PDA

View Full Version : Skeleton Homebrew Help!

DefKab
2012-03-21, 09:49 AM
In the campaign world I'm developing, Skeletons aren't undead. (I just don't see necromancy animating useless bones, that's more of a transmutation thing... Therefore, those kind of skeletons are simple animated objects.) However, a race of Skeletons exist (backstory complicated). They are your classic DnD (actually more Diablo) skeletons, except for the fact that they are a living, soulful people. With intelligence.

So, I'm trying to homebrew a series of Skeletal races. Think Genasi, with several different flavors of skeletons to try out. I know the base 'Bone White' skeleton is +2 Con, +2 Dex or +2 Wis...
I have a 'Burning' red version that has a firey racial power, and an 'Ashen' black version that has fire immunity... But everything else gives me blanks...

So, can anyone help me out? Suggest exciting different ways to racialize a skeleton?

Musco
2012-03-21, 11:16 AM
You could probably refluff a lot of existing genasi or similar races, but in a pinch, yellow-boned skeletons that have electricity crackling through them comes to mind (not sure why, maybe too much Castlevania...), and also a race that "reforms" once destroyed (if not all of them do that, otherwise, one that "reforms faster"). You could probably have a race of "deformed" bones, jagged and splintered, with benefits of having natural weapons, and maybe even one that can "detach" an arm or something, making weapons out of those.

DefKab
2012-03-21, 11:28 AM
Refluffing races would be shameful, since I have no time constraint to make these racial options, and since most of the races still exist...

All of the other suggests are great! Deformed skeletons really fit the flavor of the race, and I like the idea of breaking down, like a shardmind's racial power.

Reikenbach
2012-03-21, 11:49 AM
Greenborn (Alternately: Groverisen, Groveborn, Grovegraves, etc.)
+4 Con / +25% Fire Vulnerability, +25% Cold Vulnerability
Skeletons whose remains lay among nature for years before returning to life. The incorporation of living flora among their bones gives them a special connection to the natural world. Additionally, the network of vines, moss and other plant matter makes them heartier, but makes them more vulnerable to fire and cold.
Favored Class: Druid

Hollowbones
+4 Dex, -2 Con, -1 Natural Armor / -50% weight
Risen from those creatures whose skeletons are on the outside, rather than the inside. Their hollow bodies make them lighter and more nimble than regular skeletons, but their reduced density makes them more fragile, too.
Favored Class: Rogue

Skellingtons:
+2 Cha, -2 Wis / Good-aligned Only
A race of well-meaning yet foolhardy skeletons who nevertheless possess a great deal of charm.
Favored Class: Bard

Tegu8788
2012-03-21, 12:31 PM
This is a 4e thread, and if that was intentional, then those stats won't quite work, but they give a good starting point.

If you want psionic skeletons, have a couple with multiple heads. Mass graves caused by big battles don't keep corpses separated, and if whatever causes the skeletons in your game uses actual corpses, it also opens up having skeletons that are composite, possibly including bear arms.

Having a partially decomposed skeleton covered in maggots with poison attacks could be fun, and given that the worms would be constantly multiplying, some regen would not be out of the question.

Or just have one with a beehive in it's ribcage. Being able to summon a swarm from it's chest could be fun. I can imagine the RP potential of having a thousand tiny organisms living inside you that defend you, but you also have to protect.

Hopefully some of those ideas help.