PDA

View Full Version : Things for my Assassin to do with his Warlock dip.

Snowbluff
2012-03-21, 11:07 PM
So I was looking for good/cheap ways of earning Hide in Plain Site when I cam across this threadhttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352.

My Build is looking like something8/IaijutsuMaster5/somethingelse

So I have some questions.

1) Past Darkness, are there any invocations for buffing my Hide, like Beguiling Influence?

2) Are there any good PrCs a Rogue/Warlock can enter?

3) Does DFA learn Darkness?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-22, 12:56 AM
Get a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, you'll get Hide in Plain Sight plus tons of other benefits.

You could go (Psychic (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)) Rogue 1/ Warlock 3/ Spellthief 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10, applying AT spellcasting to Warlock. You'll need either the Spell Hand feat (CA) or use Whisper Gnome (RoS) to meet the Mage Hand prerequisite of Arcane Trickster. That gets 10d6 sneak attack in 20 levels, with 13th level Warlock invocations/EB and 5th level Assassin casting at a caster level of 19 with Master Spellthief.

Your BAB will be irredeemably low, but luckily EB is a touch attack. You should use Flyby Attack with EB to make sneak attacks, and use (UMD) a Wand of Camouflage and a Dorje of Chameleon to offset the Hide penalty for sniping. Definitely get Darkstalker (LoM), and remember that Ability Focus (MM) for Eldritch Blast will add +2 DC to every Eldritch Essence you apply to it (confirmed by the FAQ).

Snowbluff
2012-03-22, 10:16 AM
Get a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, you'll get Hide in Plain Sight plus tons of other benefits.

I was actually looking at the Dark Template and my biggest concern is that, although it is Ex, I can't do it in Daylight. Though, this should work, the best it can do is give those sweet Hide bonus. The good news is, with my Darkness Su, I can conceal my self by canceling a Daylight spell with it.

Can I counterspell a Daylight with a Darkness by casting as Immediate? :smallconfused:

You could go (Psychic (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)) Rogue 1/ Warlock 3/ Spellthief 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10, applying AT spellcasting to Warlock. You'll need either the Spell Hand feat (CA) or use Whisper Gnome (RoS) to meet the Mage Hand prerequisite of Arcane Trickster. That gets 10d6 sneak attack in 20 levels, with 13th level Warlock invocations/EB and 5th level Assassin casting at a caster level of 19 with Master Spellthief.

Your BAB will be irredeemably low, but luckily EB is a touch attack. You should use Flyby Attack with EB to make sneak attacks, and use (UMD) a Wand of Camouflage and a Dorje of Chameleon to offset the Hide penalty for sniping. Definitely get Darkstalker (LoM), and remember that Ability Focus (MM) for Eldritch Blast will add +2 DC to every Eldritch Essence you apply to it (confirmed by the FAQ).

This is an Iaijutsu build; it's a sunk cost taking anything other than Gnome. :smallwink: Although I lose some Cha, the Capabilty outweights the Capacity here, IMO. Plus, +8 hide is just plain sweet.

My Warlock DCs should be pretty high, as my Cha will be maxed to give a bonus to Iaijutsu Focus and IM's Strike from the Void. Using IM will Bump my BaB, but the 5 levels are irreplaceable.

Duke of URL
2012-03-22, 12:34 PM
Well, no, your Warlock DCs won't be high because if you're dipping, they're going to be based on (at best) 12 + Cha. A really good Cha will make them respectable, but not high.

There are several least invocations that can benefit an Assassin build, depending on your theme and flavor. Some of the best options are: see the unseen (one of the best least invocations, period), entropic warding (if you're going ranged... a 20% miss chance is nothing to sneeze at), spiderwalk (load of fun for a sneak), beguiling influence (another awesome invocation), and dark one's own luck (if you need a save boost). None of the options from Complete Mage work well, but eldritch glaive from Dragon Magic is nice for melee work -- who cares about BAB when you're making touch attacks? And the low base damage is offset by sneak attack, I would assume.