PDA

View Full Version : Non-Magical Perks from a Higher Power?

Palanan
2012-03-23, 04:12 PM
Are there any mechanical benefits, however minor, that might come with devotion to a divine power?

I'm starting a campaign in the Forgotten Realms, where virtually everyone has a divine patron, and they often propitiate other powers as well. I'm wondering if there are any variant rules that allow for a very modest benefit to characters who would otherwise have no divine connection, such as fighters, rogues, knights, etc.

For instance, I've occasionally used a house rule that grants a benefit when a character acts in a way that perfectly embodies the teachings of their patron. It doesn't happen that often; the last time, the patron granted +1 on all saves for the rest of that day. I've seen something similar, in another game, when a character openly declared allegiance to a patron. Are there other examples out there?

Anything?

DrMike105
2012-03-23, 06:26 PM
Try looking in the Complete Champion, lots of divine ACFs there.

Rubik
2012-03-23, 06:44 PM
The mindless devotion of dozens of people who do anything you say because they're True Believers?

Palanan
2012-03-23, 07:09 PM
I'm not looking for ACFs as such, just very minor benefits that an especially devout, non-magical character might occasionally receive. Fleeting favor of the goddess and so on. This would be more for flavor than anything that would contribute to a build.

Rubik
2012-03-23, 07:12 PM
I'm not looking for ACFs as such, just very minor benefits that an especially devout, non-magical character might occasionally receive. Fleeting favor of the goddess and so on. This would be more for flavor than anything that would contribute to a build.Money? Whitetext

Heatwizard
2012-03-23, 07:18 PM
Give 'em one of the Devotion feats; aside from the ones like Knowledge Devotion, they're generally just 1/day neat tricks. Trickery Devotion lets you summon an illusory clone for a minute, Law Devotion gives you a buff to AC or attack for a few rounds, stuff like that.

rot42
2012-03-23, 07:24 PM
Look at the Affiliation and Teamwork benefits in PHB II or the Companion Spirits in DMG II for various minor but nifty benefits that scale with level. Affiliation scores represent a particular organization liking you, and give things like discount healing or magic items on loan; there are more example affiliations in Eberron and Tome of Magic and I think several other books. The Teamwork benefits are mostly about allowing one person with high ranks to help a party with fewer ranks in a given skill - show them how to hide better or whatever; the boon might consist of the benefit once, waiving the requirement. The Companion Spirits give a party a common pool of floating bonuses. Any of these could be refluffed as a one-time minor deific boon.

You might also consider giving the benefit of a one-use magic item; next time you are about to fall to your doom, your deity will cast Feather Fall on you (like that amulet in MIC, but without taking a slot or being subject to theft).

Palanan
2012-03-24, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by rot42
Look at the Affiliation and Teamwork benefits in PHB II or the Companion Spirits in DMG II for various minor but nifty benefits that scale with level.

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and the companion spirits in particular fit the flavor I was leaning towards. Thanks for the suggestions, right on target.