PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a "secret ally" helpful, but not a save everytime thing?

Pika...
2012-03-21, 03:29 PM
Hi,

Basically, one of my players in my new game on Sundays loves cats. One of my favorite characters of all times was/is an epic level Psion awakened Cat. So, player in session ones saves a kitten. I had planned for my Psion Cat to make a cameo appearance drunk at a bar with some of the groups old PCs. Hence, kitten now becomes Epic Psion Cats kitten.

I used it already once when I feared a TPC with Eradicate Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/eradicateInvisibility.htm) (a level three Psion power).

The party is currently level two. The kitten must be at least level five to use that power.

Advice? Ideas?

Many Pikas in advance!

jseah
2012-03-21, 03:43 PM
The kitten asks for fish and plays cutely with a ball of yarn.

Make weird but helpful stuff appear (helpful from the point of view of a cat) for no reason, but only when the kitty is around. Don't draw attention to the kitty's presence however.

That ought to give players a hint that some non-human intelligence has taken an interest in them.

Pika...
2012-03-21, 04:11 PM
Sounds like fun ideas jseah. :D

By the way, to my surprise they adopted a retarded (aka mentally ill) wolf I threw in as a joke (the module said there were "defective" monsters in that dungeon level). Aside from the drooling and bumping into boulders/walls jokes I am not sure what I can do with this. It is not psionic or special in any way, well special in that way...

Pika...
2012-03-23, 08:33 AM
Any more suggestions?

panaikhan
2012-03-23, 08:51 AM
The kitty could point out things.
Like desperately wanting to go through a door (that would enhance/progress the story if the PC's are floundering), and, once the door is open - walk away, the way cats sometimes do.

Keneth
2012-03-23, 10:10 AM
sometimes
Right... sometimes...

Pika...
2012-03-25, 03:18 PM
Right... sometimes...

Hehe.

But they are so cute/fun. I love the idea of a Kitty NPC. :3

Flickerdart
2012-03-25, 03:57 PM
Make the kitty an Ardent 2 with a custom mantle that has Eradicate Invisibility. Use Practiced Manifester to kick its ML up to its total HD (which would include the 2 HD from awakening, plus the 1 HD it started with). It can manifest Eradicate Invisibility, but has so few PP that it can't really do much else.

panaikhan
2012-03-30, 07:34 AM
The 'wolf' could be useful too, if they decide to keep it around.
It could growl at things it thought 'wrong' - which could just be a stone it didn't like, or an illusionary wall...