PDA

View Full Version : Gaze Attacks

Tvtyrant
2012-03-21, 08:28 PM
How do they work? Does the user turn it on with a standard action or a full round action? It says "an attack action" but I am not sure what that means.

SirFredgar
2012-03-21, 08:49 PM
Welllllllll...... I may not be entirely accurate, as I am afb, but I do beleive that if stated as an attack action, you could perform it at any time you could an attack. I think trip/grapple work like this as well, meaning with a full attack you could make the attack on each iterative.

Though, tbo, I haven't dealt with Gaze attacks in any recent game, and being able to make one on each iterative seems a little on the overpowered side.

Perhaps you could frame the context of the question? Is there a specific gaze attack you have in mind? If so, perhaps it's entry could clear up the confusion?

Aegis013
2012-03-21, 08:50 PM
The Gauth entry (under Beholder, MM1 pg 26) says it can use its stunning gaze with a standard action. I would guess that the specifics will be under the monster, or whatever is granting the gaze attack. Otherwise, I would assume it defaults to standard, but I may be wrong.

HunterOfJello
2012-03-21, 08:51 PM
"an attack action" is often the wording in 3e for a "Standard Action" in 3.5 At other time an "attack" can be part of a standard action attack or part of a full-attack action. I noticed that the MM3 and likely other sources are a bit unclear about this so I checked the Rules Compendium.

The Rules Compendium describes Passive and Active Gaze Attacks:

Passive = "Each creature within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw ... each round at the beginning of its turn."

and

Active = "A gazing creature can actively use its gaze as a standard action."

The difference between passive and active gaze attacks is as follows:
1. Creatures within range all must roll a save against the gaze attack of the gazing creature at the beginning of their turns.
2. Creatures with gaze attacks may also be able to use their gaze attack as an action so they can also do a Standard Action against a specific opponent on their turn. This will force that opponent to make a save vs. the gaze attack both on the enemies turn and on the beginning of their turn.

Creatures with gaze attacks can be quite deadly and become even more fun once feats from Savage Species are added in.

SirFredgar
2012-03-21, 09:01 PM
"an attack action" is often the wording in 3e for a "Standard Action" in 3.5

Active = "A gazing creature can actively use its gaze as a standard action."

I'm glad I popped into this thread, clears up a lot. Thanks.

Tvtyrant
2012-03-21, 09:35 PM
Alrighty, I now have active and passive gaze rules. Thanks all!