PDA

View Full Version : D&D[3.5]Making a High-Powered Living Astral ship

Magikeeper
2012-03-23, 02:33 AM
So, I’m trying to design a living Astral Ship for the game I’m in. I don’t know how much the “living” part costs, but the DM is letting me have it so I’ll assume it costs a 700k for now. Other than that he just told me to design a ship and then stick the helm (In this case, a magic seat) in it.

I’m thinking of designing something similar to the inner portion of a Star craft II carrier (without those extra parts sticking out). I’m looking for any advice/ideas/etc to improve the ship listed below. Anything in D&D 3.5 and some 3.0 is okay including dragon magazine.

The purpose of the ship is to basically haul the party and a bunch of followers around so the primary concerns are preventing the ship from getting destroyed/stolen. I totally imagine a transdimensional filthy rich wizard squad is going to try to steal this one day.

What I have right now (Using Stronghold Builder’s guide and other sources):
Using cost reduction to get -77% on stronghold parts of the ship (Lawless, Legally Disputed, Warm, Plains, multiple lyres of building, whacked a CR 20 encounter and its friends while building in an area that was open to attack). I can assume crazy caster level/ location shenanigans, but I have to pay full price for magic items.
So I have ~4.204/.23 => ~18,278,260gp to build the ship if I save 900k for spell turrets, etc. So I have an almost 19 mil to spend on ship, 900k for constructs /magic items

Length: 220ft, Width: 60ft, 40ish feat from top to bottom (Raised section 50ft).

HULL AND SHIP WALLS:
Current Wall Costs: 6,002,040gp

Outer Covering (Not part of the ship): 5x some kind of cheap covering. Suggestions? Blocks line of effect for spells.

Outermost Hull: Magically Treated Living Wood with WindGuard(3k). Used CL 50 Harden + Matter Manipulation x2 for treatment. [Hardness 70]

Mid Hull: The Mid-Hull is actually an open area filled with effects projected from the inner hull, with beams connecting the two hulls. The Effects are: Fog Veil (3k), Webbed(3k). ISSUE: I lack visibility of this area if someone sneaks in. At least the fog will leak out if the outer hull is punctured :/ .

Inner Hull/Support/the “helm”: Magically Treated Obdurium/Living wood with a prismatic screen middle. Airtight(7.5k), [Hardness 70/-/120]. Living wood faces the outer hull.

Rooms not vital to the structure of the ship: Living wood. Hardness 70.

So current prices:
HULL:
Outer = 1900 + 3000 +1500 = 6,400 per section
Inner/Mid = 60k + 1.5k + 60k + 1.9k + 3k + 3k + 7.5k = 136,900 per section.
Total = 143,300
We have 132 stronghold spaces*, which means 143.3k * 132 * .3(Exterior) = 5,674,680gp

INNER ROOM WALLS:
132 * (1900 + 1500) * .7 = 314,160gp

Height Cost (2 Above Layers, 2 Sub Layers if ship was built partially underground)
100gp * some number less than 132. (Max 13,200)

So OVERALL TOTAL <= 6,002,040gp

*Assuming that the area of raised section ~= the difference between the two 40ft mid layers and the less than 40ft wide bottom/top layers.

ENTRANCE: The entrance gate will be some number of blast vault doors that can be opened non-magically from the inside. I don’t want the entrance to be a weak point. Given the ships size, should I have more than one exit?

INNER ROOMS
Cost: Unknown, a few hundred thousand at most

I don’t have a flooplan to scan yet, but here are the rooms (Note, creator had fabricate):
<ROOMS TO BE ADDED LATER, we’re going to be living on this ship so it’s going to have everything. The outer hallways will be the outer rims, thats why the ship is 60ft wide (10ft walkways on each side), although some secret passageways and other doors will exist>

Systems (Not sure about exact amounts. Not a part of stronghold price):
Running Water System: 3x Decanter of Endless water (27k gp)
Air System: 4x Bottle of Air (30k gp)
Light System: Glowing Orbs. Tons of Glowing orbs.
Stale Air/Waste System: 2x Bag of Devouring (31k gp)
Pipes/Vents/Pumps: Don’t know how to price this.

Wondrous Architecture:
Current Cost: 441,500

15k – Everfull Larder
3k - Hole of Hiding
3k – Pantry of Preservation
30k – Platform of Healing
76.5k – Greater Platform of Jaunting
0.75k – Room of Reading
6k – x2 Table of Freshness
44.5k – Brier of Resurrection
159k – Bed of Restoration/Cure Disease/Remove Curse/Regenration
36k - Greater Map of Tactics
66k - Sigils of Antimagic (one stronghold space)
Total: 441,500

Once I decide rooms I’ll deal with extra stuff like chambers of comfort and the like. Can’t really afford to blanket the entire ship with any augments.

Speed Enhancement, Enhanced Travelling, Engines, Etc:
TOTAL COST = 9,996,520

Stronghold Locomotion:
Fly (15,000 per Space) <- Living Astral Ships can’t hover. :(
Burrow (10,000 per Space)
Teleport 1/Day (50,000 per Space) [Sooo expensive]
Total Price = 9,900,000
-----------------
Lighting Turbine (90,000gp, A&E, increases speed in a storm)
Planar Helm (65,520gp, Stormwrack, Wheel (as opposed to the LAS’s “helm”) – Planar Navigation 2/Day)

Other Defenses:

5x Spell Turrets of [Extended Invisible Golem Immunity (Flesh) / ?Deceptive? Heightened Stored Lighting Bolt / Extended MindBlank / <?????>] <- I’m assuming the price of a 9th level spell turret, as they are all effectively 8th level spells with 1 level of metamagic. The 5 turrets are in the same room as the helm/seat and are staggered so that each spell is cast every round. This means our ship is immune to magic like a flesh golem, is protected from scrying spells, and heals ~42 points of damage per round. The issue is when the Magic Immunity ends the ship takes ~126 damage on a failed save, so I can’t risk setting up a trap that deals 1000s of damage each round.

5x spell Turrets of [Delay Death/Freedom of Movement/????/????], Staggered so as to cast every spell alongside the above. Helps protect the ship if it loses magic immunity due to the duration expiring or dispelling.

250k - Weirdstone (When activated blocks teleportation and diviniation in a 6-mile radius. Can teleport/divine out of the field, but not into it. Probably can't use near cities without angering someone.)

Anti-Theft

I don’t know.

What if we are trapped in a null field?

Maybe add wheels?
A non-magical air-pump system would be nice. Are there any rules for one?

Other Restrictions: The creator of this ship was my cohort’s missing father. He was a high-level wizard-psion. Our party is level 13 gestalt with +2 free LA (Effective +4 with assumed buy-off) and we don’t have much in the way of spellcasting. We have extreme wealth in non-transferable forms, but most of us lack actual gold so anything that is costly to maintain is an issue. One PC has a business empire that produces a million every couple of months, but we are probably going to use that to throw money at diplomatic snafus.

CREW:
If you have any ideas for some cool crewmembers that would be great. This is being set up as the core fortress of a CG civil rights organization so any race is fine, but no Super-Lawful or evil crewmembers please. The world hates non-elan aberrantions, so those carry some risk.
We have open positions at level 6, and a bazillion open positions lower level than that (Leadership score over 30, so max allowed by pre-epic chart.). PC classes are allowed for followers in our game. The other PCs also have leadership, but most of them are not contributing crew.

Current Crew (ignoring templates to save space, everything has templates. The entire world has +2 for free and is using buy-off):

PCs (Often not on ship):
> CG Ardent/Ozodrin w/some prestige/multiclassing (I have wild surge +4)
> N Petal Fey Telekineticist/Burning Blade. [Other PC adding Crew. Leans CG]
> LG 14th level gold dragon / favored soul that doesn’t act much like a caster.
> CG Chaos monk/templated monstrosity.
> ?? ???? (Is supposedly joining)
Cohorts/Followers (Not Gestalt):
Level 11
> CG Marshal(Cha)/Cloistered Cleric/Speaker of Calm Futures (VOP Diplomancer). 9yrs old, owns ship.
> CN Unbodied Marshal(Int)/Archivist/Psychic Theruge (Travels with party, Effective 9th level psion, 6th level archivist. BluffMaster)
> LG Marshal(Dex)/Rogue (Travels with party. I assume he still exists, have to ask favored soul)
Level 9 (Cohorts of Cohorts and Cohorts of Psicrystals of Cohorts**)
> CG Totemist/Psion(Shaper)/Constructor (Caretaker of the 9yr old, Effective 6th level Psion[ml 13])
> Some sort of Artificer (Future Wondrous Items at 1/5th cost)
Level 6 :
Level 5 (lots of slots):
Level 4:
Level 3:
Level 2:
Level 1:
> 2 CG Deathmaster Gravetouch Ghouls
> ~20 ?CG? Petal Fey Wizards (Not sure what we are having them do.)
> 2 CG <???> Cooks (I have personalities for these guys)
> N Marshal(Wis) [Librarian]

**Note: The Child/Caretaker is my only leadership chain – the petal fey going nuts with psycristals and stuff is using most of hir people to run a global business empire. So the chain isn’t available for the crew.

And yes, the Ozodrin is going to have assassins and such chasing it due to the whole aberration racism thing.

Zonugal
2012-03-24, 12:58 PM
Have you considered using a Living Astral Ship from the Planar Handbook?

I think it might make a lot of things easier...

Demonic_Spoon
2012-03-24, 02:06 PM
Swordsaged by Zonugal for suggesting living astral ship from Planar Handbook, won't make thing simpler though, as there are no hard and fast stats for it, the only real reason I would suggest it is for the uncapped speed based on the int of the pilot outside of a gravity well. That plus planar bubble to a gravityless plane(i.e. Astral Plane) can mean a extremely fast ship if you pile on enough cheese.

Also sbg wondrous architecture teleport is a nono(too expensive), use a combination of planar helm and planar sails(assuming planar sails function like plane shift) to arrive closeish to your destination.

Walls will stop line of effect of antimagic field so it won't effect the inside. There are air plants from stormwrack for nonmagical breathing(all I can think of off of the top of my head.)

I would suggest chambers of comfort instead of air bottles for providing air.

Anti-Theft:
Use Hallow and Dimension Lock instead of weirdstone, set some conditions which your entire crew can fulfill. Only entrance is via teleportation, platform of jaunting or whatever to exit.

Suggested Reading (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19857754/Living_in_a_Flying_Box...)

Example for pilot of living astral ship:

Take lvl 11ish elan, PaO him into a White Ethergaunt
27 int
Give him a head band of intellect(+6) and inherent bonuses(+5)
38 int
Keep him on a diet of mushroom powder drug(+2)
40 int
=400 feet per round+30ft from psychic sails(I have no idea)
430ft.(Not even putting running speed into calculation(which it can do indefinitely thanks to being a construct))

The sbg enchantment can only go to 88ft/round apparently(other peoples math didn't check). This of course also doesn't include more esoteric things like horseshoes of flame, faustian pact etc.

Of course not being a object had its own vulnerabilities but no single option is perfect.Oh wait, you're thing is already being made living so nevermind.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-24, 02:42 PM
Here's a thingy I wrote up...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14zilT4WGOyHM0AfpG4-GmD2FkgDg1HZ9HC1cTleQHds/edit