PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on FFI:DoS characters/parties

danzibr
2012-03-23, 10:41 AM
I played the original Final Fantasy on the NES a good few times, and recently played the Dawn of Souls version twice on my phone. For those of you who weren't aware, they updated the original Final Fantasy (beyond the WonderSwan Color version), making a good few changes. Graphics, of course. They also raised the level cap to 99, implemented an MP system and added a bunch of dungeons (and hence, equipment).

I'm going to share my thoughts from the point of view of end-game of Dawn of Souls. You can solo the main body of the game as just about any class (probably any class, I dunno, never tried), but I'm talking about beating the uber bosses and whatnot.

In alphabetical order...

Black Belt: Very nice. Yes, they have terrible defense, but their offense is by far the best in the game, and the big boss battles come down to putting out as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. Turn 1, have your Black Belt use Giant's Glove and someone caste Haste on them, turn 2 swing for ridiculous damage.

Black Mage: Not good at all. Which saddens me as I love the Black Mage. At the end of the game Black Mage will only clear large groups of mobs (which you can easily do with a couple people using Mage Staff/Black Shirt/Gauntlets) and buffing your melee (which Ninja and Red Wizard can do). Their offense just isn't up to snuff... again, sad, considering that's what they're meant to do.

Red Mage: Pretty decent. They have mediocre physical offense, pretty poor physical defense, and not a very good array of spells. End game they pretty much only buff because they can't heal very well (only Curaga, no Heal spells outside of items).

Thief: Very nice. Casting Haste and Temper is great, and they have excellent physical offense and defense (I'm talking Ninja here). It's really Haste plus the physical offense that takes the cake.

Warrior: Very nice. Second best physical offense combined with NulShock and NulBlaze. They also have great hp and defense (absorb).

White Mage: Absolutely necessary. In fact, they're not absolutely necessary, but they'll make your life a lot easier. When fighting super bosses you'll really want Healaga and Full-life, in particular the former.

With all this considered, my party of preference, if I'm going for as much boss stomping power as possible, would be:

Warrior/Ninja/Black Belt/White Mage.

Ninja casts Haste 3 times, Warrior can buff and use Giant's Gloves, Black Belt can use Giant's Gloves and attack, White Mage can heal and buff.