PDA

View Full Version : NPC building

archon_huskie
2012-03-22, 01:31 PM
I need to create an NPC for my game. Normally not a problem, but this is a child. So I am not sure what class to give him or what level he should be (Level 0? Level 1?)

Up until last session I was content to go with, his skills are in whatever is most likely to give the players' characters a headache at that moment.

He's a child halfling known for causing trouble. Game is using core classes, no variants. He's still young enough that he's tiny not small, hyperactive, short attention span. He'd be the halfling equivalent of 9 years old.

What do you think, an NPC class or a PC class?

pffh
2012-03-22, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't give him any class. It's a child and children tend to not know enough to qualify for a class. Sure they might have a skill point or two but that's about it.

If you want stats for it I'd just give it some minor attributes, hp = con modifier (minimum 1), half the movement speed of an adult and skillpoints equal to it's int modifier (minimum 1) but really I would leave it unstatted.

archon_huskie
2012-03-22, 01:48 PM
My thoughts at first too, but this NPC is the foil for an adventure. the boy ran into a dungeon to play. Players ran after him to drag him back out.

(think of it as seeing a 5 year old running around a construction site. You tell the kid to stop playing on the equipment. He runs around screaming can't catch me.)

The boy is likely going to set off a trap eventually, or a player may try casting suggestion on him to get him to behave. I'll need to have reflex, will, or fortitude saves then. What would the base be for a kid? should I use a 20 point buy (PCs got a 32 point buy)

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-22, 01:49 PM
Look at the Humanoid Hit Dice. Look at the Commoner class.

Give them the least of those two options (ie, where they intersect).