PDA

View Full Version : Feats for an Awakened Riding Dog?

Coidzor
2012-03-21, 05:45 PM
So I figure two of them will be Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike, just so he has more than 1 natural weapon. Probably Power Attack as well at some point, as he's getting his BAB set artificially higher than his animal HD would afford him, though given his nature, I don't think there's any way to get him 2:1 power attack returns without getting a mouthpick weapon. Or can bite attacks do that if they're the only natural weapon? :smallconfused:

I'm not quite certain if I want it to go Exalted and take VoP though, for various reasons. I'm actually thinking I don't, unless it looks like wealth is going to be sparse...

I'm thinking Martial Study, but I'm not sure what would be a good maneuver for someone with 6 non-initiator HD that is using either unarmed strike or a bite natural weapon.

Or is there a soulmeld that would be relevant in an ECL 7-8 party that would provide a form of attack or boost his natural weapons?

Elric VIII
2012-03-21, 06:32 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Dread Carapace + Bonus Essentia can get him up to -3/+6 PA with a bite.

EDIT: You may also want to have him start taking levels in Totemist. In addition to being pretty flavorful on a Druid's (former AC?) cohort, cohorts have special exp rules. Basically, he gains exp = [your exp]*[his ECL]/[your ECL] for each encounter.

Coidzor
2012-03-21, 10:49 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Dread Carapace + Bonus Essentia can get him up to -3/+6 PA with a bite.

EDIT: You may also want to have him start taking levels in Totemist. In addition to being pretty flavorful on a Druid's (former AC?) cohort, cohorts have special exp rules. Basically, he gains exp = [your exp]*[his ECL]/[your ECL] for each encounter.

Hmm, that's a nifty find. I always forget about that one. Actually I have horrible retention of Incarnum as it stands. Hopefully finally getting to make use of it will help make it stick in my mind better.

Planning on taking some Totemist before too long, but it's still going to be a while, and I'm getting to do a rebuild of the animal as it stands as soon as it gets awakened, to represent its newfound sapience, so it's not going to have time to have any levels.

The specifics: my DM is letting me apply Urban Companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) benefits to my Ranger/MOMF's wild cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) instead of having him be a wild cohort and animal companion at once. So he's got a bunch of HD and my character's BAB and sapience, or at least will have it before too long during play.

So I'm probably going to take MOMF until the 3rd level and then detour into Totemist 2 and grabbing the share soulmeld feat before going back into MOMF or going Warshaper/Nature's Warrior for a bit.

So... Any thoughts about a good maneuver or 2 to learn with martial study with an IL of 3?

Elric VIII
2012-03-21, 11:12 PM
So, I guess that means that the animal won't be taking class levels (although it's still a cool image).

Well, Flashing Sun [lvl 2] is an excellent maneuver. It's like FoB, although it needs one other DW maneuver (Burning Blade [lvl 1] or Wind Stride [lvl 1] are nice).

Foehammer [2] is your classic swiss army chainsaw and it has no prerequisites. Vanguard Strike [1] can add +4 to all of your attacks if he hits; great if you're stacking natural attacks.

Emerald Razor is good, but lacking Concentration means that the level 1 DM maneuver prerequisites won't be too useful.

Steel Wind [1] can git you 2 attacks (1 each against 2 foes, +1 for Snap Kick). Wall of Blades [2] helps your companion to be less squishy.

If your companion ends up with high Dex, Counter Charge [1] and Clever Positioning [2] can help you set up AoOs.

Cloak of Deception [2] or Shadow Jaunt [2] are great for positioning and avoiding AoOs, no prerequisites on either.

Mountain Hammer [2] is the same as Foehammer. No prerequisites.

Claw at the Moon [2] is kind of cool, but meh. Sudden Leap [1] is great, but you would need to take Wolf Fang Strike [1] first (not bad with IUS + Nat Attack).

Leading the Attack [1] is another that gives allies a +4 bonus to hit.

That should be all of the disciplines in alphabetical order. depending on how the HD are achieved (from both sources at once vs one at a time) you might be able to get multiple feats at IL 3.

deuxhero
2012-03-21, 11:42 PM
Wild Talent and Up the Walls.

By RAW, you can keep walking on the ceiling with no penalty, thus you can chase down ceiling cats.

Coidzor
2012-03-22, 12:17 AM
Wild Talent and Up the Walls.

By RAW, you can keep walking on the ceiling with no penalty, thus you can chase down ceiling cats.

Alright, that made me laugh. :smallamused:

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-22, 12:34 AM
Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) could get you a cheap blinkdog.:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2012-03-22, 12:43 AM
Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) could get you a cheap blinkdog.:smalltongue:

*snrk, snrk, snrk*

So, right now his role in the party has been primarily to be a flanker for myself and the other melee fighters, especially as we have 3 characters who are primary melee types in addition to myself, which has lead me to being more of a flanker character myself, after the early levels when he was primarily a mount and our tank at 1st level.

Figured I should clarify that. Might suggest something, I suppose.