PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted 2E, Artifact]Final Rays of Light

tonberrian
2012-03-22, 04:02 PM
Artifact 4 - Final Rays of Light

Named for the last thing foes will see after facing the wielder down, these twin prayer pieces have a penchant for being used in decisive battles. Since the Usurpation, several histories have noted these weapons and their distinctive sunburst fire and glowing contrails, but they have never been found after the battles have been completed, their wielder either disarmed of them during the conflict or missing entirely.

These prayer pieces were designed to be wielded simultaneously, and thus attuned wielders never suffer an off-hand penalty to attack rolls with these weapons so long as he has readied both of them. Like normal Prayer Pieces, these weapons require spending a mote of Essence to function and deal aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness as a Holy effect. However, if the wielder possesses an Overdrive pool, he may power the weapons with offensive motes instead of regular motes. If he does so, should the attack successfully deal any damage to its intended target, the weapons refund the spent offensive mote in a surge of Essence.

An attuned wielder may also dedicate the battle to the Unconquered Sun with a prayer, making a (Charisma + Performance) roll at difficulty 5 as a (5, -1) miscellaneous action. Doing so allows these Prayer Pieces to function without ammunition for a scene. Sacrificing a Creature of Darkness (by, say, killing him with one of these weapons) will reduce the Difficulty of this roll by (its Essence), to a minimum of 1, and by spending a point of temporary Willpower while killing a Creature of Darkness in this manner, the Solar may treat that attack roll as the prayer for dedicating the battle to the Unconquered Sun. The destruction of the enemies of Creation is the most sublime prayer the Unconquered Sun could receive.

Speed 5, Accuracy +2, Damage 10L/2*, Rate 2 (each), Range 50, Ammo 5, Tags: O, Attune 6 (each)

*10A/2 vs. Creatures of Darkness

vegetalss4
2012-03-22, 08:43 PM
Artifact 4 - Final Rays of Light
Artifact 4 for both or artifact 4 for one of them?

Named for the last thing foes will see after facing the wielder down, these twin prayer pieces have a penchant for being used in decisive battles. Since the Usurpation, several histories have noted these weapons and their distinctive sunburst fire and glowing contrails, but they have never been found after the battles have been completed, their wielder either disarmed of them during the conflict or missing entirely.

Yay, fluff! fluff is fluffy.

These prayer pieces were designed to be wielded simultaneously, and thus attuned wielders never suffer an off-hand penalty to attack rolls with these weapons so long as he has readied both of them.
The language could probably be cleaned up a bit here.
The bolded part is unnecessary since off-hand penalties are just for attack rolls.

Furthermore, if he possesses an Overdrive pool, the attuned wielder may power the weapons with offensive motes. If he does so, if the attack successfully deals any damage to its intended target, the weapons refund the spent offensive mote in a surge of Essence.

I assume that this is a reference to ordinary prayer pieces since you do not say how much it cost to power the weapon anywhere. If so you should either include a bit of rules stating something to the effect of "these weapons functions like normal prayer pieces except where noted", or intregrate the relevant rules into the description.
Personally I would prefer the later.

A Solar may also dedicate the battle to the Unconquered Sun

Why only a Solar, as opposed to any religious worshiper of the Sun?

with a prayer, making a (Charisma + Performance) roll at difficulty 5 as a (5, -1) action.
Bolded part should be replaced by a miscellaneous action.
Speed 5, -1 dv is the default. through if you want to be extra clear you could specify that.

Doing so allows these Prayer Pieces to function without ammunition for a scene. Sacrificing a Creature of Darkness (by, say, killing him with one of these weapons) will reduce the Difficulty of this roll by (its Essence), to a minimum of 1, and by spending a point of temporary Willpower while killing a Creature of Darkness in this manner, the Solar may treat that attack roll as the prayer for dedicating the battle to the Unconquered Sun. The destruction of the enemies of Creation is the most sublime prayer the Unconquered Sun could receive.

This is a bit clunky, but I see what you are going for.
Note however that the willpower spending version is essentially always going to surpass the difficulty.

Speed 5, Accuracy +2, Damage 10L/2*, Rate 2 (each), Range 50, Ammo 5, Tags: O, Attune 6 (each)

*10A/2 vs. Creatures of Darkness

I think the damage may be a bit too high in 2.5 exalted, perhaps consider lowering it to 8L/2, but we haven't yet seen the stats of any weapons which costs motes to fire, so unsure.

Right then, so to surmise the artifact is a pair of prayer pierces with the following advantages:
no off hand penalty when wielded together
can pay for attacking with overdrive motes. If successful get motes back.
can make prayer to Sun to remove cost to fire
can kill creatures to darkness to do the above, cost one willpower.
above can only be used by solars.
possibly get the second prayer piece for just 1 artifact dot instead of 3.

Is that summary correct?
If so it amounts to a several minor powers and two larger ones, both of which is basically that you don't have to pay to attack with them.
One should now consider the great power of aggravated attacks against creatures of darkness for free, now that people are going to rely more on their soak. I would be a bit wary of that.

tonberrian
2012-03-22, 09:00 PM
Artifact 4 for both or artifact 4 for one of them?

Both of them.

I assume that this is a reference to ordinary prayer pieces since you do not say how much it cost to power the weapon anywhere. If so you should either include a bit of rules stating something to the effect of "these weapons functions like normal prayer pieces except where noted", or intregrate the relevant rules into the description.
Personally I would prefer the later.

Fixed.

Why only a Solar, as opposed to any religious worshiper of the Sun?

Editting artifact.

Bolded part should be replaced by a miscellaneous action.
Speed 5, -1 dv is the default. through if you want to be extra clear you could specify that.

Fixed.

This is a bit clunky, but I see what you are going for.
Note however that the willpower spending version is essentially always going to surpass the difficulty.

Of course! Killing the Creature of Darkness is the hard part.

I think the damage may be a bit too high in 2.5 exalted, perhaps consider lowering it to 8L/2, but we haven't yet seen the stats of any weapons which costs motes to fire, so unsure.

We have seen the updated alchemical fire weapons, though, and this has a similar damage to them. The alchemical weapons were not updated, and I think that this shouldn't be either (aside from adding Overwhelming 2 because it's an artifact). It is comparable to a Powerbow with broadhead arrows (at 5 Strength), and that's before counting the Powerbow's MM bonus.

Right then, so to surmise the artifact is a pair of prayer pierces with the following advantages:
no off hand penalty when wielded together
can pay for attacking with overdrive motes. If successful get motes back.
can make prayer to Sun to remove cost to fire
can kill creatures to darkness to do the above, cost one willpower.
above can only be used by solars.
possibly get the second prayer piece for just 1 artifact dot instead of 3.

Is that summary correct?
If so it amounts to a several minor powers and two larger ones, both of which is basically that you don't have to pay to attack with them.
One should now consider the great power of aggravated attacks against creatures of darkness for free, now that people are going to rely more on their soak. I would be a bit wary of that.

Pretty much correct. Cheap Holy is snazzy, but it is an Artifact 4.