PDA

View Full Version : House Rule Feat (Pathfinder)

ScubaGoomba
2012-03-23, 07:54 AM
So in the Q/A thread, I asked about oversized weapons due to letting a player of mine pick up a Large Falchion. Now, I realize I should have found the rules before letting him pick it up, but what's done is done.

I'm thinking of making a feat for him to pick up so he can use the weapon. It seems entirely reasonable for his character to be able to handle it with some training (Strength 20 Oread Barbarian), but I'm curious what you would suggest.

I'm thinking pre-reqs along the lines of "Strength 20, BAB +6" in order to use it without penalty and maybe a -6 penalty to use it until then? The players are all level 4 right now, so he'll be stuck with negs for a while, but the benefits that the weapon offer (2d6 damage and 18-20 crit range) might make that worth it for him. He's a pretty reasonable guy, so I think he'd be understanding of the penalties that I'd throw due to it technically being against the rules, but I do want it to work in the rules for him eventually.

Thanks!

PS: Just thought that, maybe, this could be a Rage Power that allows him to be treated one size larger during a rage?

Krazzman
2012-03-23, 08:40 AM
I'm thinking of making a feat for him to pick up so he can use the weapon. It seems entirely reasonable for his character to be able to handle it with some training (Strength 20 Oread Barbarian), but I'm curious what you would suggest.

I'm thinking pre-reqs along the lines of "Strength 20, BAB +6" in order to use it without penalty and maybe a -6 penalty to use it until then? The players are all level 4 right now, so he'll be stuck with negs for a while,

PS: Just thought that, maybe, this could be a Rage Power that allows him to be treated one size larger during a rage?

2 Things. I would think -6 is reasonable.
But for the feat I would advice you to make it either BaB+5 (so he gets it next level up) or make it a Rage Power. I would advice against your Enlarge Person Rage Power.

Rage Power
Titangripped Rage:
Prereq: Barbarian Level 6th, Str 20
Effect: While raging a Barbarian with this Rage Power gains the benefits of Powerful Build, effectively negating his malus to hit. This Ragepower grants the Barbarian the benefit of halving his malus with Oversized weapons outside of his rage. (alternatively give them a +2 to hit with oversized weapons).

ScubaGoomba
2012-03-23, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the quick response! Where can I find Powerful Build? I've heard it mentioned before but, for the life of me, I can't find it in my books :[

Keneth
2012-03-23, 09:37 AM
Half-giants (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant) have it in Pathfinder (Dreamscarred, third party publisher). You can easily model after that.

ScubaGoomba
2012-03-23, 02:08 PM
Ah, excellent! That's essentially what I was looking for in the Rage Power. I'll talk to the player and see what he thinks.

Drelua
2012-03-23, 03:34 PM
In case you want some other options, how about this rage power:

Freudian Phallic Complex (Because all therapists know that size really does matter.)
Requirements: Barbarian Level 4, Strength 19. (It's doesn't matter, but I read somewhere that feats shouldn't have even-numbered ability score requirements, just so the odd numbers have some point. Then again, it's a fair bit easier to get 19 than 20 at this level.)
Benefit: When raging, the barbarian removes the cap on what inappropriately sized weapons (see page 144 of the Core Rulebook) they can use. The weapon is treated always treated as two-handed, and an additional -2 penalty applies for every size category of the weapon over the normal limit, however they may also subtract one-half their adjusted strength bonus, rounded down, from the final penalty. This means that a medium Barbarian with a strength of 24 while raging may wield a large two-handed weapon with only a -1 penalty.

Is one-half of the character's STR Mod too low? I considered making it STR Mod -2, but I thought that would be too low. It almost seems too good for a Titan Mauler, but then I think the designers that made it forgot about the rule that doesn't let them use over-sized weapons to any real advantage. What do you think?