PDA

View Full Version : Pre-painted minis

Thurbane
2012-03-21, 04:28 AM
Hey all - I'm familiar with the D&D plastic pre-painted minis (I've got a ton), and to a lesser degree, the Reaper pre-painted plastic minis.

Are there other pre-painted minis available in a similar scale? I'm always looking to expand the miniature collection we use for our 3.5 D&D game.

Cheers - T

Pink
2012-03-21, 10:13 AM
Paizo has started to release sets of Pathfinder pre-painted plastic figs, I ordered a case of the first set and have been very satisfied. There are a few kinks to work out for future sets, but for me the best thing about them is that commons are some of the most impressive figs (the goblins are awesome.)

Main complaint, the heads/faces of human figs are kinda poorly sculpted and painted. Some painting errors here and there and there is some scaling issues with fig sizes (trolls look too small, ettins and dire rats look too big), but fairly minor stuff for the impressiveness of the set.

dsmiles
2012-03-21, 11:36 AM
Yeah, that's about it, unless you want to get into HeroClix/HorrorClix or Monsterpocalypse. But I've seen some Star Wars pre-painted plastics somewhere.

Malimar
2012-03-21, 10:04 PM
I've had some success with Mage Knight and Dreamblade minis, which have the added benefit of being much cheaper than D&D minis, last I checked. They're slightly different scale and for best results you'll need to rebase them (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/06/adventures-in-rebasing-2-payoff.html), but they've worked pretty well for me.

Strormer
2012-03-21, 10:48 PM
I've actually been looking into just this. The PF ones look like the most viable option at the moment, though I wish there were some way to get a bulk box of commons at a reasonable price.

Incidentally, I've got some heroclix and mageknight that I use, but they're really too big for a dnd grid. Makes movement and space a pain.

Ivellius
2012-03-22, 12:19 AM
Heroscape is also pretty close to the same size and even saw a number of D&D figures rereleased for it late in its life. The non-D&D bases are a bit too large for standard square grids, however, and it's out of print, so you won't find much for very cheap. I think Wave 1 stuff is getting clearanced out still (you can get some blue, almost Persian-equipped orcs and Romans in that set).

dsmiles
2012-03-22, 07:51 AM
Incidentally, I've got some heroclix and mageknight that I use, but they're really too big for a dnd grid. Makes movement and space a pain.I actually use almost exclusively Malifaux and WarmaHordes minis for DnD now. Even my old Confrontation, Dark Heaven, Pathfinder, and Warlord minis are migrating onto 30mm/40mm/50mm bases.(We just switched to a 30mm grid instead of a 1" grid.) Even still, the MageKnight bases are even bigger than either of those.

Ivellius
2012-03-23, 02:22 PM
As an update, a lot of D&D Heroscape figures are available pretty cheaply--you should be able to get a case (that's 4 packs of figures with anywhere from 4-7 figures per pack) of any of the D&D sets for under $30.

pres_man
2012-03-25, 11:32 PM
WizKids has put out a lot of different sets for their lines. Many heroclix can work for fantasy characters as well. They have even put out a set of Lord of the Ring clix. The Pathfinder miniatures are actually put out by WizKids as well (on license from Paizo).

Thurbane
2012-03-26, 01:37 AM
Thanks all for your replies. I discovered a couple of others while searching the web and Amazon.

Elfersera (http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Eflsera_Fantasy_Characters.html)

Claustrophobia Board Game (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia) (which apparently includes 17 pre painted minis that look great at glance, and a further 4 in the expansion)

Cadwallon Board Game (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69120/cadwallon-city-of-thieves) (20 minis, also a couple of stand alone minis sold seperately, I believe)

...although I'm not 100% sure on the scale and quality of all of these.