you thought that was bad you should go back to the days of William Hartnell Or Tom Baker LOL

Different times, different audiences. It's unfair to judge them by today's standards. Also the Tom Baker episodes I've seen were good.