PDA

View Full Version : Help on Spells for Jade Pheonix Mage

Roguenewb
2012-03-21, 06:19 PM
I was planning on building a character with Beguiller 4/Swordsage 2/JPM 8/Swiftblade 6. The problem I was running into was that I can't seem to find anything on the class list that can benefit from the +3 CL of Firebird stance on Fire spells. In addition, I seemed unable to find anything to take advantage of Empowering Strike. The option I have so far gone with is Precocious Apprentice (Scorching Ray) cheese, but I'm not really happy with that.... Does anyone have a solution for me? Thanks!

Need_A_Life
2012-03-21, 06:23 PM
Beguiler would make that problematic...
Arcane Disciple (Fire) or something like that could probably make up for that, though.

Roguenewb
2012-03-21, 06:51 PM
Thats getting closer. Thanks for the advice! But a lot of those spells don't really get a huge boost from CL or empower. Is there anyway to get like fireball or scorching ray without cheating?

Talionis
2012-03-22, 01:12 PM
I'm away from my books, but you might be able to add spells and then change their energy type to Fire for the bonus.

Talya
2012-03-22, 01:17 PM
Anything that adds domains adds spells to a spontaneous caster's spell list. For a sorcerer, this is problematic, as they still need to blow spells known to select the spells from their spell list.

Beguilers, Warmages, and Dread Necromancers know their entire spell list, so this is not really an issue.

Alternately, use Ecclectic Learning insteaad of Advanced Learning. But that would require a few more beguiler levels (7 to get that second Advanced Learning.)

Snowbluff
2012-03-22, 01:57 PM
Thats getting closer. Thanks for the advice! But a lot of those spells don't really get a huge boost from CL or empower. Is there anyway to get like fireball or scorching ray without cheating?

Extra Spell gives you another spell known that doesn't have to be from your list (assuming you don't play with errata).

Talionis
2012-03-25, 10:50 AM
I think Fiendblooded Prestige class from Heroes of Horror can add spells with the fire descriptor.

Answerer
2012-03-25, 11:23 AM
Extra Spell gives you another spell known that doesn't have to be from your list (assuming you don't play with errata).
Errata doesn't change Extra Spell; that was an FAQ entry. Which, as we all know, is not RAW.