PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure what illness Michael Bay has got, but apparently it's catching...

dehro
2012-03-23, 08:26 AM
..or maybe it's the guy's surname..the idiocy might be seeping from there too.

I'm talking about one Perez Hilton, whom I was happy to ignore until he went and compiled a list of movies from the 80s that he thought needed rebooting. I can't believe the man gets paid to spout this nonsense.

way to go, moron! you picked some of the absolute classics of those years. movies that are just that good that nobody in his right frame of mind would ever consider it.
had you picked a load f b-movies that didn't make it because of budget issues or studio executives putting their fingers where it doesn't belong..movies without a cult status or following..then why not..but ...well..here are the movies he listed.

look for yourself.

E.T.
Raiders of the lost Ark
Blade Runner (last I heard someone bought the right to make a sequel or prequel.. "because we're such fans, and not at all because we want to bank on the reputation to make a mint"...yeah, right!)
Lethal Weapon
The Shining
Airplane
The Terminator
Teen Witch (I'll admit I didn't even know of it's existence)
Overboard
Die Hard
Raising Arizona
The Princess Bride
The Goonies
The Last Starfighter
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Scarface
Poltergeist
Back to the Future
The Lost Boys
The Little Mermaid
The Never Ending Story
Field of Dreams
Big
The 'Burbs
Caddyshack
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Road Warrior
Stand By Me

I can't think of a single one of them that I would want to see remade. they're either too good not to be ruined by some dweeb with an inch of the talent of whoever made the original, not to mention the occasional movie that was just perfect in it's balance of "not really good but still tugging at all the right chords"..which is impossible to remake
...or they're just so bad that if I wouldn't watch it the first time around, why should I bother with a remake?
anyhoo, the purpose of this thread is twofold... it's either a place to rant against the idea of remaking any of these movies, or one in particular... or a place where to suggest, if you actually wouldn't mind a remake, a modern day alternative lineup for the cast.

Starbuck_II
2012-03-23, 11:58 AM
Poltergiest?! :smalleek:
Does he not remember every cast member were cursed for being part of it?
Does he want more to suffer? Stop playing with Indian burial grounds!

Goonies only if they finally makew the sequel.

The Road Warrior well it didn't deserve its R rating so maybe this time it will be rated PG 13 correctly.

leafman
2012-03-23, 12:23 PM
Most of those movies are perfectly fine the way they are. Some of the movies on the list probably wouldn't work in a modern context. I mean I don't think the truffle shuffle would go over well with modern audiences. There's too much of a zeitgeist in those films to be properly translated over to a new film.

Also, movie makers need to stop being nostalgic and come up with new "classics". Piggybacking off Steven Spielberg's success won't bring you the fame that you'll need when you want to do something original.

Omergideon
2012-03-23, 12:46 PM
From that list, If I remember seeing the film I have less than no desire to see it rebooted. So that is an indication that of the other ones I would want to see a reboot of.....roughly none of them.

I mean ET, The Little Mermaid, Die Hard or the Princess Bride! These are films I could comfirtably enjoy at any time as is, and would blame nobody for putting in their personal Top Ten lists (18, 17, 23 and 5 myself for each one respectively). Why remake them? They are perfect as is, or do we need a CG Mermain or Shaky Cam Die Hard?

Maxios
2012-03-23, 01:04 PM
Thankfully, a new Die Hard will be out next year; so I heavily doubt it will get rebooted. I can see Hollywood remaking The Lost Boys, or Scarface, or the Shining; however.

warty goblin
2012-03-23, 01:10 PM
Thankfully, a new Die Hard will be out next year; so I heavily doubt it will get rebooted.

Isn't that sort of like saying 'fortunately I'll drown soon, so I won't have to worry about suffocation?"

VanBuren
2012-03-23, 01:22 PM
I dunno. I mean, I thought a sort-of reboot of 21 Jump Street would have been a terrible idea, but it seemed to work out pretty well.

Then again, it knew exactly what it was and wasn't afraid to make fun of that.

Moglorosh
2012-03-23, 01:30 PM
This thread shocks and appalls me. It seriously disturbs me to the very foundation of my being.

I mean, honestly, I had no idea that anyone gave a crap about what Perez Hilton thinks.

Mewtarthio
2012-03-23, 02:07 PM
I can see Hollywood remaking The Lost Boys, or Scarface, or the Shining; however.

Forget Hollywood; Stephen King himself is writing a sequel to The Shining.

dehro
2012-03-23, 06:03 PM
I need a videoclip of sheldon cooper when penny cuts in on his compulsive knocking and he replies "that's just wrong" to reply to these things.

as for the hilton guy..I was barely aware he existed before today and I'll be happy to go back to ignoring him..but what he's "said" can't be unsaid, and there are people who have "liked" the idea....which surprises me

Xondoure
2012-03-23, 07:00 PM
The only film on that list that made me think maybe was the Never Ending Story. Just get someone like del Toro on the project.

Pokonic
2012-03-23, 09:01 PM
The only film on that list that made me think maybe was the Never Ending Story. Just get someone like del Toro on the project.

This. No, realy. The question is whether or not the special effects should be a puppet/CGI mix or pure puppetry overlayed with CGI. No matter what, it would look great.

Hida Reju
2012-03-23, 09:55 PM
Actually the Last Starfighter does not need a remake it needs a sequel. Just cast the original Alex as the new CO of the Starfighter Command and pull in a new cast to show the new recruits. Hell one of the main characters was a face changing alien anyway so you can cast him as anyone.

factotum
2012-03-24, 12:55 AM
Let's be honest here, the only halfway good reason for remaking an old movie is so you can do it with better SFX, and hardly any of the films on that list were effects-heavy to start with. Of the few that are, things like the Last Starfighter actually get most of their charm from having such antiquated effects in them, and I really don't see a remake being particularly useful.

Gnoman
2012-03-24, 02:18 PM
Let's be honest here, the only halfway good reason for remaking an old movie is so you can do it with better SFX, and hardly any of the films on that list were effects-heavy to start with. Of the few that are, things like the Last Starfighter actually get most of their charm from having such antiquated effects in them, and I really don't see a remake being particularly useful.

There's also tons of works that suffered badly from executive meddling (the original Battlestar Galactica), were somewhat limited as adaptations of popular works (The Rankin-Bass Lord of The Rings/The Hobbit), were derailed by budget issues, or are simply so old that the current generation of filmgoers has too much culture shock. There's lots of good reasons to make a remake.There's only a few bad reasons to do so. The bad reasons are more apparent becuase they tend to do a poor job, and are somewhat more common.

TheThan
2012-03-24, 05:21 PM
These films have stood the test of time (30ish years) for a reason. Could people do a good remake of them? Sure, but the thing is, these films aren’t in need of a remake. They still stand up and worth watching.

tomandtish
2012-03-25, 12:34 PM
Actually, search IMDB for a movie called "Starfighter", in pre-production last I heard. Sequel to Last Starfighter set 25 years later, I believe...

MCerberus
2012-03-25, 12:48 PM
I'm tempted to see the inappropriate Baysplosions taken to a horrible horrible end. A film version of The Giver directed by Bay?

thegurullamen
2012-03-25, 01:17 PM
Forget Hollywood; Stephen King himself is writing a sequel to The Shining.

Hell, they remake that thing every five years. It's just none of them make it to the big screen. I think we're on the sixth iteration now.

Solaris
2012-03-25, 01:27 PM
Actually the Last Starfighter does not need a remake it needs a sequel. Just cast the original Alex as the new CO of the Starfighter Command and pull in a new cast to show the new recruits. Hell one of the main characters was a face changing alien anyway so you can cast him as anyone.

Actually, search IMDB for a movie called "Starfighter", in pre-production last I heard. Sequel to Last Starfighter set 25 years later, I believe...

Never happen, or if it does it'll suck. The cosmos won't let me have nice things, y'see.

Pokonic
2012-03-25, 02:10 PM
I'm tempted to see the inappropriate Baysplosions taken to a horrible horrible end. A film version of The Giver directed by Bay?

"You see, in order to see red, you must fight it!"

Coidzor
2012-03-25, 02:44 PM
I can see Hollywood remaking The Lost Boys

Honestly, as long as it was a rebuke of Twilight rather than trying to be twilite, I'd be perfectly OK with that.

MCerberus
2012-03-25, 03:21 PM
"You see, in order to see red, you must fight it!"

The final scenes will be an army of pale-eyed children exploding THE SYSTEM.

Pokonic
2012-03-25, 06:17 PM
The final scenes will be an army of pale-eyed children exploding THE SYSTEM.

But before that, he will have to slidedown Everest using a red sled, during a avalanch, and before that he would have to fight in the middle of a war zone. Or something. Argg, this is starting to sound plausible!:smalleek: