PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnate Question [3.5e]

Hiro
2012-03-22, 02:16 PM
Could this spell theoretically reincarnate your char into an age-equivalent dragon? with DM's permission. You'd retain any of youer class abilities you just change your racial mods and all.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-22, 02:20 PM
Anything can happen with DMs permission. As it is, I would probably limit it to similar creatures. In other words, it can never change your type beyond 'humanoid'. But I would let a character research reincarnate spells with different lists of humanoid creatures, as well as a Last Breath version too.

Note that if you use Last Breath rather than Reincarnate, you can essentially repeatedly savescum your way into any of the listed creatures you want. Also, with access to that, you are basically immortal.

Vulaas
In theory, and with the DM's permission you could reincarnate into the Tarrasque.

On a more serious note, I would strongly recommend against any DM allowing that, but instead choosing some Fey or Monstrous Humanoid for it.

The Mentalist
With DM permission yes, however with DM permission you could be turned into a Great Wyrm dragon hero-deity.

Through the power of the supreme being all things are possible.

Edit: Swordsage'd

Hiro
2012-03-22, 02:24 PM
Well I mean with a reasonable amount of change. But monstrous humanoid or fey sounds reasonable. (since in teh spell you are brought back as a "young adult" of the species.)

Well what would you think might eb a cool thing to be reincarnated into?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-22, 02:27 PM
Once, I had a warblade who was brought back as a troglodyte.

Fun times.

My DM eventually had to rule that continual exposure rendered one immune to that specific troglodyte's stench - our psion kept failing his saves.

Hiro
2012-03-22, 02:35 PM
*bursts out laughing*

Wow dude...really? That's pretty funny. poor psion...

And I can't get my mind around the warblade class.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-22, 04:00 PM
And I can't get my mind around the warblade class.

What? It's so simple! You get this many maneuvers from these disciplines at these levels, and you can ready this amount with five minutes of free time, and you can recover the ones you have readied this way.

Hiro
2012-03-22, 04:30 PM
I see... *tilts head* I think

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-22, 04:56 PM
It's pretty much limited spellcasting, except that you can recover all your maneuver at any time, depending on class.

Malimar
2012-03-22, 05:08 PM
reincarnate your char into an age-equivalent dragon?
Possible, if by "age-equivalent" you mean "Young Adult":

The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit

For my game, I drew up an elaborate set of reincarnate tables, where you're overwhelmingly likely to get a creature of your Type, but a result that calls for you to roll on a table for a different Type is possible (though unlikely). So in my game, getting reincarnated into some high-powered creature like a dragon is possible but very unlikely. If you're, say, a Dragonwrought Kobold, it's very likely.

But, on the flip side, if your character gets reincarnated into a creature too much more powerful than the rest of the party, he is liable to go off on his own and become an NPC (or maybe get a solo adventure, a la Darth Vaarsuvius).

dsmiles
2012-03-22, 05:28 PM
I reincarnated someone into a badger, once. That was one bad-ass badger.

Particle_Man
2012-03-22, 05:32 PM
I have a character that reincarnated as a Treant. Good for meelee combat, bad for teleportation transport. :)

Hiro
2012-03-23, 12:16 PM
Well I'd like to make a char that is reincarnated as a dragon of the young adult rank but I can't figure out how to play it off.

I admit I'm kind of being influenced by the awesomeness that is BoF3 :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-23, 12:23 PM
I had a character who was reincarnated as a Troglodyte.
A purple troglodyte no less because of a cursed magic item.
Sadly, they had to leave the party.
Being Reincarnated as a Young Adult dragon would be pretty awesome.
Definitely would want to be one with Alternate form though.

Hiro
2012-03-23, 12:25 PM
Basically one of the metallic dragons. :3

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-23, 01:06 PM
Basically one of the metallic dragons. :3

Only silver and gold.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-23, 01:11 PM
Only silver and gold.
Bronze dragons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm) get it as well.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-23, 02:37 PM
For what it counts, you forgot about Mercury and Steel dragons (both released online by WotC).

Mercury: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040103a
Steel: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a

Ravens_cry
2012-03-23, 03:57 PM
Well, Mercury don't get it until Adult, so it won't be right away if you are being Reincarnated, if ever if the campaign is fairly short from an in-universe perspective, and strictly speaking a Steel Dragon gets Polymorph, not Alternate Form.
Though the latter is really just being nit picky.:smalltongue:

Hiro
2012-03-24, 02:27 PM
I wonder if you could house rule that one or two chromatic dragons couuld get it too? *exchanging one of their abilities for it basically*

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-24, 02:43 PM
I wonder if you could house rule that one or two chromatic dragons couuld get it too? *exchanging one of their abilities for it basically*

Well, all of this requires DM approval, you can't even use the argument of "it's fully legal!". So you might as well just be asking to play a dragon. Unless you're DM gives you a very small chance (like one or two percent), then you have to die and Reincarnate again, and again, and spend thousands of gold, all for a tiny chance of being a dragon of indeterminate category. IF your DM lets you.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-24, 02:44 PM
If you want to be a Dragon, Reincarnate isn't the spell you use.

Polymorph Any Object is the spell you use.

Hiro
2012-03-25, 01:41 PM
Well I'm doing this for myself really. But the DM I had before was ridiculously nice about what we could have. He gave a 5% chance for it after an explanation and an agreement (the campaign was already high level anyway so he didn't see the harm in it)

Ravens_cry
2012-03-25, 02:06 PM
Cast Maximised (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#maximizeSpell) Reincarnate?
"All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized"
100 is the maximum result.

Chess435
2012-03-25, 02:35 PM

:confused::eek::tongue::biggrin: Wow. Just wow.

dsmiles
2012-03-25, 02:55 PM
100 is the maximum result.All that nets you is DM's Choice. Badger, it is, then! :smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-25, 03:02 PM
All that nets you is DM's Choice. Badger, it is, then! :smallwink:
True, but if your DM will hypothetically let you become a Dragon on a DM's Choice, surely you got better DM wrangling skills than that.

Hiro
2012-03-25, 03:08 PM
Nooo Not The Badger! T____t

Jack_Simth
2012-03-25, 03:31 PM
Nooo Not The Badger! T____t
Badgers (http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/) for everyone!

The real question, then, is what happens when you both Maximize and Empower the spell, and get a result that goes off the table (empower can, theoretically, do that on it's own, mind, but using both gives you about a 99% chance of a 101+ result)?

Absol197
2012-03-25, 03:33 PM
For my game, I drew up an elaborate set of reincarnate tables, where you're overwhelmingly likely to get a creature of your Type, but a result that calls for you to roll on a table for a different Type is possible (though unlikely). So in my game, getting reincarnated into some high-powered creature like a dragon is possible but very unlikely. If you're, say, a Dragonwrought Kobold, it's very likely.

But, on the flip side, if your character gets reincarnated into a creature too much more powerful than the rest of the party, he is liable to go off on his own and become an NPC (or maybe get a solo adventure, a la Darth Vaarsuvius).

I would very much like to see these tables. Would you mind sharing?

BShammie
2012-03-25, 04:36 PM
Badgers (http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/) for everyone!
That was awesome!
You're now my favorite person.

The tables sound interesting and I'd like to see them too, if you don't mind.

Malimar
2012-03-25, 05:23 PM

The tables sound interesting and I'd like to see them too, if you don't mind.

I do not mind (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/06/custom-reincarnate-tables-2-all-of-them.html)!

They're a little bit inelegant, there are some awkwardly hacky bits, and it requires a fair amount of judgement on the part of the DM, but I figure it's good enough for government work. (If anybody elects to refine these tables, I'd certainly be interested to see what you do with them.)

Hiro
2012-04-02, 12:47 PM
Interesting setup for that Malimar. I could use them XD

Malimar
2012-04-02, 04:14 PM
I realized recently that the source I made them with drew only from MM1-4, Fiend Folio, and three of the It's Weather Outside books.

So, over the last few days, I've been inputting the most relevant information about all the monsters from all the sources I allow in my games (most of the official 3.5e sources and some 3.0e ones) into a new database. Because I am insane and apparently do data entry for fun.

Once that's done, I'll probably put together a more complete set of tables.