PDA

View Full Version : cleric1 for walker in the wastes?

Drazik
2012-03-21, 03:05 PM
i have seen many arguments over if you can enter the prestige class walker in the wastes (sandstorm 89) with cleric1 or not. some combination of southern spellcaster, versitile spell caster and precocious apprentice.

to be clear i don't want to start up a huge argument, i just want someone to explain to me how it supposedly works.

thanks in advance

Jeff the Green
2012-03-21, 03:31 PM
Versatile Spellcaster lets you use two spell slots to cast a spell you know one level higher, so potentially you could cast a level 2 spell at level 1. The feat requires that you be able to spontaneously cast spells. It's debatable whether clerics even qualify for the feat, but I think RAW they can. It's even more debatable whether they could cast a level 2 spell at level 1. Beguilers/Dread Necromancers/Warmages can because they know their entire spell list. Wizards and sorcerers can't because they don't learn any spells above what they can normally cast. Clerics and Druids are complicated, because nowhere does it say that they "know" spells.

I would suggest that, therefore, they can't benefit from Versatile Spellcaster at all.

Precocious apprentice requires an arcane caster level, so clerics can't take it. Southern Magician changes a spell from arcane to divine or vice versa, but doesn't give a cleric an arcane caster level, so it doesn't help (it could let a wizard qualify for WitW, though).

Drazik
2012-03-21, 03:41 PM
ooooh ok thanks :smallsmile:

Jeff the Green
2012-03-21, 03:50 PM
I think you could make an argument for a Wizard qualifying, though.

With Arcane Disciple (Sand), Precocious Apprentice (desiccate), and Southern Magician, you can cast waste strider, parching touch, and desiccate as divine spells. Just need to be a Mulan human, have Int 15+ max out Knowledge (religion) and Spellcraft, and take a single flaw.

Drazik
2012-03-21, 04:02 PM
cool, thanks! this is great :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2012-03-21, 09:52 PM
I think you could make an argument for a Wizard qualifying, though.

With Arcane Disciple (Sand), Precocious Apprentice (desiccate), and Southern Magician, you can cast waste strider, parching touch, and desiccate as divine spells. Just need to be a Mulan human, have Int 15+ max out Knowledge (religion) and Spellcraft, and take a single flaw.

Definitely most excellent >:D

This could work with Sorc as well, yes? All that Cha to HP (know the Dry Lich ritual) sounds yummy.

maxrz
2012-03-21, 11:43 PM
You would need to take two flaws, to meet the Heat Endurance part of the WitW req's but yes, I see no reason Wizards and Sorcerers can't take it starting at level 2.

You would need:
-Int (or Cha) 15+ (Precocious Apprentice)
-4 ranks in Spellcraft and Knowledge (Religion) (Arcane Disciple)
-Mulan Human from Races of Faerun (Southern Magician)
-2 flaws (to take the above three feats as well as Heat Endurance to qualify for the WitW prestige class)
-12+ Wis (For Arcane Disciple to work on 2nd level and below spells)
-And a helluva nice DM

:)

IdleMuse
2012-03-22, 06:31 AM
If you do have a particularly nice GM, you could save a feat by using UA's Desert template as well, by replacing the Heat Endurance trait with the Heat Endurance feat. This is, however, in no way RAW.

Jeff the Green
2012-03-22, 09:12 AM
Actually, I messed up. You can't get both Heat Endurance and Southern Magician as a level one wizard if you follow the Southern Magician fluff prereqs. Heat Endurance requires a base fortitude save of +2 (which wizards don't get until level 6), so the only way to get it is by being an Asherati or Bhuka. But then you're not a Mulan Human, and don't qualify for Southern Magician.

So you could do it in gestalt (by taking something with a good fortitude save on the other side at level 1) but not normally.

IdleMuse
2012-03-22, 09:44 AM
You could do it with Duskblade if you could start with 5 feats, since you need an extra copy of Arcane Disciple to qualify. Not that having full Duskblde spell progression is something you're really after.

EDIT: If you can take a third flaw or something to get that extra feat, you also work it with a Wizard via Scablands Half-Orc, by taking Human Heritage from Races of Destiny to qualify for Southern Magician, since Scablands Half-Orcs get Heat Endurance. Still outside RAW though, unless another free feat can be found.

EDIT2: Faustian Pacts from FC2 seem to allow this.

Jeff the Green
2012-03-24, 09:41 AM
Oh! Oh! I just thought of something.

Human Generic Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm).

You get to choose any one save to be your highest. Choose Fortitude.

You get to choose whether you're arcane or divine, and your casting stat. Choose arcane, with Charisma-based casting.

You choose spells from Wizard, Druid, and cleric lists.

So, take Heat Endurance, Precocious Apprentice, and Southern Magician at 1st level. Since the Generic Spellcaster gets a bonus feat, you don't even need flaws.

For spells, choose Waste Strider (from Druid, level 1), Parching Touch (from Wizard, level 1), and Desiccate (from all three, level 2).

Voila! You qualify to take Walker in the Waste at second level.