PDA

View Full Version : A wand question

Narciso Bizarro
2012-03-22, 09:02 PM
Is there any prestige class wand-related, without being heavily oriented to magic or spells (in short: that doesn't have craft wand as prerrequisite)?

I want a fighter or rogue using wands in combat with a couple of shiny effects:smallbiggrin:

Big Fau
2012-03-22, 09:40 PM
Unfortunately, no. The closest thing there is would be the Cannith Wand Adept, but that's pretty much caster-exclusive.

The only real alternative is to play an Artificer or a Duskblade (the former being more capable of using wands in general).

Snowbluff
2012-03-22, 10:12 PM
Uhh... Warlocks as well. They can take 10s on UMD at 4, and can make any magic item at 12.

Also, Complete Mage has Metamagic Spell Trigger and Reckless Wand Wielder, and i know that there is a feat that lets you use one want in each hand tp cast spells.

Bearlock
2012-03-22, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately, no. The closest thing there is would be the Cannith Wand Adept, but that's pretty much caster-exclusive.
Agreed, pretty much the only thing that is wand-centric that I've come across. It can be found in the Sharn: City of Towers eberron book if you do decide to take a look.

Thurbane
2012-03-23, 12:48 AM
I asked a similar question a while back, might find some useful stuff in there: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140684

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-23, 07:02 AM
I would say go Rogue or Factotum, which give you Use Magic Device as class skills, plus the ability to incorporate Sneak Attack damage into your attacks. Buy a Wand Bracer (or two, for Double Wand Wielding; they're in Dungeonscape, p. 33), and then get two Wands of Ray of Frost (375gp each) or Ray of Ice (which denies targets their DEX bonus and immobilizes them on a failed save until or unless they break free), two Wands of Shocking Grasp, Combust, or Vampiric Touch, an Eternal Wand of Touch of Idiocy, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shivering Touch, Poison, or some other ability damage wand, plus one of Ray of Stupidity (for when energy damage won't cut it; the Ray of Stupidity in particular auto-gibs animals, so it's just useful to have), an Eternal Wand of Blast of Force, Salt Ray, Chill of the Grave, Defenestrating Sphere or Orb of Fire/Force (for when Ray of Frost won't cut it), an Eternal Wand of Languor, Ghoul Gesture, or Ray of Dizziness for useful debuffs (better yet: find spells that have touch attacks, deal damage and debuff), and then fill the wand chambers with whatever else you want. Also have Wands of Lesser Vigor/Cure Light Wounds, an Eternal Wand of Knock, and other useful utility wands (but don't include them in your Wand Bracer, because they're utility spells that you probably won't need to gather up as a swift action).

I'd say that, in combat, Ray of Ice, Blade of Pain and Fear (Eternal), Blast of Force, Defenestrating Sphere, the Orb of X line, and Saltray are your MVPs for being eligible spells that offer touch attacks (or ranged touches) that deal damage and also have save-or-suck effects, meaning you can use two of these wands in a round, get two Sneak Attacks off, plus two debuffs at range, while spells like Scorching Ray and Hailstones are runners-up for the ability to strike multiple targets with one spell. ;)

Three levels of Chameleon should give you an effective caster level of 6th, which gives you access to the Craft Wand feat; it should also give you a bonus feat you can change out every day (effectively giving you Craft Wand retroactively). Assuming five levels of Factotum doesn't do it for you.

You are now a caster with full Sneak Attack progression (that you can use on many of your recurring attacks more than once per round). :smallbiggrin:

Bloodgruve
2012-03-23, 08:03 AM
If you're in a campaign without a home base or access to a magic shop I would go Artificer/Bag of Holding/Dedicated Writ so you can have a steady stream of wands coming in. Tylenol has some very good ideas also.

Do you need to make a check to use a wand if the spell is on your spell list?

GL
Blood~

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-23, 08:07 AM
Do you need to make a check to use a wand if the spell is on your spell list?

No, you don't, which is a point for Chameleon on the build I proposed (or any casting class otherwise).

Narciso Bizarro
2012-03-23, 12:26 PM
The closest thing there is would be the Cannith Wand Adept, but that's pretty much caster-exclusive.

I've read this, but it requires too spellcasting for what i looking for. The same with the Warlock.

I want to create a combat-oriented warforged with a wand of magic missile and a wand of fire as signature weapons: Sektor from Mortal Kombat XD

rot42
2012-03-23, 07:45 PM
There is the Double Wand Wielder feat in Complete Arcane, but that requires Craft Wand. Dual Dorje in Complete Psionic has a similar prerequisite; Dorje Mastery in the same book automatically augments a power, which can be quite nice for accessing higher level effects.

The Karsus vestige in Tome of Magic bumps the save DC of any wand you wield by two and lets you use wands off the Sorcerer/Wizard list. You can bind it with three levels of Binder, one level and a feat, or three feats (partial benefits). Binder 8 lets you bind a second vestige at the same time: Tenebrous for continuous Deeper Darkness and immediate action teleporting, Malphas for Invisibility at will (with a raven scout), or Paimon for a Dance of Death similar to the Dervish.