PDA

View Full Version : What remakes do you expect?

TheZenMaster
2012-03-23, 04:55 AM
Well with the 3 Stooges coming out there is officially nothing sacred to hollywood.

So lets continue shall we?

Teenage Mutant Alien Robot
Citizen kane

But more seriously, what remakes do you EXPECT to see? :smallyuk:

Yora
2012-03-23, 05:09 AM
Anything that is successful but not made by americans.
Because americans are unable to watch anything not made by americans.

Mx.Silver
2012-03-23, 05:17 AM
Whatever 80s properties haven't already been remade yet.

Yora
2012-03-23, 05:27 AM
I honestly can't think of anything...

Captain Planet? :smalleek:

Pokonic
2012-03-23, 05:28 AM
Presuamably, someone taking another shot at the His Dark Materials and doing it right this time. As in, try to do the Harry-Potter method of story telling.

Captain Planet?

It's in the works. :smalleek:

Yora
2012-03-23, 05:32 AM
Then I really can't think of anything from the 80s that's not getting a remake.

Axolotl
2012-03-23, 05:36 AM
Whatever 80s properties haven't already been remade yet.Back to the Future is the biggest one I can think of.

Shadow of the Sun
2012-03-23, 05:44 AM
I have stated that if they try to remake Casablanca, I will go completely nutty.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-23, 05:54 AM
Grapes of Wrath. Imagine how exciting the car chase scene will be when no one can drive faster than 20-30mph.

Yora
2012-03-23, 06:19 AM
Back to the Future is the biggest one I can think of.

But that one is still looking really good somehow. It's not like you could improve on the effects and the locations much.
But then, most remakes are completely pointless.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-03-23, 06:48 AM
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century?

Alien Nation?

Fantastic Journey?

Logan's Run?

Quantum Leap?

Robocop?

Six Million Dollar Man/The Bionic Woman?

V?

There were a lot of series back in the 1980's. This was just the Science Fiction ones, but there were a lot of other shows that I liked that still haven't been redone. Magnum P.I, Simon & Simon, The Leg Men, and a few others.

Give it time. :smallwink:

Axolotl
2012-03-23, 06:56 AM
V?I thought they already had remade this a couple of years ago?

Aotrs Commander
2012-03-23, 07:00 AM
It's in the works. :smalleek:

I...

Wha...

*skullpalm*

Six Million Dollar Man/The Bionic Woman?

Didn't they do the latter up to the writer's strike a year or two back?

I would like to see live-action version of both Dangermouse and Centurions (the former quick while David Jason is still around...!) However, my faith in Hollywood's ability to do a rendition that doesn't suck in the case of the former and is anything other than watchable in the latter is miminal, so it's perhaps better if they stay as they are...

Hopeless
2012-03-23, 07:22 AM
I...
Wha...
*skullpalm*
Didn't they do the latter up to the writer's strike a year or two back?
I would like to see live-action version of both Dangermouse and Centurions (the former quick while David Jason is still around...!) However, my faith in Hollywood's ability to do a rendition that doesn't suck in the case of the former and is anything other than watchable in the latter is miminal, so it's perhaps better if they stay as they are...

Most importantly they would have to remember Danger Mouse has a british accent and by that I mean he isn't American not that they wouldn't try to say otherwise.

Yes there was a bionic woman remake starring someone formerly on Eastenders and even had the lady who played Starbuck play her nemesis and predecessor cyborg.

However they chose to forget the six million dollar man preceded that series and given the storyline they pulled for that remake perhaps understandable.

Though they could have given it the same theme tune as the one given for either the pilot of the Six Million Dollar Man or Buck Rogers which were both extraordinarily awful.

I am not kidding I didn't bother buying any further releases of the bionic man and only kept season 1 of buck rogers because fortunately they changed the theme tune after the pilot...

I'd like to see a remake of Space Cops preferably not overdo the special effects so its actually affordable although the US could probably not worry about that.

A remake of Mass Effect would actually be nice, one of these days someone has to try and see if they can get an actual tv series out of one of these even Final Fantasy without having to turn out an awful script since they never seem to have bothered playing one of these series to realise its actually well worth it...

Hmm Final Fantasy 7 seems perfect for a tv rendition has everything to keep any fan of twilight quiet for at least a while whilst the rest of us hope James Marsters can be involved whether its live action or purely cg because you know he could pull off at least a few of the villains... perhaps even a hero or two.

Remake Dragonball and this time keep James Marsters in it but keep to the original instead of trying to add some utterly pointless alteration remembering the sequel has to, absolutely must involve Goku's brother and the eventual arrival of Vegeta with the third dealing with frieza!!!

Sorry went a little mad there!

The Glyphstone
2012-03-23, 07:26 AM
Oh, and aren't we due for a new rendition of Dracula? He'll be pale, beautiful, and androgynous, and legions of people will decry his ability to walk in the sunlight as pandering to Twilight fans.:smallbiggrin:

razark
2012-03-23, 08:00 AM
The Princess Bride

Manga Shoggoth
2012-03-23, 08:42 AM
Whatever 80s properties haven't already been remade yet.

It is fortunate that the The Star Wars Holiday Special was made in 1978.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-23, 08:45 AM
Back to the Future is the biggest one I can think of.

2015 edition!

Tal_Akaan
2012-03-23, 01:58 PM
I think a new Masters of the Universe would be sweet. As with most things it would have to be done right.

I actually just really like the idea of a Si-Fi Fantasy movie. Technology and magic...

...how could that not be awesome.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-23, 02:04 PM
Presuamably, someone taking another shot at the His Dark Materials and doing it right this time. As in, try to do the Harry-Potter method of story telling.Reveal the existence of time travel in the third installment, making the entire setting lose credibility?

Inadverdently depict the entire universe as a dystopian nightmare, the likes of which never actually seem to be realized in-universe?

Or do you mean like the movies, i.e., have the fourth one completely destroy the precepts upon which the later installments are built, and then have the later installments completely ignore it?

VA_beds
2012-03-23, 02:08 PM
The Princess Bride

i hate you for even mentioning the possibility

and now one that hasnt been mentioned...and is an iconic film(therefore i am sure it will be butchered re-made soon)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Hazzardevil
2012-03-23, 02:10 PM
Then I really can't think of anything from the 80s that's not getting a remake.

At least one of the star wars films was made in the 80's wasn't it? Sorry for my lack of ignorance, I am a 90's kid.
I am surprised they haven't made a star wars remake yet, or is it that Lucas arts have realized that fans of the original never like remakes?
At least a remake of the prequels would have a shot without George Lucas "helping".

Starscream
2012-03-23, 02:10 PM
I wanna Gargoyles movie!

That being said, there's a few 80s franchises that seem likely candidates.

* Masters of the Universe (there was a TV show in 2002, but I could see a movie being done)
* Defenders of the Earth (Comic book movies are big, and the rights for King Features heroes must be comparatively cheap)
* Voltron (they've been talking about it for years)
* Fraggle Rock (The Muppets was a hit, so why not?)
* The 80s dungeons & Dragons cartoon (wishful thinking...)

razark
2012-03-23, 02:49 PM
i hate you for even mentioning the possibility
I never said I liked the idea. But with the current trend of remaking the entire 80s, it's bound to happen sooner or later. It's my classic example of why it needs to stop. I have no idea what I'll use as an example if they ever do a remake.

Hell, how do you remake Red Dawn with a current setting? Or WarGames? A Top Gun sequel? Not to mention a whole slew of movies based off of 1980s TV shows, which seem to take any source material and turn it into a stupid comedy.

Tengu_temp
2012-03-23, 02:54 PM
Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

And not told from the perspective of the titular character, oh no. The new main character is an everygirl who finds Jekyll to be adorably dorky and Hyde a troubled but cute bad boy, and who helps him with the power of love.

Karoht
2012-03-23, 02:59 PM
Nooooo one expects the Spanish Remake-quisition!!!

Seriously, I would be over the moon if they announced a remake of anything by the Monty Python crew. Especially if they announced some horrible, horrible retcons. Like Brian now being a cyborg. Or something equally non-sensical.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-23, 03:13 PM

And not told from the perspective of the titular character, oh no. The new main character is an everygirl who finds Jekyll to be adorably dorky and Hyde a troubled but cute bad boy, and who helps him with the power of love.

We're talking remakes, not anime adaptations.

Nooooo one expects the Spanish Remake-quisition!!!

Seriously, I would be over the moon if they announced a remake of anything by the Monty Python crew. Especially if they announced some horrible, horrible retcons. Like Brian now being a cyborg. Or something equally non-sensical.

The haters called. They're claiming copyright on their reviews of Spamalot.

At least one of the star wars films was made in the 80's wasn't it? Sorry for my lack of ignorance, I am a 90's kid.
I am surprised they haven't made a star wars remake yet, or is it that Lucas arts have realized that fans of the original never like remakes?
At least a remake of the prequels would have a shot without George Lucas "helping".

Kid, they already remade Star Wars for theaters. People already spent 15 years complaining about it. Now they're re-releasing the prequels. Star Wars has this covered, and they haven't even bothered filming a new one yet.

Hell, how do you remake Red Dawn with a current setting?

Hand a camcorder to some yokels in rural Illinois for a weekend.

Karoht
2012-03-23, 03:27 PM
The haters called. They're claiming copyright on their reviews of Spamalot.You know, I still haven't seen Spamalot but I hear it was good. Or did I mis-hear?

Also, Life of Brian could be remade with a bit more modern context and be hilarious. Especially to watch certain groups of haters come out and likely protest this film.

Velaryon
2012-03-23, 03:47 PM
I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake The Terminator yet.

Karoht
2012-03-23, 04:12 PM
I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake The Terminator yet.I don't hate the new films, but they could have been better.

But a complete series reboot? Yeah, that might be necessary, as Arnold isn't likely to reprise the role after the next film (I keep hearing that he's in the next one, no idea if that is true), or they would just have to deal with the Terminator being a different face each time, which IMO would make more sense anyway.

I only saw a few episodes of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, it was alright I guess.

Tengu_temp
2012-03-23, 04:23 PM
We're talking remakes, not anime adaptations.

That was more about riding the popularity of Twilight, and it's not like that thing got a manga or anime adapta-
http://www.chucksanimeshrine.com/animeblog/uploaded_images/twilight_manga_vol1-751130.jpg
Damn.

I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake The Terminator yet.

They haven't stopped milking the franchise with crappy sequels yet. Give them time.

Othesemo
2012-03-23, 04:34 PM
I'm going to guess that someone will try to remake "Who Framed Roger Rabbit." It was too popular for somebody to not do it.

Alabenson
2012-03-23, 04:41 PM
Honestly, I'm amazed we haven't heard anything about a Wizard of Oz remake yet, given that:
A) It's one of the few classics that could actually be remade well, assuming its done as an adaptation of the orginal novel.
B) Fantasy is still fairly popular at the moment.

Weezer
2012-03-23, 04:44 PM

Have you seen Jekyll, the BBC series done by Moffat a few years ago? Because some of what you say strikes rather close to the mark...

Final episode spoilers:
They reveal in the last episode that Hyde embodies not the dark side of humanity as previously thought, but love. Ruined what until then had been a decent take on the Jekyll and Hyde story.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-23, 04:54 PM
I think there were some rumours about remaking Logan's Run and Who Framed Roger Rabbit... I wonder if Disney would demand that Captain America gets exactly the same amount of screen time as Superman this time.

Lord Raziere
2012-03-23, 07:33 PM
I don't know what remakes will happen, and I don't care to guess. But I do know that they will provide more fuel for the Nostalgia Critic either way.

razark
2012-03-23, 07:52 PM
Honestly, I'm amazed we haven't heard anything about a Wizard of Oz remake yet
*Ahem*:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_The_Wizard_of_Oz#Film_adaptations

Xondoure
2012-03-23, 09:14 PM
Carried over from the other remake thread because I actually think it would be interesting I'd like to see the Never Ending Story redone. Preferably with someone like del Toro directing.

Velaryon
2012-03-23, 10:56 PM
Come to think of it, I wonder if they'll ever try to remake Ghostbusters since they can't get Bill Murray to sign on for a third film.

A few other random 80's properties that could be remade:
The Goonies
The Breakfast Club
Blackadder
He-Man and/or She-Ra
Labyrinth

Actually, I just discovered that there is a manga sequel to Labyrinth, and supposedly a graphic novel prequel is being made. That's... very strange.

Pokonic
2012-03-23, 11:05 PM
Oh, and aren't we due for a new rendition of Dracula? He'll be pale, beautiful, and androgynous, and legions of people will decry his ability to walk in the sunlight as pandering to Twilight fans.:smallbiggrin:

Stop giving them ideas.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-24, 04:25 AM
They remade He-Man, didn't they?

TheZenMaster
2012-03-24, 04:27 AM
They remade He-Man, didn't they?

They did. From what I seen (15 minutes from 7 years ago) It had higher production costs.

TechnOkami
2012-03-24, 05:04 AM
Seeing that this has veered way off course, I can honestly say that there's only a few things I've seen as a re-make and enjoyed it enough to respect it.
I just re-read the title and realized I was wrong. Nevertheless, I feel like posting this.

-Battlestar Galactica (re-make of the original series)

-(not sure if counts) Sherlock Holmes

-(technically a re-imagining) Star Trek

-The Magnificent Seven (technically a remake of 7 Samurai)

-The Mummy (re-make of the black n' white film)

-Whose Line Is It Anyway (a technical re-make of the original British show)

-A Fistful of Dollars (remake of Yojimbo)

Aand... that's all I got.

Hopeless
2012-03-24, 11:53 AM
Stephen Moffett bringing his version of a modern retelling of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Me I wonder if a retelling of the Jekyll and Hyde story could be done by revealing one of the attempts escaped during the second world war and an organisation set up to hunt down this menace is finding itself fighting other threats as we're introduced to a potential new recruit who during the day is a perfectly normal young woman whose unable to get a high paying job and ends up working in a fast food restaurant to live but during the night she turns into an adrenaline crazed vigilante seeking to protect the inhabitants of her home town from a gradually worsening society unaware her father is a wanted serial killer who is being hunted because he is one of a large number of Jekyll enhanced operatives the organisation is unable to control and she has come to their attention because one of their operatives is trying to kill her because she used to date the operatives estranged husband before he got married.

I just wondered what would happen if this was done say either in Colchester or even up north so rather than it being another london series it took the local culture and created a Gotham-like backdrop using a british city and kept the humor and less of the foul language that seems to play way too big a part in some british tv series ala Misfits.

Yeah unlikely but still a thought...

The Glyphstone
2012-03-24, 11:56 AM
Jaquelline and Heidie? Moffat might be able to pull it off.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-24, 12:57 PM
Citizen kane

No. No. No. Oh, and NO!!!!!

How about a good live action version of Avatar the Last Airbender made by a director who isn't on a losing streak?

Yora
2012-03-24, 01:19 PM
The best use of remakes is to remake bad movies that could have been good.

Which was a mistake of the new Conan movie. Conan was basically the only movie of the genre that is good to begin with. Take any other sword and sorcery movie and nobody will be disapointed. Even if it's terrible, it's probably not worse than the original.

Mx.Silver
2012-03-24, 06:48 PM
Stephen Moffett bringing his version of a modern retelling of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Please, please, do not give them ideas. Especially not this idea.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-25, 08:54 AM
Please, please, do not give them ideas. Especially not this idea.

How much worse could it be than what we already have for a live-action LOEG?

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-25, 11:49 AM

I maintain that the League movie was a pretty good summer action flick. It was just a crappy adapatation.

Pokonic
2012-03-25, 02:12 PM
I maintain that the League movie was a pretty good summer action flick. It was just a crappy adapatation.

Yeah, this. Go in there not having seen the original matirial? Pretty fun. Go in there having seen the original matirial? Expect yourself to be booing and hissing.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-03-25, 02:17 PM
Jaquelline and Heidie? Moffat might be able to pull it off.
Ooooooooh...

Mx.Silver
2012-03-25, 03:24 PM
I would say that the franchise has suffered enough already that we should spare it any further indignities. :smalltongue:

Attempting to modernise the League would also be completely missing the point and putting Moffat in charge also raises the spectre of cross-overs with modernised Sherlock. Especially regarding Moriarty.

Karoht
2012-03-26, 11:53 AM
Hand Drawn Animated (Not CG) remake of the 1986 classic, Transformers: The Movie. Keep the Stan Bush music (maybe updated) and the Weird Al if it can be squeezed in. Ditch pretty much everything else and start from scratch. And ensure that the final battle between X and Megatron/Galvatron uses transforming as well as all the awesomeness of two robots fighting, just like the original tried to do.

Or better yet. Get Pixar to do it.

Alabenson
2012-03-26, 12:52 PM
*Ahem*:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_The_Wizard_of_Oz#Film_adaptations

Let's see, sequel, prequel, sequel, sequel, none of which sound like they're paying any attention to the actual sequel novels written by L. Frank Baum.

What I meant was going back and redoing the orginal Wizard of Oz, i.e. doing an acutal adeptation of the orginal novel, not yet another sequel/prequel leaching off of the success of the movie (which, while a masterpiece of a movie, was a fairly poor adeptation).

pffh
2012-03-26, 01:01 PM
Stop giving them ideas.

But what glyphstone described are part of Dracula. He was pale, beautiful (when recently fed) and could walk around in sunlight.

It would actually be quite interesting to watch the twilight crowds reaction as the beautiful vampire is pretty much mind controlling evil incarnate.

Mewtarthio
2012-03-26, 01:30 PM
On the plus side, he can turn into a wolf and has strong lunar associations (eg turning into mist and traveling through moonlight), so he gets to be on Team Edward and Team Jacob!

dehro
2012-03-26, 01:41 PM
Yeah, this. Go in there not having seen the original matirial?

did that..it was still ridiculous.
not in a small part because I went in there after having watched Sean Connery declare he'd said no to playing Gandalf for this.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-26, 01:57 PM
But what glyphstone described are part of Dracula. He was pale, beautiful (when recently fed) and could walk around in sunlight.

It would actually be quite interesting to watch the twilight crowds reaction as the beautiful vampire is pretty much mind controlling evil incarnate.

On the plus side, he can turn into a wolf and has strong lunar associations (eg turning into mist and traveling through moonlight), so he gets to be on Team Edward and Team Jacob!

Yeah, that was kinda the joke - Dracula is a total Twilight ripoff, but they got all the important bits wrong.:smallcool:[/twifan]

Coidzor
2012-03-26, 02:34 PM
Captain Planet? :smalleek:

Honestly, I can't really see how they'd manage to mess that up.

I mean, other than by letting Michael Bay or Shymalan get anywhere near it.

I have stated that if they try to remake Casablanca, I will go completely nutty.

Nah, I think there's too many labor laws and unions to make Casablanca again.

Plus, to get someone that much of an ass to their cast and crew, you'd have to get someone like Christian Bale directing or producing, as I can't think of anyone still in the business that renowned for being bad to work for.

Giegue
2012-03-26, 03:03 PM
While it's still going strong in Japan, digimon deserves to be released again in America and I could see a live action digimon movie being made as a possible way to "re-boot" the seires for america's "changed audience." The premise, is, after all, more relivent now with all our technological marvels then it was back in the 90s. Unfortunately, I can also see that movie being a crapfest that would look more like a godzilla flick then a digimon movie, with CG digimon stomping around real world cities and the millitary trying and failing to restrain them all while some annoying kids we don't care about befriend some good digimon...bleh.

A series that really deserves a good re-make, though, is Reboot. Imagine that show with modern CGI. They shouldn't do anything to the plot or even the script. Use the exact same plot as before, just update the CGI and that would be godly.

Also, if you can't tell from my name, I think the Mother seires needs a good anime/manga. However, without Itoi, that anime/manga would be crap, so I kinda hope this never comes to be.

Oh...and...I must say it. There is no possible way that a Hands of Manos remake could do any worse then the original...and it would have a cult following to go see it to boot!

Coidzor
2012-03-26, 03:08 PM
A series that really deserves a good re-make, though, is Reboot. Imagine that show with modern CGI. They shouldn't do anything to the plot or even the script. Use the exact same plot as before, just update the CGI and that would be godly.

Also, if you can't tell from my name, I think the Mother seires needs a good anime/manga. However, without Itoi, that anime/manga would be crap, so I kinda hope this never comes to be.

Oh...and...I must say it. There is no possible way that a Hands of Manos remake could do any worse then the original...and it would have a cult following to go see it to boot!

Agreed. And it's a shame about Mother. :smallfrown:

Giegue
2012-03-26, 03:14 PM
Yeah, the mother series is just epic. Final Fantasy can go ahead and have a big emo party with all it's broody bishis, I'll take Giegue/Giygas and Porky over the "momma's boy" any day. Itoi was a genius. Enough said.

Also, I just got a horrible vision....a terrible vision that makes me cry. Pinky and the Brain, with real actors and CGI, done in Yogie Bear fashion. I cringe at the thought of it.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-26, 03:52 PM
But what glyphstone described are part of Dracula. He was pale, beautiful (when recently fed) and could walk around in sunlight.Two out of three. He was pale (but only when he hadn't fed), and could walk around in sunlight (but was orders of magnitude weaker when doing so; it's also stated that he's a sorcerer), but after feeding, he would be bloated and his skin flushed with blood.

Basically he was creepy and corpsey regardless of whether he'd fed, but it'd be in different fashions.

Also, Dracula had a hook-nose and hairy palms. :smallyuk:

Alabenson
2012-03-26, 03:57 PM

Honestly, I'd almost want to see Michael Bay direct a Captain Planet movie; it's going to be horrible anyway, but Michael Bay's trademark stupidity might push it into so bad its good territory.

Karoht
2012-03-26, 04:46 PM
I think reboot getting a reboot wouldn't be as cool as one might at first think.

Basically, CGI was pretty bad compared to modern techniques, wireframes, and rendering. Part of Reboot's style came from the artists working within those limitations as much as possible. So trying to use modern stuff while still capturing that style would be challenging. Not impossible, but challenging. If they do it even .01% wrong, fans will hate it. But if they get it right, they could have an even bigger success.

Granted, it would be like Picaso in a way. Spend your life learning to do things perfectly, then intentionally regress for style and experience purposes. I already foresee animators pulling hair out for having to intentionally do things wrong or the hard way.

Coidzor
2012-03-26, 09:35 PM
What are you guys talking about? Dracula looks like a younger Christopher Lee. :smalltongue:

Honestly, I'd almost want to see Michael Bay direct a Captain Planet movie; it's going to be horrible anyway, but Michael Bay's trademark stupidity might push it into so bad its good territory.

I dunno, given what he did with Transformers I imagine he'd just make it racist. Racister?

The Glyphstone
2012-03-26, 10:04 PM
Captain Planet was pretty darn racist to begin with. Though I'm not entirely certain why Michael Bay gets a 'lol racist' reputation - the jive-talking 'black' transformers seem more like an anomaly than a trend. He didn't even Kill The Black Dude First in Armageddon, which is THE quintessential Baysplosion movie.

Coidzor
2012-03-27, 02:15 AM
Captain Planet was pretty darn racist to begin with. Though I'm not entirely certain why Michael Bay gets a 'lol racist' reputation - the jive-talking 'black' transformers seem more like an anomaly than a trend. He didn't even Kill The Black Dude First in Armageddon, which is THE quintessential Baysplosion movie.

They existed at all. That's enough reason for me.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-27, 08:32 AM
They existed at all. That's enough reason for me.

That's kinda like expecting Peter Jackson to have the latter 2/3 of LotR be narrated by Faramir's ghost because he directed The Lovely Bones, but eh, whatever fans your flames.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-27, 09:27 AM

I think Bay is too heavily associated with the people Captain Planet tended to cast as villains for anyone with the rights to it to hand him the director's chair. If they did, it'd be impressive seeing him try to work in the US Military-Industrial Complex as good guys.

And by interesting I mean hilarious.

No brains
2012-03-27, 09:30 AM
Hey, I have a better question: What remakes of remakes will they remake? They remade the remake of The Thing. There was a remake of King Kong which was remade. Dracula 1992 owes itself to Hammer Dracula which owes itself to Universal Dracula which owes itself to Nosferatu which had a docu-drama named Shadow of the Vampire. Remake Shadow of the Vampire!

You know what they should make? A movie of Micheal Bay dying of diarrhoea. His bowels will go through all of the most filthy of all the dark crud-crusted corners of the sewer of the AVGN's mind, and it will still end up as less of a pile of **** as whatever he will make.

He'll walk by Trey Parker and Matt Stone like the acid dissolved guy from Robocop, dying of dehydration. This will make Trey and Matt die of laughter. Which will make Hollywood die of relief. Which will make the rest of the world die from joy. DIE, DIE, EVERYBODY DIE!

Remake The BLOB again! Bleargh-

The Succubus
2012-03-27, 09:47 AM
The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride is a sweet, innocent children's classic. I still watch as an adult from time to time. I'd be really annoyed if someone made a remake of it.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-27, 09:57 AM
Michael Bay Raeg

Wow, did the poor man kick your puppy to death or something?:smallconfused::smallcool:

Serpentine
2012-03-27, 10:07 AM

And not told from the perspective of the titular character, oh no.IIRC, the original story wasn't from the perspective of the titular character anyway...

Hell, how do you remake Red Dawn with a current setting?Set it in Australia and change the Communists to an unnamed Asian country?

Honestly, I'm amazed we haven't heard anything about a Wizard of Oz remake yet, given that:
A) It's one of the few classics that could actually be remade well, assuming its done as an adaptation of the orginal novel.
B) Fantasy is still fairly popular at the moment.Already a remake. (http://www.cracked.com/article_19190_6-classic-movies-you-didnt-know-were-remakes.html) And there was a recent... telemovie? thing that was almost really good, with one of those adorable dark haired girls I always get mixed up. I'd be quite alright with seeing another, though.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-27, 10:08 AM
Wow, did the poor man kick your puppy to death or something?:smallconfused::smallcool:

Why would Michael Bay kick a puppy to death when he could blow it up?

Karoht
2012-03-27, 11:04 AM
@Captain Planet Movie
The first thing I thought of when I heard this was the Avatar: The Last Airbender film, due to all the elemental manipulation involved in that film. And because they would probably be fighting to avert some environmental disaster in a 3rd world nation, Avatar.

So a Captain Planet Movie would be Avatar meets Avatar? Well, then maybe it won't completely suck in the hands of a competant director. Airbender action sequences + Avatar story of a bunch of people trying to stop a corrupt company from causing a huge environmental disaster (destroying a rainforest) for the sake of getting some unobtainium (oil, precious metals, gems, lumber money, etc).
I could see this happening and actually being semi-interesting to watch.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-27, 11:18 AM
Why would Michael Bay kick a puppy to death when he could blow it up?

Obviously, the boot had a shaped charge on the toe.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-27, 11:39 AM
I could see this happening and actually being semi-interesting to watch.

Statistically speaking, it would almost have to be better than either of those movies by itself.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-27, 11:55 AM
Statistically speaking, it would almost have to be better than either of those movies by itself.

90 minutes of a blank black screen would be better than TLA.

Giegue
2012-03-27, 12:15 PM
"So a Captain Planet Movie would be Avatar meets Avatar? Well, then maybe it won't completely suck in the hands of a competant director. Airbender action sequences + Avatar story of a bunch of people trying to stop a corrupt company from causing a huge environmental disaster (destroying a rainforest) for the sake of getting some unobtainium (oil, precious metals, gems, lumber money, etc)."

A captain planet film without one or more of the totally ridiculous supervillians? BLASPHEMY! The crazy neon green suited CEOs, greedy pig-men, human rat hybrids and obvious videogame references in beach cloths are what made that show so awesome! Seriously, though....the captain planet villains where so horridly campy and ridiculous that they where the best part of the whole show....well, them and Captain Planet's horrible puns.

Karoht
2012-03-27, 12:25 PM
90 minutes of a blank black screen would be better than TLA.
My thoughts of M Night Shyamalan are best highlighted by a comparison to another director. Mostly because at this point, I think he's trolling us and any movie studio dumb enough to give him money to make films.
Uwe Boll.

Just going to leave this here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Night_Shyamalan#Sci-Fi_Channel

A captain planet film without one or more of the totally ridiculous supervillians? BLASPHEMY! The crazy neon green suited CEOs, greedy pig-men, human rat hybrids and obvious videogame references in beach cloths are what made that show so awesome! Seriously, though....the captain planet villains where so horridly campy and ridiculous that they where the best part of the whole show....well, them and Captain Planet's horrible puns.Did I say it wouldn't or couldn't have those things? No, no I did not. We can have those things and more, so long as it's treated with some respect and the director is not a derp-fish.

Muz
2012-03-27, 12:52 PM
Hollywood will never remake a movie that was not done well the first time around (despite the fact that these are the only movies that SHOULD be remade), because as far as they're concerned, those movies did poorly the first time and so no one would want to see them again.

Stupid, but seems to be true.

What I can't figure out is why they don't just rerelease the OLD movies into theaters. It's got to be a heck of a lot cheaper than making an entirely new one. (Probably has to do with the rights and being able to scrape more profit with a new one somehow, but...)

Lord Seth
2012-03-27, 01:04 PM
Hollywood will never remake a movie that was not done well the first time around (despite the fact that these are the only movies that SHOULD be remade), because as far as they're concerned, those movies did poorly the first time and so no one would want to see them again.

Stupid, but seems to be true.I'm not sure how it's stupid in any way. Part of the reason you'd be making a remake is for name recognition. If you remake some film no one's ever heard of, you're losing a major part of the whole reason someone would remake a film in the first place.

Muz
2012-03-27, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure how it's stupid in any way. Part of the reason you'd be making a remake is for name recognition. If you remake some film no one's ever heard of, you're losing a major part of the whole reason someone would remake a film in the first place.

It's not stupid from a monetary standpoint, no, but from an artistic standpoint I find it stupid. Something that was badly done should be re-attempted so it can be done well. Something that was well done should NOT be re-attempted (well, generally--certain things can benefit from updating something to modern themes, but most remakes seem to be about cash-grabbing name recognition) because you risk taking a good thing and turning it to garbage.

Karoht
2012-03-27, 02:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Raspberry_Award_for_Worst_Picture
Quite a few films on that list are considered classics now.

Also, notice how films that one best picture at the oscars haven't really had remakes?

I'm not saying the statement is wrong, but films ranging from good to sub par have been earmarked for remakes. The good news, on a few of them they are at least going the distance and treating them seriously. The bad news? Once in a while you get remakes like Guess Who (2005) VS Guess Who is Coming to Dinner (1967).

Then again you get remakes like Dr No and Never say Never again. Both Bond films, both featured Sean Connery, and made less than a decade apart if I'm not mistaken.

Speaking of Bond films, I would love to see remakes of License to Kill an Living Daylights, mostly because the modern context would apply well to both of those scripts. And in my opinion, Daniel Craig is trying to be Timothy Dalton in some scenes. Goldfinger could get a remake, but the script would need some serious overhauling (destroying Fort Knox would be fruitless these days). I loved Goldeneye to bits and a remake could be good but I just don't see the point. I'm sure there are a few others which could stand a touch up.

comicshorse
2012-03-27, 03:02 PM

Stupid, but seems to be true.

' Inglorious Basterds'

Muz
2012-03-27, 03:23 PM
It's also possible that I'm just cynical and bitter today.

Karoht
2012-03-27, 03:57 PM
' Inglorious Basterds'
Something tells me that due to either disinterest or art appreciation (totally depends on the crowd), I just don't expect any of Tarantino's films to see a remake anytime soon.

Gnoman
2012-03-27, 07:49 PM
What I can't figure out is why they don't just rerelease the OLD movies into theaters. It's got to be a heck of a lot cheaper than making an entirely new one. (Probably has to do with the rights and being able to scrape more profit with a new one somehow, but...)

Because the bulk of classic movies would go down in flames at the box office. This is neither an indictment of their quality, or of the tastes of the modern movie-going public. The simple fact is that every film is a product of it's time. The influence of the Hays Code, for example, while not always injurious to the final product, is not going to win a modern audience over. Similarly, no matter how attractive Audrey Hepburn was, or how rugged Bogart could be, film-goers of today want to see the stars of today. Finally, while the story of Moses or the Trapp Family Singers could go over quite well in a modern theater, five-hour biblical epics and musicals are not exactly the genres that are currently popular.

Serpentine
2012-03-28, 01:20 PM
What I can't figure out is why they don't just rerelease the OLD movies into theaters. It's got to be a heck of a lot cheaper than making an entirely new one. (Probably has to do with the rights and being able to scrape more profit with a new one somehow, but...)*goes to cinema*
*sees posters announcing the re-release of both Titannic and Beauty and the Beast in 3D*
*pointed over-glasses look*

Karoht
2012-03-28, 02:19 PM
Beauty and the Beast 3D was the right kind of re-release IMO.
The 3D actually added to the whole 'storybook come to life' effect they were going for with the original. It also served to augment the musical numbers. 'Be Our Guest' was astonishing with 3D. I mean really astonishing.

The only way it could have been better is if they used the chairs at one of the attractions in Disneyland. It's a 3D theatre, they use vibration, they produce smell, and a variety of other effects. That was probably the most realistic 3D I had ever seen in an animated feature, and I'm dead certain they brought over as much of the tech from that attraction as they could to the film.

Come to think of it, aren't they re-releasing some of the Pixar films in some kind of updated 3D? Didn't they do that with Toy Story 1 and 2? I'm game for more of this sort of thing, so long as they put the level of detail in that they did with Beauty.

Gnoman
2012-03-28, 03:42 PM
Also, there's no way that a Titanic movie wouldn't be in theaters this year. It's the 100th anniversary of the disaster. I'm actually surprised that they're just doing a re-release.

Serpentine
2012-03-28, 04:05 PM
Beauty and the Beast works with later-added (gah, what's that word?) 3D? That's good to know.
I think Titanic would've been pretty good in 3D, but from what I gather the effects haven't really held up well. And is it really 100 years? Damn. Did I get copies of those newspapers...? Crud, I don't think I did. I really should've...

No brains
2012-03-28, 07:52 PM
You know what Cameron film totally wouldn't work in 3D? Aliens. :smallamused:

*secretly hopes for re release of Aliens anyway* :smallfrown:

bloodtide
2012-03-28, 11:29 PM
So how does everyone figure this whole remake thing works?

You have The People In Power of Hollywood, who are sitting in a room and approving what movies will be made. You know they get a huge stack of scripts daily. But you also know that 99% of them are beyond bad. So after they say ''No'' to the movie where ''A worm gets cut in half and then must go on a wacky adventure to find itself and true love(with itself)'', how does someone go ''Oh, remember that old TV show or such? Lets remake that!''

I think 21 Jump Street is really, really, really the bottom of the bucket. What else could be left down there, Cop Rock?! Automan?! Charles in Charge?! Wonder Bug?!?!

I might like to see a live action Herculoids, though... Or Thundar!

Lord Seth
2012-03-29, 01:40 AM
I think 21 Jump Street is really, really, really the bottom of the bucket.Uh...how? I admit I only saw one episode, but the show seemed okay to me.
What else could be left down there, Cop Rock?! Automan?! Charles in Charge?! Wonder Bug?!?!Comparing 21 Jump Street to Cop Rock? Really?

dehro
2012-03-29, 04:13 AM
am I the only one who thinks that 3D should never be plastered on 2D movies because the result will suck hairy things?
more specifically, I've only ever seen 1, maybe 2 movies that made 3D look "real"
and not cartoonishly so Hugo being one, and Avatar being a possible second.
any other film (admittedly not that many) that used 3D failed at making the result believable.
I firmly believe that 3D should be limited to cartoons, animation and the likes.
the whole perception of 3D kind of makes any movie that uses it a little bit less "real and believable", which doesn't matter much in animation but which seriously affects anything else.
basically 3D has the opposite effect on me that it should have, because instead of "drawing me in" it mostly makes me go :smallconfused:

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-29, 08:54 AM
I have no idea why 3D ever came back as a popular thing, other than "James Cameron has too much money and nothing better to do with it". It's goofy, ugly, headache-inducing technology that should really have been left to die in the occasional prime-time TV ratings stunt.

Karoht
2012-03-29, 09:28 AM
I agree that 3D is a gimmick, but when used correctly it is spectacular. Beauty was a perfect example of that.
I should express that I really really dislike 3D, so me saying that about Beauty is a big deal. I didn't mind it in Avatar, but I didn't enjoy it there either.

bloodtide
2012-03-29, 11:48 PM
I wish they would remake Firefly :smallsmile: That is 'remake' with all the original cast...

We could also use a Transformers remake.....you know a movie about giant, transforming robots that A)has minimal humans in it and even more importantly: B)Is not some whacked out conspiracy lovers dream about how absolutely everything in history is some crazy wacky story about Transformers. (Really what is left for Transformers 4, a Decepticon-Assassin bot was the second shooter on the grassy knoll).

The Glyphstone
2012-03-30, 09:39 AM
Earth is actually Unicron asleep, and they have to stop it from waking up?

No brains
2012-03-30, 05:05 PM
''A worm gets cut in half and then must go on a wacky adventure to find itself and true love(with itself)'

I would actually like to see that. That sounds like it has a lot of potential for satire and commentary on the human conditioner. :P

Now here's a pitch for a craptacular movie:

"Some white dude who was vaguely well received in some tv pilot/ shampoo commercial has some trouble with cops but has cool cars. Can his cool cars help his trouble with the cops and get him a shallow skank?"

bloodtide
2012-03-31, 12:15 AM
Earth is actually Unicron asleep, and they have to stop it from waking up?

Oh No: Earth is actually Unicron, in stasis lock, but he is on a time clock to wake up. The wake up date: 12/12/12. Yup, the Mayans knew about Unicron(and how he,er, woke-up and destroyed everything thing four times before). And the earthquakes from the last couple years are from Unicron starting to wake up. And Unicron is also the cause of global warming, as more of his engines start up again it makes the planet warmer.

Or is Unicron just The Moon, ready to wake up and eat the Earth...

Serpentine
2012-03-31, 09:47 AM
Oh my God. That is not only starting to sound like a movie someone would actually make, but also one I'd actually watch.

Xondoure
2012-03-31, 01:43 PM
Oh No: Earth is actually Unicron, in stasis lock, but he is on a time clock to wake up. The wake up date: 12/12/12. Yup, the Mayans knew about Unicron(and how he,er, woke-up and destroyed everything thing four times before). And the earthquakes from the last couple years are from Unicron starting to wake up. And Unicron is also the cause of global warming, as more of his engines start up again it makes the planet warmer.

Or is Unicron just The Moon, ready to wake up and eat the Earth...

Also, earth's industry is actually subconscious programming from Unicron for humanity to start up his engines. We are his transforming mechanism.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-31, 02:17 PM
This already sounds significantly better than the first three live-action Transformers.

Serpentine
2012-03-31, 03:05 PM
Someone* get on this.

*not Michael Bay

bloodtide
2012-04-01, 01:01 AM
Also, earth's industry is actually subconscious programming from Unicron for humanity to start up his engines. We are his transforming mechanism.

Yup: Unicron is a Republican. Unicron needs us to pump out the 'waste' oil, so he can fill the under ground chambers with Energon. And a bad environment will kill off the surplus human scum.