PDA

View Full Version : Standard Action Summons?

GernifTheBard
2012-03-21, 04:48 PM
How could an Archivist cast Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally as a standard action? Rapid Spell+Metamagic School Focus is only 3 times per day, so I'm looking for something more dependable. Any feats, items, etc that can do this? :smallfrown:

Darrin
2012-03-21, 07:28 PM
How could an Archivist cast Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally as a standard action? Rapid Spell+Metamagic School Focus is only 3 times per day, so I'm looking for something more dependable. Any feats, items, etc that can do this? :smallfrown:

Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage p. 136). Expensive, but it's actually dried tree sap, thus 100% vegetable matter and eligible for Hidden Talent: psionic minor creation or Djinn/major creation shenanigans.

gomipile
2012-03-21, 07:35 PM
Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage p. 136). Expensive, but it's actually dried tree sap, thus 100% vegetable matter and eligible for Hidden Talent: psionic minor creation or Djinn/major creation shenanigans.

Unfortunately, "Attempting to use any created object as a material component causes the spell to fail."

Rabble
2012-03-21, 09:56 PM
You could always use residual magic to get a few extra free uses of Rapid Spell. If I'm not mistaken you'll be able to quicken a few this way as soon as you start regularly casting quickened spells.

Particle_Man
2012-03-21, 10:04 PM
The Shadow Conjuration spell line?

[Edit: Oh wait, they don't get access to Sor/Wiz spells, do they?]

Elric VIII
2012-03-21, 10:10 PM
There's a ring somewhere in Savage Species (I think) that increases the level of your SNA by 1, but only up to the max level you can cast (i.e. a 5th level archivist can cast SNAIII, the ring makes his SNAII into SNAIII and his SNAI into SNAII). With this ring on you essentially get a +1 free MM to your SNA spells. So you can cast the all with Rapid Spell.

Darrin
2012-03-22, 05:28 AM
There's a ring somewhere in Savage Species (I think) that increases the level of your SNA by 1, but only up to the max level you can cast (i.e. a 5th level archivist can cast SNAIII, the ring makes his SNAII into SNAIII and his SNAI into SNAII). With this ring on you essentially get a +1 free MM to your SNA spells. So you can cast the all with Rapid Spell.

Ring of the Beast: 8000 GP, Complete Champion p. 141.

Unfortunately, "Attempting to use any created object as a material component causes the spell to fail."

Ack! Sorry... uh... well, create a bunch of black lotus poison (1800 GP per vial), then sell that to buy some golden desert honey.

Thurbane
2012-03-22, 06:56 AM
Would a 1 level dip in Conjurer using the Rapid Summoning ACF work? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say the ability is restricted to your Conjurer spells (though it won't work with SNA). You could combine it with the simple Wizard option to swap Scribe Scroll for a Fighter bonus feat (like Improved Initiative or Improved Toughness), since you'll have Scribe Scroll from Archivist.

Or dip into a PrC that gives Turn Undead, then use Divine Metamagic and use turn attempts (Nightsticks?) to fuel Rapid Spell.

mattie_p
2012-03-22, 07:11 AM
Would a 1 level dip in Conjurer using the Rapid Summoning ACF work? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say the ability is restricted to your Conjurer spells (though it won't work with SNA).

Correct, it doesn't say that, but it also doesn't say that you are allowed to do so. Considering you have to give up your familiar (a wizard class feature) to gain this ability, I'd guess it only works with your wizard class's summon spells.

Tr011
2012-03-22, 07:12 AM
You do not want to summon faster than a full-round action. If you summon a creature as a standard action i.e. the creature can only take a standard action instead of a full round action, so it can't Full-Attack (or charge for +2 attack if it has only one attack).

Raendyn
2012-03-22, 07:41 AM
You do not want to summon faster than a full-round action. If you summon a creature as a standard action i.e. the creature can only take a standard action instead of a full round action, so it can't Full-Attack (or charge for +2 attack if it has only one attack).

This applies only to the wizard ACF, not the rapid metamagic.

nedz
2012-03-22, 08:13 AM

Yes, perhaps, except for those situations, which 3/day probably covers.

those situations include, but are not limited to: The summoned creature has to spend a move to close, you need to summon a critter AND get out of dodge, etc.

Rejusu
2012-03-22, 08:25 AM

Misconception. You can still charge even if you can only take a standard action or move action on your turn.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

You can't normally charge with only one action unless you're restricted to one action, so it should apply in this situation. What's more is you could summon something with pounce, meaning it could charge and then full-attack too.

Answerer
2012-03-22, 08:49 AM
Also, nothing about the summoning rules suggest that the creature's actions are in any way tied to the action you spent summoning it. That's a houserule you're using, I guess?

Also, the Wizard ACF absolutely works on all spells. It's just debatable if it's worth the spellcasting level to get it, particularly since you should be trying to get into Malconvoker as a summoner.

Metamagic Rods of Rapid Spell are probably the cheapest way to do it as a non-wizard.

stack
2012-03-22, 10:42 AM
I knwo this is 3.5, but in Pathfinder there is a feat to allow you to summon creatures that match your alignment as a standard action. Limiting, but potentially useful if your DM allows it.

Sacred Summons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-summons)

GernifTheBard
2012-03-22, 07:51 PM
Would a 1 level dip in Conjurer using the Rapid Summoning ACF work? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say the ability is restricted to your Conjurer spells (though it won't work with SNA). You could combine it with the simple Wizard option to swap Scribe Scroll for a Fighter bonus feat (like Improved Initiative or Improved Toughness), since you'll have Scribe Scroll from Archivist.
This may be what I will have to do, but as Answerer pointed out, I'll also be losing another caster level when I prestige Malconvoker (although Illumian could help mitigate this CL loss). I guess another option is to simply go Wizard for the Malconvoker entry, but I want to try an Archivist Summoner for the variety of summoning spells.

The main reason I want to summon as a standard action is to avoid the Concentration check if I'm attacked while casting, and have the mobility to also take a move action during the round. Also, source of this rule?