PDA

View Full Version : Best/most beneficial spells for DMM/persist?

Dancingdeath
2012-03-22, 11:09 PM
Well, I can swing 3 spells to DMM/persist at current level. What do you guys think I should keep going as buffs? Divine Power seems like a no brainer, but what else?

Dancingdeath
2012-03-22, 11:28 PM
Currently only have access to 4th level spells and lower.

Vegan Zombie
2012-03-22, 11:44 PM
IMO Divine Favor, Haste and Minor Visage of the Deity (Complete Divine) are all good bets

Aegis013
2012-03-22, 11:44 PM
If you can find things that benefit the entire group and qualify for Persistent Spell, those are prime candidates. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Vigorous Circle, and Recitation came up as candidates after some quick google-fu.

Coidzor
2012-03-22, 11:45 PM
If you can grab a rod of chain as well, Persist + Chain Lesser Vigor is sometimes fun. Though lesser vigor requires a bit of stuff to do that,.... I know there is a version that works with persist and chain without having to apply something like ocular spell to it to get it to work...

Douglas
2012-03-23, 12:24 AM
Divine Power, Mass Lesser Vigor, and Recitation. When you get 5th level spells, swap something out for Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

*.*.*.*
2012-03-23, 12:42 AM
Stop that you! Read handbooks, it's what the rest of us done!:smallannoyed:

Dancingdeath
2012-03-23, 12:43 AM
I am of course looking through books as well. Just looking for some input.

Elric VIII
2012-03-23, 12:48 AM
If you can grab a rod of chain as well, Persist + Chain Lesser Vigor is sometimes fun. Though lesser vigor requires a bit of stuff to do that,.... I know there is a version that works with persist and chain without having to apply something like ocular spell to it to get it to work...

How does that work with stacking, because the Chain would have to be applied first? Or can you use a rod to prepare spells with metamagic, if you choose?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-23, 12:55 AM
Get the Spell domain and a 3rd level Pearl of Power. Use Anyspell to prepare, cast, and persist Shield. Use the pearl to recover Anyspell, and use it again to prepare, cast, and persist Wraithstrike. Your third spell should of course be Divine Power.

Alternatives include Mass Lesser Vigor and/or Recitation for your entire party, and Ice Axe if your Str is still abysmally low even after Divine Power (or is a suitable alternative to Divine Power).

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-23, 12:56 AM
Divine Power, Mass Lesser Vigor, and Recitation. When you get 5th level spells, swap something out for Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

/thread.

Giving the party Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours basically renders out-of-combat healing obsolete, and makes hit points a "per encounter" issue instead of a "per day/until downtime" issue.

For added fun, combine with Delay Death on yourself to make you basically invincible (as hit point damage goes), or Death Ward (for negative energy and death effects). If you do all three, you are basically immune to death (but not as combat-effective as if one of them was Divine Power).

Acanous
2012-03-23, 01:00 AM
Get the Spell domain and a 3rd level Pearl of Power. Use Anyspell to prepare, cast, and persist Shield. Use the pearl to recover Anyspell, and use it again to prepare, cast, and persist Wraithstrike. Your third spell should of course be Divine Power.

Alternatives include Mass Lesser Vigor and/or Recitation for your entire party, and Ice Axe if your Str is still abysmally low even after Divine Power (or is a suitable alternative to Divine Power).

You're mean.
Wraithstrike is a crazy good idea if done like that.
Ice Axe, and Lesser Visage of the Deity if you want. The "Shield" suggestion strikes me as odd, given that as a cleric you're likely to have a shield with an enhancement bonus anyhow. But if you go cloistered, grabbing shield works.

Dancingdeath
2012-03-23, 01:08 AM
RAW a spell cast before the end of the same said spell simply increases it's duration instead of replacing it.

Would that mean that you could DMM/persist a sanctified spell and never suffer the ability damage? From BoED, "The sacrifice occurs when the spells duration expires".

Since you're renewing the spell for a full 24 hours every morning, you would never suffer the damage because the original spell never ends. Anyone find a hole in my logic?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-23, 01:11 AM
RAW a spell cast before the end of the same said spell simply increases it's duration instead of replacing it.

Would that mean that you could DMM/persist a sanctified spell and never suffer the ability damage? From BoED, "The sacrifice occurs when the spells duration expires".

Since you're renewing the spell for a full 24 hours every morning, you would never suffer the damage because the original spell never ends. Anyone find a hole in my logic?

Where does it say that? I always thought that multiple instances of the same spell creates a redundant effect, but the durations of each instance of the spell are still tracked separately (in case one is dispelled, for example).

Just get a Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) to fix the sacrifice damage.

Coidzor
2012-03-23, 01:12 AM
How does that work with stacking, because the Chain would have to be applied first? Or can you use a rod to prepare spells with metamagic, if you choose?

I was misremembering, mostly.

Dancingdeath
2012-03-23, 01:18 AM
I don't remember. If anyone does, please say so, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

TehLivingDeath
2012-03-24, 07:38 PM
I don't remember. If anyone does, please say so, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

I couldn't quote the rules right now, but I'm pretty sure that casting a spell again doesn't refresh it's duration, it merely creates an effect that won't stack and will only become relevant when the duration of the previous casting runs out. So you could theoretically have a million Haste spells, each with it's own duration being tracked separately.

Of course, normally it's a moot point since most spells don't have any secundary effects once they run out so you can just track the last casting.

nedz
2012-03-24, 09:26 PM
All of these are good combat options.

But there are situations where these are not so useful. You just have to be a little creative.
E.G. if you are in town and doing some investigations then Discern Lies would be a go-to spell for persist.